G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 10:38 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
I really do appreciate your input, but in the position I am right now, I just spent $2,100 on wheels and tires (may not be much to you) and I really can't see myself spending anymore than that. My original limit was ~$1500. I understand that AS tires don't compare to summer tires but I still think it will be a better ride than the tires that came with my car.

On another note, do you think I should just get the OEM midnight grille or do something with my current one?
Do you see what you did here? You just compromised on a necessary expense, while declaring an interest in an entirely unnecessary one.... and you did this at the exact same time. That's pretty amazing. It's like people who spend thousands of dollars on shoes and jewelry, but never get their teeth fixed, know what I mean?

Carry on.

Oh, and I recommend painting your current grille. Remove it, take it to a shop, have it done professionally.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-11-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:55 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Do you see what you did here? You just compromised on a necessary expense, while declaring an interest in an entirely unnecessary one.... and you did this at the exact same time. That's pretty amazing. It's like people who spend thousands of dollars on shoes and jewelry, but never get their teeth fixed, know what I mean?

Carry on.

Oh, and I recommend painting your current grille. Remove it, take it to a shop, have it done professionally.
Well I have a tendency to do that. Hahaha.

Would a black chrome finish similar to my wheels work well? I was thinking the midnight grille would look out of place. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:58 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Would a black chrome finish similar to my wheels work well?
I don't think so. The current finish on that plastic is already somewhat like Black Chrome, whereas the slats on the Midnight Grille are a gloss black metallic flake. I'd go with that.

Or... some people do that on the slats, while having the perimeter painted the color of the car. That's not a bad look, either.
The following users liked this post:
ZahyMatar (01-11-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 11:03 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

I don't think so. The current finish on that plastic is already somewhat like Black Chrome, whereas the slats on the Midnight Grille are a gloss black metallic flake. I'd go with that.

Or... some people do that on the slats, while having the perimeter painted the color of the car. That's not a bad look, either.
Ahh okay, makes sense. Haven't seen a VR sedan with a painted perimeter yet. I guess it'll be easier to figure out once my wheels are on. (Monday is the latest) I'll be dropping her off for the next couple of days to get serviced, and then I'll be away for another two weeks because of training. I'll have plenty of time to think.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:31 PM
ocie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
what year is your sedan? I mean mine is 2013 and while I don't do many things on my car myself due to lack of place to do it, lack of skills/knowledge and lack of time in many cases, but I did my Hotchkis swaybars myself, well actually the front one because the rear was installed by my brother while I was gone getting my BBK powdercoated. Rear for sure is much more of a PITA due to the exhaust having to come off partially so you can put the swaybar in, but the front was pretty easy and I did it all by myself
It's a 2012.

Originally Posted by pledes23
If you have a Mavis discount tire near you they charge $90 plus take. The breakdown is $45 each one. That's how much I just paid to get mine on.
Nope, those are just around the northeastern part of the country as far as I know.

I ended up ordering an electric impact wrench and a set of impact sockets (it was unnecessary for me to get 10+ gallon air compressor at this time, maybe in a few years).

More expensive in the short run to get the wrench and sockets, but I can now do a lot more work on my G and whatever other projects I decide to take on.

Gotta start building up a tool set sooner or later.

I'll give the sway bar install another go later in the week when it's above 15 degrees out.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:44 PM
ColumbiaSkinny

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Just finished shopping for some tires. Decided to go with the BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 All Season for my new wheels. Wheels, tires and TPMS should be here later this week. I'm so excited!
Love to get some feed back on the BFG A/S when you get some miles on them. I've been looking at these myself. They offer a 235/50 size that i'd like to put on next time i need a set, where the BFG Sport Comp2 Summer don't. The A/S is getting pretty high praise for being "A/S" that perform extremely well in the summer when being pushed hard on curvy roads.

I love the Sport Comp2s i have. Their not Max Summer but Ultra High Performance Summers and they handle and grip great. Did my first tire rotation on them (5k) when i installed my exhaust and the wear was excellent. Getting a solid, grippy 35K from them should be no problem i think but i'll see as they start to wear more....

I haven't learned how to imbed videos yet (well, that was easy lol)....

Old 01-11-2016, 07:31 PM
pledes23
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Hey Folks I have a quick question. I recently purchased my snow tires SNOW BS BLIZZAK WS-80 BK. I was told they have about a 200 mile break in period before they actually begin to grip cold temperatures. I am currently at 300 miles and the car is still gripping less than my summer tires.

I took the opportunity and installed my sways and rear endlinks. Sways are set to soft up front and medium on rear.

The back end wants to give way even when on a straight away doing 55-65. I've also notice it's been doing this at lower speeds 25-35 when taking turns on a wide on/off ramp or even when changing lanes.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. My next plan is to take them back and either swap them out for the LM-32 or Michelin Ice-X.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:47 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ColumbiaSkinny
Love to get some feed back on the BFG A/S when you get some miles on them. I've been looking at these myself. They offer a 235/50 size that i'd like to put on next time i need a set, where the BFG Sport Comp2 Summer don't. The A/S is getting pretty high praise for being "A/S" that perform extremely well in the summer when being pushed hard on curvy roads.

I love the Sport Comp2s i have. Their not Max Summer but Ultra High Performance Summers and they handle and grip great. Did my first tire rotation on them (5k) when i installed my exhaust and the wear was excellent. Getting a solid, grippy 35K from them should be no problem i think but i'll see as they start to wear more....

I haven't learned how to imbed videos yet (well, that was easy lol)....

The Race Dezert Rode-Swap with Andrew Comrie-Picard | BFGoodrich Canada - YouTube
Definitely will do!

Also, got to see some black chrome wheels in person today. (Dealerships car)
It's so nice!

ColumbiaSkinny (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 10:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

The new Q60 was on display yesterday, without any surprises at the reveal.

It was confirmed that there will be no 6MT, as expected. But apparently no DCT, either. So while a 400hp TT 3.0 V6 is an attractive element to the high-end model (that's likely to be way-y overpriced), if you have to shove it down the road with a slushbox, I just don't see the point.

Over in the Coupe forum, the fan-boys are drooling, eager to throw new-model money at Nissan as soon as they can. It's kind of funny.
Mik3G37S (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 11:43 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
The new Q60 was on display yesterday, without any surprises at the reveal.

It was confirmed that there will be no 6MT, as expected. But apparently no DCT, either. So while a 400hp TT 3.0 V6 is an attractive element to the high-end model (that's likely to be way-y overpriced), if you have to shove it down the road with a slushbox, I just don't see the point.

Over in the Coupe forum, the fan-boys are drooling, eager to throw new-model money at Nissan as soon as they can. It's kind of funny.
They mentioned a revised 7AT. Who knows, it could be great.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:06 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MaQG37
They mentioned a revised 7AT. Who knows, it could be great.
But if Infiniti wants this car to compete with other cars in it's class, they should've included a DCT. Even the Hyundai Veloster Turbo has a DCT.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:46 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by ColumbiaSkinny
My first car (not my car in the pic bu the same color)....

My first car was an '82 Celica GT liftback with 5-speed manual (photo not mine).

Sedan Chat Thread-8vc3dxq.jpg

Myles
ColumbiaSkinny (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 01:15 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Myles - Those are so sweet. When I was younger I lusted after one of those very cars. Still beautiful...and a real time capsule of that era in design.

Sean
Old 01-12-2016, 06:55 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
Winter driving kills me... Washed the car yesterday, freak snowstorm hit overnight because of a sudden change in wind from the great lakes. This is after 3 hours total driving.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:26 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
better pic of my door sill project. old vs new
gotta do the 2nd one then i can install them tomorrow

hexotic (01-12-2016)

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread