G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 08:33 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
hexotic lives in just north of Toronto... which is very similar to my climate, since I'm on the other side of Lake Ontario. Granted, I get more lake-effect snow, but overall it's the same. My point being, Winter here can be a big pause in modding your car.

My advice is to use winter as a time for planning and collecting parts for Spring.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:26 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Originally Posted by PG-v36_6MT
Yeah, these tires only have 5k+ miles on them. Fortunately, I bought these from Tire Rack with their Road Hazard warranty, so I'm getting a free replacement (reimbursed for cost of replacement).
I'm unfamiliar with this tire. Tire rack indicates it's max summer performance tire. At 5K miles, it does have some wear to it. The question is, if replaced as a single tire, will there be drivability issues due to the difference in diameter of tires on that axle?

When my camaro got a nail in the sidewall, I replaced both tires on the axle as the wear was about 50%. A single new tire would cause pulling issues.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:15 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by PG-v36_6MT
Good news! I found my missing hex key. Bad news, it's embedded into my f*cking sidewall.

And to add insult to injury, it was scraping against my fender on dips and bumps, so there are now parts of my fender that are all chipped.

Ugh, that's just bad luck right there. Couldn't have punctured a few inches over into the tread?!? then you'd be able to plug it easily and it also more than likely would have only scratched your plastic liner. At least you had the road hazard warranty to help cover it. I sold tires and then Managed a tire store all through high school and college and I can't tell you how many times the road hazard warranty has paid for itself. It's definitely a wise investment on tires that cost as much as ours.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:23 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
The A/T boot is generic (see the foreskin pics in my build thread) and meant to over the entire assembly. I'm going to ship my OEM boot to them to use as a pattern tomorrow.
So finally installed the Redline custom shift boot along with a 2016 GT-R shift **** this past weekend. There was some trimming required to get the lower part of the boot to fit just right and I still need to trim a little more so the center console will snap down tightly, but overall I am pretty happy with the fitment.

Name:  GT-R%20Shift%20Knob%202_zpshhehagja.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  241.6 KB
Old 10-26-2015, 03:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

So rather than tucking it into that little boot slot like Chris did, you used the boot over (or in replacement of) the entire AT center trim piece?
Old 10-26-2015, 05:06 PM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
If you have big plans that are only 6 months away (give or take) and that may include coilovers, might just get through winter then go crazy
You could sell the Swift springs as new and use the cash for something else. But hey, it's your G and sounds like you're wanting to do something to your car now
^ agreed.... I'm holding off until after the winter to install my other mods.... got a bunch of stuff just waiting in my basement....However, I did install my Optima Yellow top on Saturday....
Old 10-26-2015, 06:03 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
So rather than tucking it into that little boot slot like Chris did, you used the boot over (or in replacement of) the entire AT center trim piece?

Exactly! It just goes over the entire fugly factory AT console. I talked to Mike (owner of Redline) first and he explained that this is how he makes the boot to work. I just had him customize it for me (about 1" shorter with 1/2 perforated leather and custom stitching). It still took some tweaking and trimming of the boot to fit under the console and I also added a couple of holes and slots so the boot is held in place from below be the same attachment points as the factory boot plus the two mounting screws that holds the AT console to the outer aluminum trim piece.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:04 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
So finally installed the Redline custom shift boot along with a 2016 GT-R shift **** this past weekend.
Nice combo. Looks like it's happy there

So this what people do when they've completed all the big mods for a while?

Sean
Old 10-26-2015, 06:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Exactly! It just goes over the entire fugly factory AT console. I talked to Mike (owner of Redline) first and he explained that this is how he makes the boot to work.
Chris is going to feel really silly when he reads this.

I think that looks good. Not sure about the ****. The **** itself looks awesome, but the fitment at the boot looks odd. All in all, though, I'd call it a win.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:53 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Here's a couple more pics. These were taken right before I installed the final trim piece on the bottom of the shift ****, but you get the idea. LOL

Name:  IMG_4026_zpsn9pshvz6.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  184.5 KB
Name:  IMG_4025_zpskl1xzj5k.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  176.5 KB
Old 10-26-2015, 07:02 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by VIVID
Nice combo. Looks like it's happy there

So this what people do when they've completed all the big mods for a while?

Sean

Thanks, Sean. It's all so happy there that when I got into the car this morning I actually subconsciously pushed my left foot into the floorboard looking for the clutch pedal before I remembered that it's actually an auto. LOL... Or that may have to do with the fact that I've been driving my other car a lot lately, which is a 5MT, but either way it was pretty funny.

Yup, more time to concentrate on the details once all the big stuff is out of the way. Only a couple more big mods left... mainly a new tranny from Level 10 and possibly a set of Sabelt seats... I really want a pair of these:

Name:  sabelt_-_sps_racing_seat_01_zpsagxz3b98.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  82.5 KB
Old 10-26-2015, 07:12 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Chris is going to feel really silly when he reads this.

I think that looks good. Not sure about the ****. The **** itself looks awesome, but the fitment at the boot looks odd. All in all, though, I'd call it a win.

I agree, John. It still needs a little final fitment tweaking. I have just used a zip tie from the inside to hold the boot to the shifter shaft at the top "connection", and that zip tie is still loosed, as I wasn't sure if I wanted to pull it a little tighter or not before tightening everything down. The bottom trim piece on the GTR **** is also designed to attach to the boot, so I may look at trying to attached those (more like the OEM set-up) in the future, but for now I'm happy with it.

Hahaha... I hope he doesn't feel stupid... I think Chris wanted to keep is AT console exposed (maybe for the shift indicator - I just use feel and/or the indicator on the dash), but there's just WAY too much material to make that happen, plus the boot is sewn for a rectangular cut-out. I think he is going to have Redline try to make him a boot for the stock location, but I specifically wanted to cover up the cheap looking plastic/chrome OEM AT console, so my goal was achieved.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:18 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Just like the new Maxima 4DSC **** customized for the 7AT G37, the GTR **** as a component unto itself looks gorgeous. Just something not quite right when retrofitted to the G. I think it would look better (to me), if the leather boot were flush with the bottom of the ****.

And since opinions are like cottonwood seeds, I'll share this one too: I'm not digging the wide stitching pattern on the boot. It seems overly fat and unnecessary. But obviously you selected that pattern on purpose. Are you happy with it?
Old 10-26-2015, 08:13 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Just like the new Maxima 4DSC **** customized for the 7AT G37, the GTR **** as a component unto itself looks gorgeous. Just something not quite right when retrofitted to the G. I think it would look better (to me), if the leather boot were flush with the bottom of the ****.

And since opinions are like cottonwood seeds, I'll share this one too: I'm not digging the wide stitching pattern on the boot. It seems overly fat and unnecessary. But obviously you selected that pattern on purpose. Are you happy with it?
I love the way the q50 **** looks and feels.

but of course like a lot of q50 parts on the market right now, its waaaay overpriced

Speaking of shifters, anyone ever thy something like this?
button shifter
I was really tempted to order this thing for a while before changing my mind.

Last edited by hexotic; 10-26-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:22 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
incase anyone was looking for some sweet new wheels mine are up for sale! great for those AWD guys

sorry for the shameless plug!

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread