G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 02:09 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Yes, yearly. OBDC readings and visual inspection, but they don't sniff. IDK who does anymore, because lots of states phased that out. California, maybe?

FI cats would pass the visual inspection, because well, it looks like a cat and "there it is", but not if the visual inspection was looking for the appropriate stamp on the cats. That's the part that has me concerned.

There's no "stamp" on the side of these cats AFAIK, other than the rather obvious branding, which I think I'll sand off:

May not have to, IIRC mine didn't have that branding on them.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:20 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
All new members in the Sedan Chat Thread need to go to the original post and thank Elohel, even though he hasn't posted here in three weeks... just because it's fun to see how many *thanks* can be collected on a single post.
I think he's pissed off at his G, at the moment LOL. It does not like the cold weather in his climate.

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
May not have to, IIRC mine didn't have that branding on them.
I talked to Tony at FI - some get branded and some don't. As they're trying to roll out sets of these, some take the time to press the brand and others don't.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:12 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Does anyone here actually have their OEM cats handy? Wondering if/where there is a CARB "stamp" on them.

Sometimes I feel like I'm wandering into nonsense, completely misinterpreting things.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:21 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
John I have in a box at home. I'll take a look and post some pics later if you still need them. This will ensure I actually pick them up and get them out of the dining room so thank you.

May be a little late, I need to try and deliver some headlights, finish installing my flappy paddles and try to get the engine bay covers off tonight.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (01-08-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
John I have in a box at home. I'll take a look and post some pics later if you still need them. This will ensure I actually pick them up and get them out of the dining room so thank you.
Awesome. Thanks, Rex. I think it would be useful and informative to see close up pics of the OEM cats.

...and try to get the engine bay covers off tonight.
What?
Old 01-08-2014, 04:38 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Does anyone here actually have their OEM cats handy? Wondering if/where there is a CARB "stamp" on them.

Sometimes I feel like I'm wandering into nonsense, completely misinterpreting things.
Me to, me to. I'll check out mine late tonight when I get home. It may be hard to see any stamp though.... They are covered almost entirely by the (welded on) OEM heat shields. I'll check for you. Maybe we can all compare numbers if there are any.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:17 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Don't you guys know the NSA is watching your every move, I'm sure they'll be relaying all this info to Johns' smog shop ASAP
Old 01-08-2014, 07:23 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Originally Posted by blnewt
Don't you guys know the NSA is watching your every move, I'm sure they'll be relaying all this info to Johns' smog shop ASAP
They'll never take me alive!
Old 01-08-2014, 07:34 PM
Robert_K
Registered Member

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
As soon as the Global Warming nut jobs that got stuck by the ice in Antarctica admit my exhaust isn't increasing the earth heat and it's the star that has been warming the world for billions of years (the sun)… I'll care about smog.

Maybe if the DOT cared more about the asshats driving around with two lug nuts on one wheel and not about our highly maintained, cat-less, cars.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:53 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Originally Posted by Robert_K
As soon as the Global Warming nut jobs that got stuck by the ice in Antarctica admit my exhaust isn't increasing the earth heat and it's the star that has been warming the world for billions of years (the sun)… I'll care about smog.

Maybe if the DOT cared more about the asshats driving around with two lug nuts on one wheel and not about our highly maintained, cat-less, cars.
I second that! I actually witnessed an entire wheel fly off a car once.... I couldn't believe my eyes.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:12 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Does anyone here actually have their OEM cats handy? Wondering if/where there is a CARB "stamp" on them. Sometimes I feel like I'm wandering into nonsense, completely misinterpreting things.
There are no markings on the bottom of the cats, however there is a marking "AQ" on the top of the cat heat shield. It can only be seen when they are removed from the vehicle however.
Attached Thumbnails Sedan Chat Thread-image-1203022613.jpg  
Old 01-08-2014, 09:24 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
In the Colorado Front Range counties we have:
- Visual inspection on the ground (mirror on pole, restrictor check on gas fill. They are only looking for presence of converters, I believe.
- Check for codes on OBDII.
- Emissions at idle and under load on a dyno.

Ours is only required starting 4th model year after new, and every 2 years thereafter.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:53 PM
kOrE

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Quick question. I just realized that the smaller light within the headlight is on when my regular lights are on. I thought they were the high beams. . . but apparently they are not. Is this the normal setup?

Name:  photo1_zps7a861980.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  49.8 KB
Old 01-08-2014, 11:55 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 751 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by kOrE
Quick question. I just realized that the smaller light within the headlight is on when my regular lights are on. I thought they were the high beams. . . but apparently they are not. Is this the normal setup?
My headlights are different, but I believe those are your "city lights" there should be a setting on the turn signal lever that illuminates only the city lights. It's similar to DRL's.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:57 PM
kOrE

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
My headlights are different, but I believe those are your "city lights" there should be a setting on the turn signal lever that illuminates only the city lights. It's similar to DRL's.
Hmmm, I think your right. I have been messing around with the settings lately and I don't recall seeing those lights on. Now the tricky part, how to undo whatever it is that I changed, lol!

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread