G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 04:19 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Nah, believe it or not, seeing your spec sheet calmed me down quite a bit lol.
Now if only I didnt scrape the living crap out of the joint between my cats and exhaust every time I take the ramp up from the underground garage, I'd be just dandy.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:13 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by hexotic
Nah, believe it or not, seeing your spec sheet calmed me down quite a bit lol.
Now if only I didnt scrape the living crap out of the joint between my cats and exhaust every time I take the ramp up from the underground garage, I'd be just dandy.
Can you take that ramp at a sharper angle, that should help.

As far as camber, just get the 4 bolt kit (camber bolt & toe bolt), costs about $50 for two kits and you'll have in-spec rear alignment and your front is already just fine. Here's the kit (and you need two)
SPC Performance Camber/Toe Cam Bolt Kit; Pair, Reqr's 1 per Wheel INFINITI FX35
Product info
http://www.spcalignment.com/componen...AFrom&to=USATo
And the install sheet
http://www.spcalignment.com/instruct...65-INS_WEB.pdf
Old 11-18-2015, 11:41 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Well guys, the time has come for me to start looking for an exhaust upgrade. I'm not looking anything TOO loud. I have considered the Tanabe axle-back and TopSpeed Pro 1. I know the TopSpeed is a hit or miss but I really like the sound, even more than the cat-backs I've seen. What do you guys think? I have an X so I'm very limited unfortunately.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:13 AM
PG-v36_6MT

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
Well guys, the time has come for me to start looking for an exhaust upgrade. I'm not looking anything TOO loud. I have considered the Tanabe axle-back and TopSpeed Pro 1. I know the TopSpeed is a hit or miss but I really like the sound, even more than the cat-backs I've seen. What do you guys think? I have an X so I'm very limited unfortunately.
Tanabe axle-back with FI RHFC's. Done. You can thank me later, although, this is the umpteenth time this combo has been suggested.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:46 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by PG-v36_6MT
Tanabe axle-back with FI RHFC's. Done. You can thank me later, although, this is the umpteenth time this combo has been suggested.
This really is the best approach to minimize cost and noise, while getting a genuine add to power and attractive hardware out back.

There are cheaper alternatives coming off the headers, but the FI resonated cats give you added power with almost no added noise. And they're top-shelf quality. As for the lack of connecting brackets, there's an easy(ish) custom solution for that.

There are more attractive exhaust setups, but the cost for a quality built full-catback is significantly more than the Tanabe axle-back.

While you might not be installing the cats yourself, you certainly can install the Tanabe axle-back yourself.

There's more power with a full 2.5" catback... but then you have the cost consideration again, and it's going to be hella loud, and gains are minimal compared to the cats.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:18 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
There's a cheap AWD invidia system in the classifieds. I'd take that, and throw on some nice tips. That guy selling it had the RHFC's as well.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:22 AM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Rochester, in your travels and research, do you happen to know what the expected power difference is between the FI 2.25 and 2.5 catbacks? Is the reason they only recommend the 2.5 for FI just because it's not a limiting factor power-wise and just adds noise, or are NA guys (with CAI and tune) giving up some power by going 2.25?
Old 11-19-2015, 09:23 AM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MaQG37
There's a cheap AWD invidia system in the classifieds. I'd take that, and throw on some nice tips. That guy selling it had the RHFC's as well.
That guy isn't shipping and is 10 hours away from Camp Lejeune. By the time you factor in gas/tolls, it's no longer a cheap system.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:28 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by the_wolff
Rochester, in your travels and research, do you happen to know what the expected power difference is between the FI 2.25 and 2.5 catbacks? Is the reason they only recommend the 2.5 for FI just because it's not a limiting factor power-wise and just adds noise, or are NA guys (with CAI and tune) giving up some power by going 2.25?
Travels? Dude, I'm a hermit. The wife would love it if I left the house more often, and is one of the reasons we got the dog a few weeks ago. So yeah, I have opinions on the topic, but there's no way no how that I have genuine expertise.

My *opinion* is that the 2.5" pipes add more noise, as a deeper tone, and is one of the reasons the OEM Coupe exhaust sounds better (subjectively) than the OEM Sedan exhaust. But I honestly don't know why FI has that text on their website. I think it's very misleading, and needlessly confuses people researching options.

Is it a power add over the 2.25" pipes? It certainly was in the Maxima world. Even NA, the Maxima would dyno higher numbers with a 3.0" exhaust over the 2.5" over the 2.25". Here's another perspective: both Motordyne and ARK configure their G-Sedan catbacks with 2.5" pipes. And AFAIK, neither has a forced-induction disclaimer.

I think FI's website text would be so much more clear if they said people who are modified for forced induction, or are planning on it, should not get the 2.25" pipes, and would be better served with the 2.5" setup.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-19-2015 at 09:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
the_wolff (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 10:09 AM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Travels? Dude, I'm a hermit. The wife would love it if I left the house more often, and is one of the reasons we got the dog a few weeks ago. So yeah, I have opinions on the topic, but there's no way no how that I have genuine expertise.

My *opinion* is that the 2.5" pipes add more noise, as a deeper tone, and is one of the reasons the OEM Coupe exhaust sounds better (subjectively) than the OEM Sedan exhaust. But I honestly don't know why FI has that text on their website. I think it's very misleading, and needlessly confuses people researching options.

Is it a power add over the 2.25" pipes? It certainly was in the Maxima world. Even NA, the Maxima would dyno higher numbers with a 3.0" exhaust over the 2.5" over the 2.25". Here's another perspective: both Motordyne and ARK configure their G-Sedan catbacks with 2.5" pipes. And AFAIK, neither has a forced-induction disclaimer.

I think FI's website text would be so much more clear if they said people who are modified for forced induction, or are planning on it, should not get the 2.25" pipes, and would be better served with the 2.5" setup.
Great info, thanks for the detailed response! I agree with your thoughts on the verbiage on their website.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:39 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies! I thought RFHC were illegal haha. Will the RFHC pass a smog test? Tanabe + FI RHFC would be over $1,000?

That guy isn't shipping and is 10 hours away from Camp Lejeune. By the time you factor in gas/tolls, it's no longer a cheap system.
I actually talked to that guy already. I'm from NJ and I'm going home next week. Was gonna meet up with him but I watched some sound clips on YouTube and it didn't really impress me.
the_wolff (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 12:46 PM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
Great info, thanks for the detailed response! I agree with your thoughts on the verbiage on their website.
just to add, I think that the 2.5" will provide "better" top end as compared to the 2.25" - on the other hand, the 2.25" may yield a little bit more on the low/mid range.... I'm basing my experience from my prior exhaust systems on my M35 (VQDE motor).
the_wolff (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 03:36 PM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
I actually talked to that guy already. I'm from NJ and I'm going home next week. Was gonna meet up with him but I watched some sound clips on YouTube and it didn't really impress me.
Fair enough, want to pick it up for me and drop it off in PA on your way back down?

I'm glad to hear there's at least one classy ride down at Camp Lejeune. When I was there, it was just a sea of Mustangs.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:47 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Fair enough, want to pick it up for me and drop it off in PA on your way back down?

I'm glad to hear there's at least one classy ride down at Camp Lejeune. When I was there, it was just a sea of Mustangs.
It's still a sea of Mustangs unfortunately. My friend just purchased lsxwilly's procharged mustang though. Thing is sick.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:09 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Soooo my windshield fogged up really bad and I ended up hitting a curb while making a turn. I was going around 10mph, drivers side front wheel went over. I haven't found any visible damage, TPMS didn't go off, checked with my pressure gauge too. Also checked my wheels for any bends and if the car was shaking/veering off into another direction. Anything else I should look out for? I feel like I'm just being paranoid but its my baby :'(

I was already driving when this happened, with my defrost already going.

Last edited by ZahyMatar; 11-19-2015 at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread