G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 09:11 PM
drewfinity

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
Hey everybody! I purchased a 2012 Vibrant Red G37X sedan as my first car a little over a month ago. I have no idea where to start with modifications. I was thinking a tanabe axleback exhaust?

I'd love to drop it on swift springs and put some 19's on it but I'm not ready to shell out that kind of money yet.

Any tips?
Start Reading. Take notes. There's 100 different answers to your questions.

PS: Nice Ride.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:27 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Hey everybody! I purchased a 2012 Vibrant Red G37X sedan as my first car a little over a month ago. I have no idea where to start with modifications. I was thinking a tanabe axleback exhaust?

I'd love to drop it on swift springs and put some 19's on it but I'm not ready to shell out that kind of money yet.

Any tips?
Welcome to the site, congrats on that nice red Sedan
Check the top sticky posts in the newbie folder for a good list of tips & mods for every budget.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:11 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
Hey everybody!

I also bought my G from Ray Catina. Seemed like a pretty classy dealership.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:12 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts

Any tips?
Welcome.

I must say, you have exceptional taste in automobiles.

Sean
Old 10-15-2015, 01:55 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
It was an "SER", if memory serves me right it was the heaviest trim level (saw 3,300 lbs for the Alti and 3,800 lbs for the G sedan, might be grabbing the wrong numbers).

But makes sense that the G has a lot of extras over the Alti, and it does offer a very different driving experience, so the weight is a welcome compromise IMO
The SE-R Altima was available as a V6 only in 2006. That was a fun car with a 6spd. It weighs just shy of 3,400 according to Edmunds. The G37S sedan 6spd. is just over 3,600 according to the same site. The new Altima V6 is a bit over 3,400 depending on the trim. I agree, I would much rather drive my '13 G37S than any Altima
Old 10-15-2015, 02:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

When the 3rd Gen Altima came out in 2002, I remember test-driving the 3.5 SE. The torque steer was so fierce... made the car almost undriveable. For whatever reason, it wasn't that way in the Maxima.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:05 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I installed the shift boot and a Torque Solutions delrin shift **** last night. The boot is very nice, but does require a few modifications to make it fit properly. (I will put up a full review with installation instructions and pics in the review section when I have more time)

The shift **** is so much lighter and lower it feels like I have a short shift kit now. I had the same shift **** on my '14 Evo and really liked it as it is a great shape, but delrin also does not get cold or hot nearly as easily as most materials.

Unfortunately, I did not have the same luck with the arm rest cover. It is not shaped quite right for the rear and the material is not long enough for the sides to fold over and attach. Working on a solution for this with Mike from Redline.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:10 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
When the 3rd Gen Altima came out in 2002, I remember test-driving the 3.5 SE. The torque steer was so fierce... made the car almost undriveable. For whatever reason, it wasn't that way in the Maxima.
If I remember right, the tires on the Altima were crap and that definitely did not help the torque steer. The Maxima might have been a little better, but was still pretty bad with torque steer until they went to the CVT trans in '07.

I really like the new '16 Maxima and was most surprised with the handling. It does not understeer nearly as bad as every other Maxima I have ever driven. (My wife drives a 2012) I considered buying one for a bit until I remembered how much I hate FWD and A/T.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:26 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
4DRZ, now that you've had the G for a while, how do you compare it to your old evo? PM me if you want.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:29 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I installed the shift boot and a Torque Solutions delrin shift **** last night.
From the picture, it looks like you did a fine job. Could be OEM, as far as anyone could tell. I definitely think the perforated leather matches our interior better.

The shift **** looks a little awkward in this pic, but I certainly relate to the size and shape. My teardrop is essentially the same thing, but with a tail pushing it higher over the shaft.

Looking forward to your thread. Link to it here when it happens.

Out of curiosity, is there any possibility of salvaging the original boot vinyl for the parking brake lever?
Old 10-15-2015, 02:52 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
4DRZ, now that you've had the G for a while, how do you compare it to your old evo? PM me if you want.
I started looking at the G37S sedan 6spd. as a "practical sports car with 4 doors." The harsh ride from the springs I had and the contortions required to get in and out of the awesome Recaros were killing my back. I like the ride (even w/ Tein Basis coilovers) and getting in and out much better with the G37S. When I do track days I can just inflate the upper and lower side bolsters to get a similar vise grip hold like I had with the Recaros.

My Evo had an AMS tune so it was rather quick and the steering had instant response. Initially the G37S felt slow by comparison, but now feels much more similar with the Stillen exhaust and almost makes up for it with the much better sound than the Evo. I thought I was really going to miss the AWD, but I forgot how much I like RWD. (We will see if I still think this when we start getting lots of snow)

The other huge advantage with the G37S is the build quality, features, and practicality. The Evo was so basic and plastic feeling inside. I had suede inserts made for the door panels, shift boot, e-brake, and arm rest. I also had carbon fiber wrap on the dash and doors and black chromed all the trim. It still looked cheap. It is very nice to have nav, a decent stereo, heated seats, a roof, Xenon lights, memory seat, a large trunk, and being able to go twice as far on a tank of gas.

The Evo was a great car, but I don't miss it.

From the picture, it looks like you did a fine job. Could be OEM, as far as anyone could tell. I definitely think the perforated leather matches our interior better.

The shift **** looks a little awkward in this pic, but I certainly relate to the size and shape. My teardrop is essentially the same thing, but with a tail pushing it higher over the shaft.

Looking forward to your thread. Link to it here when it happens.

Out of curiosity, is there any possibility of salvaging the original boot vinyl for the parking brake lever?
You are right, the leather is much thicker and looks very factory-like. A very nice improvement over the stock paper thin shift boot.

I know the shift **** will definitely be a personal preference, but this was definitely the best option for me and future track days. I looked into a lot of Momo and Sparco ***** too, but they all have metal on the top or look like crap and I am sick of burning my hand all summer. I was also sick of the factory shifter since it was rather, eh hem, "phallus-like."

That's a good idea about the parking brake since the vinyl/pleather from the factory is extremely thin. Mine is toast as I accidently poked a hole in it with the godzilla sized pliers I used to take off the shift ****. Whoops! I will take a closer look at it when I get a chance. The other idea would be to take out the plastic surround for the e-brake and have something custom made out of leather that would look a lot better.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:01 PM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
At the risk of being sophomoric, first I saw this...
...**** looks a little awkward in this pic, but I certainly relate to the size and shape....
and then I read this...
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
...eh hem, "phallus-like."......
which led to

(this forum needs the smilie that spits out water due to a sudden fit of laughter)

Thank you for the entertainment, gentlemen.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by nelledge
this forum needs the smilie that spits out water due to a sudden fit of laughter
Old 10-15-2015, 04:09 PM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Yes!!! Didn't think about importing it. Thank you!
Old 10-15-2015, 04:15 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nelledge
At the risk of being sophomoric, first I saw this...and then I read this...
which led to

(this forum needs the smilie that spits out water due to a sudden fit of laughter)

Thank you for the entertainment, gentlemen.
Nice! Glad you picked up on that. Humor and sarcasm can be difficult to convey in print

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread