G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 11:45 AM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
So I've been shopping other cars lately (ZL1, GT500, s4, and m3 e92). I've only driven the camaro and s4. The camaro is huge and ostentatious but powerful (although it doesn't feel that fast). The S4 is well appointed but dull and kind of like my G in the power department. The funny thing is when I got back in my G I actually was pleasantly surprised that I didn't long for the other cars I drove. This makes leaving my car that much more difficult.

What year S4 are you looking at?

The supercharged 3L has plenty of power left on the table that can easily be unlocked with a simple tune.

I watched a video of a S4 vs RS4.

S4 3.0L V6 Supercharged 333 HP
RS4 4.2L V8 N/A 450 HP

They first raced and the RS4 dominated the S4 from 0 to 167mph. It beat it by what looked like 10-15 car lengths

Before the 2nd race they retuned the ECU on the S4 and raced it again. This time both cars were basically side by side up to 165+mph

The tune dropped the 0-60 time on the S4 from factory 4.8 seconds to 4.1 second.

Both the RS4 and S4 tuned trapped 115mph in the quarter mile.

Heres the video if anyone is interested.

Its amazing what a simple tune can do to FI cars like the S4 or bmw 335i.

I seen a 335i on factory turbos with ecu tune and a couple of other supporting bolt on mods dyno 440hp to the wheels.

Completely stock they are rated 300hp but actually dyno 280hp to the wheels.

German hp ratings is something else lol

Our g37 is rated at 330hp but make only 260-270 to the wheels
Old 11-01-2015, 12:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,646 Likes on 3,476 Posts
Originally Posted by qmantran
What year S4 are you looking at?

The supercharged 3L has plenty of power left on the table that can easily be unlocked with a simple tune.
Although not applicable to ATG37, because he'll be going from one like-minded car to the next... but I couldn't help for LOL a little, reminded of this video

Old 11-01-2015, 12:16 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Wow.

When I was a young man just starting out, I worked for a nutcase millionaire who underpaid me so little it was almost an internship. He owned a house in Vail Colorado, yet would peel stamps off of envelopes if he thought they could be reused.

It was 1988, and he owned a 1987 BMW 325i Vert 5MT. Just like you, he *made* me drive him back & forth to the airport. But I think he liked being driven more than driving the car. And fact is, he treated his rusty old truck (seriously) better than the BMW, too.
Well, my boss is is like a good friend more than a boss. The owner of the company on the other hand is a stingy *******, but I don't answer to him... thank god... He gave me my 10k raise in two instalments instead of doing it as one increase just so he could save $900 on the backpay owed for the delayed raise. The raise was a big thanks for basically tripling their profits through marketing alone... My boss dropped 2.5k on new 20" wheels for my G and got me a $500 watch just to show his appreciation.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:17 PM
doublea88
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
Anyone ever ordered MOOG swar bar end links before? I just received them today and wanted to know if they come pre greased from the factory? I can see that there is some resemblance of some grease but not sure if its ready for installation. Should i just buy a grease gun and see if i can add more grease?
Old 11-02-2015, 08:19 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I just ordered the pack of sample swatches from Redline Goods. If one of them works for me and my Stone Leather interior, then I'm going to get a new shift boot.

I also just ordered a winter-only Shift **** in Black Copolymer. Titanium is no bueno below freezing.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:19 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I just ordered the pack of sample swatches from Redline Goods. If one of them works for me and my Stone Leather interior, then I'm going to get a new shift boot.

I also just ordered a winter-only Shift **** in Black Copolymer. Titanium is no bueno below freezing.

Nice! Keep us posted and let us know how everything goes, John. I'm curious what you end up going with for your new boot.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:04 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by RxRyanM
Did you have to install the resistors as well?
Yeah, you'll need to install resistors to eliminate any hyper-flashing. I had a couple of extra resistors (6 ohm, I think) laying around from another project on my Porsche, so I just used those. I ended up mounting the Diode Dynamics Tail-as-Turn modules to the taillights themselves and then mounted the resistors to one of the taillight mounting bolts. Here are a couple of pics of how I wired and mounted everything.

Name:  IMG_3945_zpskvmrlitt.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  243.1 KB
Name:  IMG_3948_zpsvexcm5ug.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  201.7 KB

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
Nice! First off

I had no idea the tail as turn, makes the stock turn signal still blink with the addition of the obvious the rings as well, I thought it was only the rings themselves which I had done a while ago on my previous taillights with Bugfresh's(Andy Rushing) mod

Second, I like the quad tips!

Third, I like the diffuser, is that an accessevolution diffuser? I like those lights in it too!

I recently got my new sequential taillights with custom sequences for each function as well as a show mode, I'll post videos tomorrow

Very observant... you are correct, the way the Tail-as-Turn modules is intended to be wired is to only flash the external outside rings, but I intentionally left the factory turn signal bulb connected as well. I have the JDM taillights, so those turn signals are amber and I wanted them to continue to flash along with the outer rings. I'm still not convinced I'll leave it that way, but first I need to change the factory incandescent turn signal bulbs to LED bulbs, so that way they will all flash simultaneously and I can see how it looks that way first.

Thanks for the compliments! Quad tips was the plan all along when I originally picked up the Access Evolution Rear diffuser. I got tired up dragging those big Tanabe tips every time I exited my office complex parking lot, so the quad tips was my fix for that. Nah, I never even thought about raising the car up instead. LOL. The LED marker lights are just a bonus with the Access Evolution diffuser. I think along with the molded rear trunk spoiler and widened rear fenders, it all really transforms the look of the rear end of the car. I have so many people looking for badging and asking me what kind of car it is now.

Can't wait to see your new taillights. Show mode?!?! I like the sound of that... Now I'm really curious to see what you've done with them!
The following users liked this post:
Mik3G37S (11-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 02:21 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
The armrest cover was too narrow on the sides and the angle on the back was not stitched right for the back of the armrest. I went round and round with Mike at Redline for two weeks sending him pictures and trying to get him to see what I was talking about while just asking for a refund from the beginning. (I figured I would just have my local leather shop fab something up) He finally just gave me a refund and told me to toss it out rather than ship the part back.

So I took it to my local shop and I think they just made new sides for it and re-stitched it for me, but I did not get a chance to talk to the installer. It is possible that mine was a fluke from Redline and they may come sized differently in the future. Regardless, I would not do this mod without budgeting to have it professionally installed unless you are really good with stretching, cutting, gluing, and stapling leather. Turned out great in the end though.
Oh wow, yeah, that doesn't seem right at all. I know they have changed the arm rest in our cars at least a couple of times over the years. Like mine has a flat rectangular arm rest and some of the newer years have an angled arms rest, so I wonder if you just got a cover for the wrong year, or maybe Mike doesn't know that the arm rest varies by year? Hmmm, that's really too bad that you had to go through all that work to have it customized, but at least Redline gave you a full refund and the finished product turned out really great... just a lot of hassle I'm sure.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:40 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Oh wow, yeah, that doesn't seem right at all. I know they have changed the arm rest in our cars at least a couple of times over the years. Like mine has a flat rectangular arm rest and some of the newer years have an angled arms rest, so I wonder if you just got a cover for the wrong year, or maybe Mike doesn't know that the arm rest varies by year? Hmmm, that's really too bad that you had to go through all that work to have it customized, but at least Redline gave you a full refund and the finished product turned out really great... just a lot of hassle I'm sure.
They have the 3 different types of armrests on their website and it was close, but not a good fit and definitely too narrow on the sides. Hopefully, mine was just a fluke as the shift boot fit a lot better. Then again, I did have to modify the shift boot too and there is a lot more tolerance in that compared to the arm rest cover.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Based on the final picture of 4DRZ's armrest, and his experience with the mod, I wouldn't even bother to try. If I get a Redline boot, and if I follow up with a matching armrest cover, then I'd first network for a local leather shop and start there. I'm thinking it wouldn't be unreasonable to just buy a section of matching leather from Redline, and giving that as stock material to a local leather craftsman.

It's totally on my list, but tentative based on what comes of the shift boot.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:50 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
So I've been shopping other cars lately (ZL1, GT500, s4, and m3 e92). I've only driven the camaro and s4. The camaro is huge and ostentatious but powerful (although it doesn't feel that fast). The S4 is well appointed but dull and kind of like my G in the power department. The funny thing is when I got back in my G I actually was pleasantly surprised that I didn't long for the other cars I drove. This makes leaving my car that much more difficult.
I've been looking to replace my G for several years now and have driven MANY cars. Everything from new Mustang GT's to, AMG C63's, to the Audi S7 (one of my favorites!), to used Aston Martin DB9's. I actually really like the new Mustang and even put myself on a waiting list for the new Mustang GT350 way back in January, but my wife talked me into cancelling my order and selling my spot, as she didn't think it'd be a good idea to buy the first year of the new engine.

I would definitely suggest driving the Mustang GT if you haven't already. Also, if your looking at M3's, then I would make sure to buy one that is certified. I had an E36 M3 years ago and although it was a beautiful driving machine, it was at the dealer more than I was actually driving it. I'm just thankful I took the advice from the forum members at the time and bought a certified one, otherwise it would have been a huge out of pocket expense for me. My Dad also owned an M Roadster and I have had several friends with E46 and E92 M3's all with similar redundant issues and lots of dealer visits... just something you have to deal with if you want one I guess. My other suggestion would be to look at an AMG C63. Although not is the same class handling wise as the M3, they have more power and are overall more fun to drive than both the RS4 and M3 IMO, plus the interior is WAY nicer than both. Plus, they tend to depreciate fairly heavily, so you can typically find decent deals on them used.

Anyway, now my wife's talked me into looking at Audi R8's and I found a couple in my area that are in my price range, but they are all V8's and any with the V10 are still way out of my price range. Just not sure I want to replace my G with a car with less HP. LOL

Originally Posted by hexotic
My boss is from England, so he hates driving in Toronto. Every time we go for lunch, he makes me drive his twin turbo panamera 4s.... My g feels like a buick afterwards..... every time....

That's one hell of a fast car! I haven't driven one, but I did race a young kid (how does a 25 year old afford a car like that anyway?!?) and his female friend in a Panamera Turbo S once a couple of years ago on my way up the 15 to Vegas. We did a pull from ~70 and a had him by almost a full car length or so until we got well within triple digits then he started to go by. I'm getting old, so I let up way before he did, but he slowed down and both he and his girlfriend both gave me a big thumbs up. I also had a nice race with a Bentley Continental GT on that very same trip.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:00 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
They have the 3 different types of armrests on their website and it was close, but not a good fit and definitely too narrow on the sides. Hopefully, mine was just a fluke as the shift boot fit a lot better. Then again, I did have to modify the shift boot too and there is a lot more tolerance in that compared to the arm rest cover.

Yeah, Redline definitely makes all of their standard boots with a little extra material than necessary. I've now gotten 4 boots from them and found it's always best to give them the "4 corners measurements, plus shaft diameter", so you have the boot made to your car's exact dimensions. I've had my last two manual transmission boots made by Redline this way and both have fit perfectly with no modifications required. I also had the center armrest for my Porsche customized to my measurements and that turned out virtually perfect as well, but I imagine Mike makes his standard "stock" fitment pieces a little on the large size just to make sure they fit all cars... better to have extra material than to not have enough.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:11 PM
djdiskino

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Car Cover

Hey guys,

I did a search but didn't find any conclusive threads on a good car cover for Northeast winter climate. I picked up a 2005 Corolla (to be a daily) and I am storing my sedan in my parents driveway.

Long story short I am looking into car covers and I need one that can handle lots of snow and freezing rain. I just don't want moisture to get trapped between the cover and the car itself I feel like thats just asking for rust.

Any thoughts? Car will be stored there 3-4 months - I may pull the battery and store that indoors.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:30 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by djdiskino
Hey guys,

I did a search but didn't find any conclusive threads on a good car cover for Northeast winter climate. I picked up a 2005 Corolla (to be a daily) and I am storing my sedan in my parents driveway.

Long story short I am looking into car covers and I need one that can handle lots of snow and freezing rain. I just don't want moisture to get trapped between the cover and the car itself I feel like thats just asking for rust.

Any thoughts? Car will be stored there 3-4 months - I may pull the battery and store that indoors.

I can't attest to the snow and freezing rain performace, but I've had the below car cover from Covercraft for my Porsche for many years and it seems to offer really good performance in the limited amount of rain we get here in Southern California. Also, the fit is excellent and it has held up really well over the years.

WeatherShield HP Car Covers - The Number One High Performance Car Cover Fabric for Enthusiasts

2012 Infiniti G37 Custom Car Cover WeatherShield HP - CarCoverPro.com
Old 11-02-2015, 04:16 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
2GoRNot2G i looked up the prices for the access evolution rear diffuser and it appears to be $1,000-$1,800.

Is that true???????????????

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread