G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 07:36 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Aw, sorry to bring that up. It seems we share some similar values on what does or doesn't look right. Which is why we're here, I suppose.

I'm going to order the $15 pack of sample leather swatches from Redline, to see what looks right with my Stone Leather interior. If one of them is a *go*, then I'll probably replace my boot too around Xmas. I really, really like what 4DRZ did here with the boot and his armrest.

It's ok. I've been modifying cars for a long time and I've learned to take the bad along with the good. I think you can tell who the older owners are by how they modify their cars and what their tastes are, but the great thing about a forum like this is that there is a place for all type and tastes.

I think you're on the right track with ordering the sample pack first. I have the Stone interior also, hence the reason for going with a black leather and light grey stitching to accent the rest of the interior. I also suggest taking the "4-corners measurements" (as well as a measurement of the exact diameter of your shifter shaft) and sending those is with your order so you will start with a much better fitting boot than the standard unit. This is what I did with the replacement shift boot (and center console cover) in my other car (which has a 5MT) and it turned out great IMO.

Name:  IMG_3264_zpsbhlzx0g9.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  222.8 KB
Old 10-30-2015, 07:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,646 Likes on 3,476 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
I also suggest taking the "4-corners measurements" (as well as a measurement of the exact diameter of your shifter shaft) and sending those is with your order so you will start with a much better fitting boot than the standard unit.
Nah. I have the 6MT, like 4DRZ. It's less of an issue.

But I'll surely post pics and whatnot about the samples here or in my progress thread. I'm also about to buy a second shifter ****, in plastic for winter. I was originally going to go with gray, but the guy at LatheWerks thinks it looks too plastic-y, and I should go with black. I sat on the idea for a few weeks, and have decided to go black. Kind of a gamble, so that should be fun.

Lame little projects for the next few months. Probably mess around with the fogs, too. The next big mod will be rear gears... or so goes the plan.

That was meant to be directed to 4DRZ and only him. I wasn't even considering what RexHavoc had done. I just know too many people that will take in on themselves to try and modify something in a rush that doesn't fit right, myself included, and really end up screwing it up.. just because your excited to get your new part/mod installed. I've since learned to take my time with the installations and make sure I get them right and I was simply complimenting 4DRZ for doing the same. Hope I didn't make anyone feel I was directing that towards them.
Aw man, you're taking all the fun out of it. No one here is so thin skinned as to get butthurt because of opinions. Well... mostly no one.

Chat Thread.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-30-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:46 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
The next big mod will be rear gears... or so goes the plan.
Okay!!! Now we're talkin'. If that plan works out that should be great!!! . I'm a bit away from messing with internals. Just a bolt-on kinda guy right now.

Sean
Old 10-30-2015, 11:39 PM
RxRyanM
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
FYI... Finally got my Tail-as-Turn modules installed last weekend. I ended up leaving the factory turn signal bulbs in-line, since I have the JDM tails and like the amber turn signals, but I do need to change the bulbs to LED's so they will flash insync with the rest of the bulbs.
Did you have to install the resistors as well?
Old 10-31-2015, 01:18 AM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
You guys have a booth at SEMA this year, Nick? I plan to be there at least Thursday and Friday, so I will stop by and say, "Hi".

FYI... Finally got my Tail-as-Turn modules installed last weekend. I ended up leaving the factory turn signal bulbs in-line, since I have the JDM tails and like the amber turn signals, but I do need to change the bulbs to LED's so they will flash insync with the rest of the bulbs.
http://vid71.photobucket.com/albums/...psoefrcq2d.mp4
http://vid71.photobucket.com/albums/...psb1uce9bz.mp4

Nice! First off

I had no idea the tail as turn, makes the stock turn signal still blink with the addition of the obvious the rings as well, I thought it was only the rings themselves which I had done a while ago on my previous taillights with Bugfresh's(Andy Rushing) mod

Second, I like the quad tips!

Third, I like the diffuser, is that an accessevolution diffuser? I like those lights in it too!

I recently got my new sequential taillights with custom sequences for each function as well as a show mode, I'll post videos tomorrow
Old 10-31-2015, 06:21 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Mike I agree those lights in the diffuser are cool. It appears you don't miss a trick either. Both of you guys provide inspiration for moving in a unique direction. Hmmmm....what next?

Sean
Old 10-31-2015, 12:52 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Was it just too large for a tight fit when you originally received it? If we know what needs to be changed ahead of time then we can just order it that way... I've found that I measure everything and send Mike at Redline the custom measurements rather than buying their "standard" product. He usually charges $10 extra for the customization, but the final product fitment turns out to be much better in the end.
The armrest cover was too narrow on the sides and the angle on the back was not stitched right for the back of the armrest. I went round and round with Mike at Redline for two weeks sending him pictures and trying to get him to see what I was talking about while just asking for a refund from the beginning. (I figured I would just have my local leather shop fab something up) He finally just gave me a refund and told me to toss it out rather than ship the part back.

So I took it to my local shop and I think they just made new sides for it and re-stitched it for me, but I did not get a chance to talk to the installer. It is possible that mine was a fluke from Redline and they may come sized differently in the future. Regardless, I would not do this mod without budgeting to have it professionally installed unless you are really good with stretching, cutting, gluing, and stapling leather. Turned out great in the end though.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:04 PM
RxRyanM
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
Nice! First off

I had no idea the tail as turn, makes the stock turn signal still blink with the addition of the obvious the rings as well, I thought it was only the rings themselves which I had done a while ago on my previous taillights with Bugfresh's(Andy Rushing) mod
I think if you hook both the brake light and turn light to the output on the module, that successfully makes them blink together....I think.

And I gotta see some info on your tails, plus I'll study these new vids. I've seen a vid before and MAN, are they nice.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:40 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
So I've been shopping other cars lately (ZL1, GT500, s4, and m3 e92). I've only driven the camaro and s4. The camaro is huge and ostentatious but powerful (although it doesn't feel that fast). The S4 is well appointed but dull and kind of like my G in the power department. The funny thing is when I got back in my G I actually was pleasantly surprised that I didn't long for the other cars I drove. This makes leaving my car that much more difficult.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (12-10-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 07:50 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
The funny thing is when I got back in my G I actually was pleasantly surprised that I didn't long for the other cars I drove. This makes leaving my car that much more difficult.
The last car that I seriously test-drove was a 2015 Mustang GT 6MT, and I felt exactly the same way getting back into my car. Not nearly as fast, but much, much more appealing than that tacky Ford.

The last, last car that I seriously test-drove was a 2014 Jaguar F-Type S Coupe, and after getting back into my G, I felt my car was cheap, slow and wobbly like a 10 year old Camry.

Everything is relative, I suppose.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:13 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
The last car that I seriously test-drove was a 2015 Mustang GT 6MT, and I felt exactly the same way getting back into my car. Not nearly as fast, but much, much more appealing than that tacky Ford.

The last, last car that I seriously test-drove was a 2014 Jaguar F-Type S Coupe, and after getting back into my G, I felt my car was cheap, slow and wobbly like a 10 year old Camry.

Everything is relative, I suppose.
My boss is from England, so he hates driving in Toronto. Every time we go for lunch, he makes me drive his twin turbo panamera 4s.... My g feels like a buick afterwards..... every time....
Old 11-01-2015, 08:44 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by hexotic
My boss is from England, so he hates driving in Toronto. Every time we go for lunch, he makes me drive his twin turbo panamera 4s.... My g feels like a buick afterwards..... every time....
Wow.

When I was a young man just starting out, I worked for a nutcase millionaire who underpaid me so little it was almost an internship. He owned a house in Vail Colorado, yet would peel stamps off of envelopes if he thought they could be reused.

It was 1988, and he owned a 1987 BMW 325i Vert 5MT. Just like you, he *made* me drive him back & forth to the airport. But I think he liked being driven more than driving the car. And fact is, he treated his rusty old truck (seriously) better than the BMW, too.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:59 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Hoping someone on here can chime in. Somebody dented my car last month, how bad would you say it looks? Should PDR be enough?

Sorry for the oversized images.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:32 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Those PDR places can work some magic, it looks like everything except that chip inside your fender could be PDRd, if that faint line in the crease is through the clear coat then no, it'll need more work. G/L
Old 11-01-2015, 09:37 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Those PDR places can work some magic, it looks like everything except that chip inside your fender could be PDRd, if that faint line in the crease is through the clear coat then no, it'll need more work. G/L
I ran my finger over it and it still felt pretty smooth. I'll ask around for some PDR quotes. Appreciate the response.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread