G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 12:15 AM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
Anyone know which parts/materials in particular make the G sedan relatively heavy?

My last car was an Altima which was bigger and weighed like 500lbs less, what gives? IS it just an aggregate of junk? "Luxury" stuff? Just curious, these questions are probably very ignor-able
Additional chassis stiffening, sound deadening material and body isolating materials... this on top of all the extra technology and "luxury" stuff as you put it. Basically, everything that makes a luxury car, a luxury car is also what makes it heavier. That's why it's hard to find a Mercedes that weighs less than 2 tons.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:38 AM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I e-mailed Mike at Redline about the same issue you had with the boot and also the fact that their link to instructions for the arm rest cover just takes you to the directions for the shift boot. He said they would give me another discount on the parts if I wrote up new reviews with pics. (I will see how motivated I am as they are already pretty inexpensive) The eta for the parts is today so maybe I can install everything tomorrow on my day off if I have time.
Just for reference... for anyone thinking of ordering anything from Redline, I have ordered several interior pieces for my 1991 Porsche S2 from Mike at Redline with very good luck. I have ordered all pieces in black Nappa leather with light grey stitching and all pieces have been great quality and fitment.. at least for that particular application. I actually just ordered a custom shift boot for my G, so we'll see how that one turns out in a week or so. Here's a few pics of the shift boot and center console cover I got from Redline for my Porsche last Summer.

Name:  IMG_3269_zpsxgiduofl.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  201.5 KB
Name:  IMG_3265_zpsvr3xlxzq.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  204.6 KB
Name:  IMG_3264_zpsbhlzx0g9.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  222.8 KB
Old 10-14-2015, 07:52 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
That looks really great. . I might have to check out my boot options for the G. Something to showcase the B2 Auto Designs 7AT 'shift' ****.

Sean
Old 10-14-2015, 07:53 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
D@mn! I must have been out of this for too long, because I don't even know what that is a picture of... Maybe an air filter?
Maybe it is.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:50 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by VIVID
That looks really great. . I might have to check out my boot options for the G. Something to showcase the B2 Auto Designs 7AT 'shift' ****.

Sean
Thanks, Sean. Mike does really nice work, but I always recommend e-mailing him first with want you want before ordering so you can make sure to get exactly what you want, as his web-site can be a bit confusing. For the pieces in the pic above I had him make the shift boot about 1-1/2" shorter than stock since I have an adjustable height lever (he actually had me take all the measurements from right rear to bottom of **** while the car was in first gear, and left rear to bottom of **** while car was in fifth gear, etc... for all four corners... so he could figure our exactly how big to make the boot). He also custom made the top portion of the boot to work with my aftermarket Rob ****. Same goes for the center console cover... I had that made about 1/8" larger, as I added some extra EPDM padding under it when I redid the center console for extra comfort.

FYI... I just got shipping confirmation on the shift boot for my 5AT in my G today, so I should be able to let you guys know how that turns out in a couple of weeks. I'm currently running an M56 shift **** in it, but thinking if switching it up again. Any thoughts? New Maxima **** maybe? I did check out the B2 designs **** you have and really like the look of it, but not sure about going with a fun metal ****. Wish he offered something that was partially wrapped in leather so it would feel nicer when I rest my hand on it (I'm a manual driver at heart).

Originally Posted by Rochester
Maybe it is.
Haha. Nice! At first I thought it might be an amplifier, but then I noticed the R2C logo... They are really ricing up the air filters these days!
The following users liked this post:
VIVID (10-14-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 01:42 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Anyone know which parts/materials in particular make the G sedan relatively heavy?

My last car was an Altima which was bigger and weighed like 500lbs less, what gives? IS it just an aggregate of junk? "Luxury" stuff? Just curious, these questions are probably very ignor-able
Was your Altima a V6? The difference in weight is about 200lbs. The chassis on the G37 has a lot more reinforcement (just look under the hood of both cars), there is a lot more sound deadening, a big rear diff, drive shaft, much larger brakes, full power seat on the passenger side, many more parts to the front suspension, etc. It adds up quick
Old 10-14-2015, 02:39 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by VIVID

Sean
I just got my boot today but haven't tried to install it yet. Can't remember if it was supposed to have holes punched or not for anchoring. I'll find out when I get home I guess.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:50 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Just got the boot and arm rest cover. Will try to install soon. Took a while to get. Online they are listed as being located in Delaware, but the parts shipped from Poland???
Old 10-14-2015, 02:52 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Just got the boot and arm rest cover. Will try to install soon. Took a while to get. Online they are listed as being located in Delaware, but the parts shipped from Poland???
Want to start a new "6MT Shift Boot Thread"? We could all pile on with pictures and whatnot.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:53 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
I just got my boot today but haven't tried to install it yet. Can't remember if it was supposed to have holes punched or not for anchoring. I'll find out when I get home I guess.
Can't wait to see it. If it works out I'd like to piggy-back off your measurements for mine if you don't mind.

Sean
Old 10-14-2015, 06:12 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 255 Posts
Was your Altima a V6? The difference in weight is about 200lbs. The chassis on the G37 has a lot more reinforcement (just look under the hood of both cars), there is a lot more sound deadening, a big rear diff, drive shaft, much larger brakes, full power seat on the passenger side, many more parts to the front suspension, etc. It adds up quick
It was an "SER", if memory serves me right it was the heaviest trim level (saw 3,300 lbs for the Alti and 3,800 lbs for the G sedan, might be grabbing the wrong numbers).

But makes sense that the G has a lot of extras over the Alti, and it does offer a very different driving experience, so the weight is a welcome compromise IMO
Old 10-14-2015, 06:12 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 255 Posts
Want to start a new "6MT Shift Boot Thread"? We could all pile on with pictures and whatnot.
Revive 6MT owners thread?

(just remembered we had one)
Old 10-14-2015, 07:44 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Revive 6MT owners thread?

(just remembered we had one)
Nah, I was thinking of something more specific.

If the new guy doesn't do it, then I will when the mod comes around. I'm thinking December.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:11 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Nah, I was thinking of something more specific.

If the new guy doesn't do it, then I will when the mod comes around. I'm thinking December.
Depending on what's in the redline mystery shipment, I might do it myself
Old 10-14-2015, 08:52 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 234 Posts
Hey everybody! I purchased a 2012 Vibrant Red G37X sedan as my first car a little over a month ago. I have no idea where to start with modifications. I was thinking a tanabe axleback exhaust?

I'd love to drop it on swift springs and put some 19's on it but I'm not ready to shell out that kind of money yet.

Any tips?
Attached Thumbnails Sedan Chat Thread-img_20150909_162835.jpg  

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread