G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 07:17 AM
ColumbiaSkinny

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
What about while mounting the tires? I've heard some horror stories. I'd be devastated if they damaged my new wheels.
As Sean mentioned 80-85ft lbs. Recheck after about 100 miles of driving.

As far as mounting. JMO, keep it on the real. Be friendly yet firm in a respectful way. Let them know their brand spanking new without a scratch and you want to keep them that way. Then go stand outside the pit your car is in and watch them MFers like a hawk..... Oorah!
The following users liked this post:
ZahyMatar (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 08:20 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Also, take a wire brush to your hubs prior to installing the new wheels, just one less thing that may cause vibration.
This is good advice... but doubtful the shop will bother unless there's something obvious.

Originally Posted by iCrap
You take a bunch of photos of EACH wheel before you hand them over to them.
This is also good advice. Each wheel.

Originally Posted by iCrap
Then obviously inspect them before leaving the shop.
And then this, obviously.

Originally Posted by ColumbiaSkinny
As Sean mentioned 80-85ft lbs. Recheck after about 100 miles of driving.
And this. You might want to buy a Torque wrench. They run around $40, give or take. Keep it in the trunk.

Originally Posted by blnewt
Just be sure they hand torque the lug nuts, don't let an air impact wrench anywhere near those babies.
This is good advice if you're worried about scratching your rims. But because these are OEM wheels, you're using OEM flat-washer seat lug nuts... so damage is less of a concern than if you had tapered-seat lug nuts slammed on with an impact gun.

Be polite, be genuine and confident. Ask them to hand thread the lug nuts before using a torque wrench to finish.
ZahyMatar (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 09:14 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Really appreciate it guys, I just got off the phone with the Firestone on base and the man who answered the phone sounded very firm. They use a Hunter Touchless mounting machine and even have a road-force balancer so I'm not as worried. He also stated they would be held responsible in case they were to damage my wheels, but of course I will make sure that is clear with them once I get there.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:32 PM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
^awesome wheels...congrats!
Old 01-13-2016, 12:33 PM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
I couldn’t wait any longer so I had some free time to install the Eibach rear sway bar last night. The process took about 30 minutes once I got the rear backed up on ramps. It was pretty straight forward. I have the power tools so I made quick work of the nuts/bolts. The Eibach rear sway came with bushings and some grease packets. I ended up going with Prothane bushing lubricant (contacted Energy Suspension and had them send out 6 of the small packs - only used 3, so I have some left over).

It just amazes me how this the stock AWD Sedan rear sway bar is - I mean to read about it from others and to finally get down there and remove it…geez. The feel of the Eibach is very hefty - I think it’s 29mm or so. I used the mildest setting for winter driving, but will experiment to the middle setting in the spring.

I took the car out for a drive last night but didn’t push it - felt sturdy and noticeably different. Then I took the car for a drive this morning and jumped on the hwy with moderate speeds and turns. Really feels like the car behaves better and more neutral. took a turn at a location which used to give the car some unwanted understeer at speed, now with the improved rear sway bar - understeer is gone!

Overall, I’m happy with the immediate positive results. I’m anxious for the spring so I can get everything else dialed in - 19” wheels, performance tires, lowering springs, etc…my basement is a holding bin for all of my mods LOL.

So for those of you that don’t want to go the Hotchkis route or OE rear sport sway bar, the Eibach is a great alternative. I was able to pick mine up for $165, I’ve seen it as high as $210 at Stillen.

Eibach Part # 6393.312

Here’s a pix of Big Red next to skinny mini

Name:  IMG_3561_zps1ne4twyf.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  92.4 KB

Side by side OE vs Eibach rear sway bar bushings…..

Old 01-13-2016, 12:46 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by CPJ LB
I couldn’t wait any longer so I had some free time to install the Eibach rear sway bar last night. The process took about 30 minutes once I got the rear backed up on ramps. It was pretty straight forward. I have the power tools so I made quick work of the nuts/bolts. The Eibach rear sway came with bushings and some grease packets. I ended up going with Prothane bushing lubricant (contacted Energy Suspension and had them send out 6 of the small packs - only used 3, so I have some left over).

It just amazes me how this the stock AWD Sedan rear sway bar is - I mean to read about it from others and to finally get down there and remove it…geez. The feel of the Eibach is very hefty - I think it’s 29mm or so. I used the mildest setting for winter driving, but will experiment to the middle setting in the spring.

I took the car out for a drive last night but didn’t push it - felt sturdy and noticeably different. Then I took the car for a drive this morning and jumped on the hwy with moderate speeds and turns. Really feels like the car behaves better and more neutral. took a turn at a location which used to give the car some unwanted understeer at speed, now with the improved rear sway bar - understeer is gone!

Overall, I’m happy with the immediate positive results. I’m anxious for the spring so I can get everything else dialed in - 19” wheels, performance tires, lowering springs, etc…my basement is a holding bin for all of my mods LOL.

So for those of you that don’t want to go the Hotchkis route or OE rear sport sway bar, the Eibach is a great alternative. I was able to pick mine up for $165, I’ve seen it as high as $210 at Stillen.

Eibach Part # 6393.312

Here’s a pix of Big Red next to skinny mini

Side by side OE vs Eibach rear sway bar bushings…..

Wow, that's a huge difference. Can't wait to get my Hotchkis front/rear sway bars and swift springs this Spring.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Anyone who's pushed the G Sedan into a turn knows that the car understeers. Really bad, too. Even the RWD Sport model understeers. It's a horrible and helpless feeling. But all you have to do to correct it is upgrade to aftermarket swaybars. Instantly, understeer is gone, and you can oversteer on command. (Assuming you turn off traction control.)

It's always fun to read the OMG moments from members here. Good for you, CPJ LB!
CPJ LB (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 03:42 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
^ Yeah the sway bars are seriously a great upgrade

My door sill project is done, here are some pics. If anyone wants I can write up a DIY on how to make some

Old 01-13-2016, 03:51 PM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
That looks really good. I'd love to see a DIY!
Old 01-13-2016, 04:15 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 508 Likes on 437 Posts
Wifey texted me that there is a pile of 19" Michelin Pilot Super Sports waiting for me at home

Wheels are scheduled to get here tomorrow

Said wife also suggested I ask my dad to taxi me around on Saturday "because I know you're going to want to get your wheels and tires on". And that's why I love her
Old 01-13-2016, 04:35 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Wifey texted me that there is a pile of 19" Michelin Pilot Super Sports waiting for me at home

Wheels are scheduled to get here tomorrow

Said wife also suggested I ask my dad to taxi me around on Saturday "because I know you're going to want to get your wheels and tires on". And that's why I love her
Count your blessings.

Great wife and a new set of wheels and tires. Though that might not be listed in the correct order of importance.

Sean
Old 01-13-2016, 07:00 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Anyone who's pushed the G Sedan into a turn knows that the car understeers. Really bad, too. Even the RWD Sport model understeers. It's a horrible and helpless feeling. But all you have to do to correct it is upgrade to aftermarket swaybars. Instantly, understeer is gone, and you can oversteer on command. (Assuming you turn off traction control.)

It's always fun to read the OMG moments from members here. Good for you, CPJ LB!
Im actually postponing my intake upgrade till I install new sways. Too many oh **** moments on tight turns...

On another note, I took blnewt's lead, and bought some aluminum amp *****:

Last edited by hexotic; 01-13-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:13 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Just picked my car from the dealership. The rattle noise if finally gone after having both of my catalyic converter replaced.

Rochester was correct when he diagnosed the problem. Loose substrate in the cats.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:59 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Hex - Those looks nice with the wood trim. Sorta fancy.

I'm on the fence about them, though, for myself. I guess it's probably a priority thing, and then I don't go back up my list again and re-visit.

Sean
Old 01-13-2016, 08:19 PM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
G37 Sedan *Chat Thread*

I was supposed to have my hvac ***** from China three weeks ago. The USPS lost it en route to my local post office. It literally had one more stop to make, customs already passed, etc.
Now I'm trying to get them to send me another set. It's only $4, so even if they won't it's not a big deal, but I was supposed to have them already!
My hatred of the USPS knows no bounds.

They look great, though, hexotic!

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread