G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 07:58 AM
drewfinity

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
That's a cool shifter! The guys at Japan Auction Parts can get some decent stuff, but they seem to be jerks too. I saw one facebook post last night where one of their guys was selling a set of nissan/skyline badges (Grille emblem, 350GT, SKYLINE, and trunk emblem) for a pretty high price, some other guy linked to a dealer site where it was way cheaper. The guy listing them then tagged one of the founders, and they deleted the post with the link to cheaper prices and called the guy who posted the lower prices a d!ck.

Real professional.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:36 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I installed a redline leather shift boot over the weekend. Perforated Nappa leather with silver stitching, cut 3/4" shorter than stock.

As is typical in my experiences, quality was top notch. However, I suspect they are using the G35 design and didn't update it for the G37. The shifter surround has 4 clips, a screw, and probably a dozen little tabs. The tabs locate and hold the boot in place, the clips and screw secures it. My boot only had the locating tabs, so I had to cut the clips and screw holes. I didn't do the best job on the screw hole, but you can't notice it.

On the plus side, the leather is a little thicker, so it brings the shifter up a little higher, which is good.

I've ordered a couple vinyl samples to maybe wrap the shifter surround and cover up the shift pattern. If I ultimately decide to go that route, I'll probably order another shift boot since I'll have to pull everything apart to wrap it.
Lego you inspired me. I ordered their shift boot, arm rest cover, and a different shift **** yesterday.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:42 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by drewfinity
That's a cool shifter! The guys at Japan Auction Parts can get some decent stuff, but they seem to be jerks too. I saw one facebook post last night where one of their guys was selling a set of nissan/skyline badges (Grille emblem, 350GT, SKYLINE, and trunk emblem) for a pretty high price, some other guy linked to a dealer site where it was way cheaper. The guy listing them then tagged one of the founders, and they deleted the post with the link to cheaper prices and called the guy who posted the lower prices a d!ck.

Real professional.
Oh geez, I didn't see that. They've been really good with me, I know there are a few people who are all fighting for market share, not certain who posted it on there so I can't say.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Lego you inspired me. I ordered their shift boot, arm rest cover, and a different shift **** yesterday.
How about a boot for the P-brake handle?

It's always bugged me that Infiniti went cheap there on the P-Brake for the 6MT. Yet every time I look at it I come away thinking there's no easy way to mod a leather boot around it. My old Maxima 6MT was the same way, and I put a Redline Goods boot on it. The fitment wasn't perfect, but it was so-o-o much better than going commando.

Either way, looking forward to seeing pics in your progress thread.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:17 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Glad I could help lighten your wallet. What style boot did you go with? Even though the fitment isn't 100%, its still a huge visual improvement over stock

I'm curious to see how the armrest cover works out. Someone else posted it and it didn't look great.

I dropped my OE boot in the mail yesterday. I suspect I'm going to get a discounted/free replacement.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:20 AM
drewfinity

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
Oh geez, I didn't see that. They've been really good with me, I know there are a few people who are all fighting for market share, not certain who posted it on there so I can't say.
I think it was just a regular guy. He posted a link to infiniti dealer's nismo/jdm parts page.

Glad your experience has been ok! Who made the adapter? Do you have to push down/up to move it or does the shifter move without any lock?
Old 09-30-2015, 11:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I dropped my OE boot in the mail yesterday. I suspect I'm going to get a discounted/free replacement.
Did they ask you for the boot, so that they could match the holes?

After messing around yesterday with the assembly, and seeing your new boot, I've put this mod on the list for December. Although I'm still going to get their sample swatches beforehand.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:42 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
How about a boot for the P-brake handle?

It's always bugged me that Infiniti went cheap there on the P-Brake for the 6MT. Yet every time I look at it I come away thinking there's no easy way to mod a leather boot around it. My old Maxima 6MT was the same way, and I put a Redline Goods boot on it. The fitment wasn't perfect, but it was so-o-o much better than going commando.

Either way, looking forward to seeing pics in your progress thread.
I looked at that, but I don't think it would work very well because the plastic trim is so close to the parking brake. I think it would get stuck and not go down all the way. Hard to know for sure as the pics that Redline has on their site for this part show a 350Z or G35 coupe.

Glad I could help lighten your wallet. What style boot did you go with? Even though the fitment isn't 100%, its still a huge visual improvement over stock

I'm curious to see how the armrest cover works out. Someone else posted it and it didn't look great.

I went back and forth on this a dozen times trying to pick the right one. Originally I was going to have my local custom interior place make suede inserts in the seats and match the shift boot and arm rest if the leather got too hot in the summer, but it was not bad so I may leave it.

I like the perforated shift boot like the seats, but then I thought the silver stitching would be too much. I changed my mind and got a more bland shift **** and went with the silver stitching on everything. I thought you got the 4 way stitching that looks like an X so I purposely went with the stock stitching to be different. Then I went back and looked at your picture today and I think we have the exact same part.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:50 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts

I'd be interested to see the armrest over installed. I almost ordered that the other day but only went with a new shift boot, perforated leather, an inch taller and two-tone quad stitching.

Originally Posted by drewfinity
I think it was just a regular guy. He posted a link to infiniti dealer's nismo/jdm parts page.

Glad your experience has been ok! Who made the adapter? Do you have to push down/up to move it or does the shifter move without any lock?
Robbie Trengrove made the adapter, he's one of the JAP guys in Japan. The mad scientist from the UK. He has some kits they're selling now which should work with most threaded ***** as I understand it. I'll probably buy one of them as well in case I want to use the custom **** I'm having made or an ARC Titan ****. You do have to push down to get past the lockout. That's what took me the longest during the maybe 20 minute install yesterday, just getting it positioned correctly to actuate the lockout which i've actually always had issues with on this car.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:56 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Did they ask you for the boot, so that they could match the holes?
Yes. I emailed them kinda complaining that the boot was missing cutouts for the 4 tabs, screw hole and other "thingy" in the back. They sent me detailed shipping instructions and told me to specify how I wanted my boot designed

Shift boot store - RedlineGoods leather shift boots

Hard to know for sure as the pics that Redline has on their site for this part show a 350Z or G35 coupe.
I think that is the issue, the template they are using is for the 350Z/G35. Someone posted having the same issue with the TWM boot.

I like the perforated shift boot like the seats, but then I thought the silver stitching would be too much. I changed my mind and got a more bland shift **** and went with the silver stitching on everything. I thought you got the 4 way stitching that looks like an X so I purposely went with the stock stitching to be different. Then I went back and looked at your picture today and I think we have the exact same part.
Did you get perforated leather, or the upgraded Nappa perforated leather?

I got the Nappa perforated leather, stock stitching in silver, 3/4" shorter.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:23 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Did you get perforated leather, or the upgraded Nappa perforated leather?

I got the Nappa perforated leather, stock stitching in silver, 3/4" shorter.
Ah hah! So our shift boots will be ever so slightly different after all. I went with regular perforated leather and the standard height as the new shift **** is flat on the bottom and will not clip to the boot.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:13 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Ah hah! So our shift boots will be ever so slightly different after all. I went with regular perforated leather and the standard height as the new shift **** is flat on the bottom and will not clip to the boot.
I went shorter due to the short throw shifter. I think Z Toyz sells a bottom adapter to clip to the boot.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:32 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I went shorter due to the short throw shifter. I think Z Toyz sells a bottom adapter to clip to the boot.
Z Toyz? When I search I keep coming up with a Miami band.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:47 PM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Try Zee Toyz.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

It's a guy up in Hamilton, Ontario who's been selling Z-branded stuff for a number of years. He has some really nice engine bling pieces, and will sell them to you without the Z brand, if you ask. I have a few. Particularly fond of the dipstick cover in SS.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread