G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 09:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Thank you for the detailed response.

One of the things I'm toying with is the idea of going over the stitching with white thread that I bought years ago just for this intent. I completely forgot about this idea, and it came back to me while thinking of shift boots because of your mod.

However, to do this correctly, I would need to mimic the sewing machine stitch, which is a two-threaded approach, with a front-threaded needle on the top and a bobbin on the bottom. Otherwise, a basic "straight" stitch will look goofy, even if doubled-up for each alternating loop. And to do this by hand... hoo boy, that takes some stitching skills. So IDK if I'm going to take that on.

At this point, it feels like dis-assembly for research and familiarization with the components, with a few possibilities:
  • Modding the stitching on the OEM boot.
  • Replacing the boot with leather.
  • Shrugging my shoulders and walking away.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:44 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I can't even sew a button back on

I dont think the stock boot is worth the effort. I'd wait and see if redline can mirror my OE boot.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:07 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Thank you for the detailed response.

One of the things I'm toying with is the idea of going over the stitching with white thread that I bought years ago just for this intent. I completely forgot about this idea, and it came back to me while thinking of shift boots because of your mod.

However, to do this correctly, I would need to mimic the sewing machine stitch, which is a two-threaded approach, with a front-threaded needle on the top and a bobbin on the bottom. Otherwise, a basic "straight" stitch will look goofy, even if doubled-up for each alternating loop. And to do this by hand... hoo boy, that takes some stitching skills. So IDK if I'm going to take that on.

At this point, it feels like dis-assembly for research and familiarization with the components, with a few possibilities:
  • Modding the stitching on the OEM boot.
  • Replacing the boot with leather.
  • Shrugging my shoulders and walking away.
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I can't even sew a button back on

I dont think the stock boot is worth the effort. I'd wait and see if redline can mirror my OE boot.
I hand stitched my OEM boot last year... Maybe the year before. While stoned on muscle relaxers and pain meds. Which meant that I had more patience than usual but much less dexterity. It actually came out okay just following the lines of the OEM stitching with the blue thread I picked up.

In hindsight I would have used a waxed thread but also have a second boot I can redo and take my time on. But I'm not certain I would do it again... I did just order a redline boot with the intention of installing that to go along with my AT/MT conversion kit.

But I just got the kit today and now I want to go home and install it immediately so I don't know if I'll be able to wait...
Old 09-29-2015, 12:36 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Not sure where you're going with that, Chris.

I'm trying the single-stitch approach, which means stitching each line twice. It's... painstaking.

After finishing a line, I'll have to reassess and see if I want to continue or undo it.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:03 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Not sure where you're going with that, Chris.

I'm trying the single-stitch approach, which means stitching each line twice. It's... painstaking.

After finishing a line, I'll have to reassess and see if I want to continue or undo it.
I have this thing, called a wife, I outsource these kinda things to
Old 09-29-2015, 01:06 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Hey John, just that it is definitely painstaking and time consuming. The best advice I can offer is select your thread carefully so you don't have to redo it. I used a normal thread which has now... I don't know how to describe it really, become fuzzy in spots? No one but me notices it (only because I didn't go the sedan meet and let you see it) but it's there.

I have the ability to do it again, and have a spare boot so I can really take my time and get it right. But I decided to go with the Redline boot at this juncture. Perforated and quad stitched isn't something I desire to try on my own.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:41 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I don't like where this is going. Stitching *over* stitches just looks sloppy, no matter how much I try real hard to line up the thread. Plus, these are straight stitches, which would have to be doubled up in order to complete each loop, further botching the look.

I'm crying "Uncle!", and shelving this idea before I invest any more time into it. Putting the boot back in the car now.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:18 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Good Call John.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:40 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Yup, discretion is the better part of valor.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:35 PM
djdiskino

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Random find I came across today. We all know the hidden settings menu to adjust camera angles etc.. This one I came across after testing some more is holding the back button (not both like shown in the video) and rotating the **** 40 clicks whichever way (I think clockwise did the trick).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D-L...ature=youtu.be

The menu shows some information about the ECU and CAN BUS systems, also firmware versions of the software. There are a few menus that appear to not be clickable. There was one interesting option within the CONSULT info called "Cold Start" was afraid to touch it since it said something about deleting information.

Hopefully someone can offer some more insight into this
Old 09-29-2015, 09:04 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

I don't want to post this in the B2 thread because they seem to be very supportive of the forum and the G's.

This is the kit I've been working with the guys over at Japan Auction Parts on specifically for the Tommykiara series *****. But with different spring rates it should work with about any **** I think. The next gen design has been designed for threaded Hebi Bebi ***** (this is an unthreaded **** and a bit of a unicorn). The bezel is being redesigned but has to be machined still. And the new shift boot was just ordered yesterday.

Name:  545E9897-2E78-416D-9960-799B23730CFC_zpscnwtqmeu.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  1.62 MB
Old 09-29-2015, 09:11 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
RexHavoc I saw that on Facebook and wondered about it being used for a 7AT. I really want a setup like that but that Tommy **** is NOT cheap.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:21 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by xpcgamer
RexHavoc I saw that on Facebook and wondered about it being used for a 7AT. I really want a setup like that but that Tommy **** is NOT cheap.
It was NOT cheap. And the custom Hebi Bebi ***** are actually less than this one since it's unthreaded. But it works like a charm so far and, I think, looks awful nice in there. I'll have to decide what to do once I get the custom purple ****...

Right now the kits have been engineered for the Hebi Bebi but we were talking about using an Impul or other **** as well. PM Robbie or the JAP guys and see what their thoughts are. The weight of the **** and how it affixes will be the deciding factor on how it's built and assembled. I know Thomas wanted an Impul **** but may have changed his mind now I'm not certain.

If you were to get a **** of the same weight as the Hebi Bebi but not a Tommy **** the set up should still work for you. Just a thought. I was tempted to go with an ARC Titan at one point. Still may, who knows.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:31 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
I don't want to post this in the B2 thread because they seem to be very supportive of the forum and the G's.

This is the kit I've been working with the guys over at Japan Auction Parts on specifically for the Tommykiara series *****. But with different spring rates it should work with about any **** I think. The next gen design has been designed for threaded Hebi Bebi ***** (this is an unthreaded **** and a bit of a unicorn). The bezel is being redesigned but has to be machined still. And the new shift boot was just ordered yesterday.

That's a sexy beast right there Chris, look forward to how the finished product ends up. I'm sure it'll be a showstopper! Keep us posted
Old 09-29-2015, 09:59 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Thank you Brad!

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread