G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 11:10 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by CPJ LB
Almost finished prepping the G for my trip from Connecticut to Indiana - I decided not to rent a car this time. Since moving to CT, I've driven to other states (MA, NY, NJ, PA) in our other car, so this will be the first long trip in the G.

Going to catch a college football game in Indiana on Saturday so my planned route will be thru PA to OH in approx 8 hours, stay at a hotel then wake up early the next day to drive the remaining 6 hours from OH to Indiana.

Any of you East Coast guys have any travel experience or tips thru these states to pass along would be greatly appreciated.... I'll see how far I can go on a full tank (driving the speed limit off course ) before refueling. Mapquest indicates the trip (one way) is approx 825 miles...
I used to drive to MI from MD quite a bit...but in a different auto.

I've taken a couple of short trips in the G. About 3 hrs each way. And it was an absolute pleasure. I had my two kids (13 & 15 yrs old) and we had plenty of room and entertainment from the Bose and a smooth but spirited ride.

My only suggestion is: it looks like you'll be on the turnpikes, use an EZ Pass if you have one. The toll booths can be delay enhancement devices.

Sean
The following users liked this post:
CPJ LB (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 11:17 AM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
^ Thanks Sean!

Unfortunately, I don't have an EZ pass as of yet...good tip! I'll be mainly on Interstate 80 once I get into PA. I guess I'll have my change ready for the tolls...

I agree about the comfort of the G...one more thing I just remembered, I'm going to put back on the front license plate - just to be cautious....Not sure how strict those states are about it...

Anthony
Old 09-24-2015, 11:23 AM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I figured that from his signature, but wanted to ask. Knowing my luck he probably upgraged to the S suspension first and was disappointed.
I was running Stock Journey suspension. Again it is a bit stiff.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:27 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by CPJ LB
I'm going to put back on the front license plate - just to be cautious....Not sure how strict those states are about it...
Yes. Very good idea. If your state requires them, then put it on. Why flirt with a ticket and/or delay?

Sean
Old 09-24-2015, 11:38 AM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Originally Posted by VIVID
Yes. Very good idea. If your state requires them, then put it on. Why flirt with a ticket and/or delay?

Sean
Agreed! just finished putting that bad boy back on!

I'm planning to do the sport front bumper swap on my car so when that project is completed, I'll get the 'floating' license plate bracket that Stillen sells. I don't want to put holes on the new sport bumper....that'll be sometime in the spring though.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:05 PM
tt350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The EZ Pass is a huge time and money saver. When you pick one up, it will have $35 on it. The tolls that uses the EZ Pass will also have a reduced rate for using it. I live in ND and I picked one up when I drove to New York and back. It was worth it for that trip alone.
The following users liked this post:
CPJ LB (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 12:12 PM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

^ Awesome! I'm actually searching EZ pass online right now... Thanks!
Old 09-25-2015, 07:51 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
So I was able to pick up a AFE takeda CAI and was wondering do I really need to reset my ECU after the install? Disconnect the battery overnight correct?
Old 09-25-2015, 07:55 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,707 Likes on 3,515 Posts
Originally Posted by xpcgamer
So I was able to pick up a AFE takeda CAI and was wondering do I really need to reset my ECU after the install? Disconnect the battery overnight correct?
I think disconnecting the battery is sound advice, since you're going to be connecting/reconnecting the MAF sensors. As for ECU reset... pretty sure things just work themselves out over time. Do it, don't do it, doesn't matter.

Let's see what other advice you get on that.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:58 PM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
EZ pass is pretty great if you'll be spending much time in the area. Lots of exits off highways in NJ have unmanned tollbooths that require like $.23 in exact change. It's a pain without EZ pass. You also pay a smaller toll on EZ pass.

Also, in NJ, keep your hands off your phone while driving. BT is fine. In PA, talking on the phone while holding it is fine, but texting while driving is illegal.

For long, highway trips, I recommend the Waze app for head's up on cop and hazards ahead. It's free for Android, and does navigation (although not as well as google maps, IMO). It's saved me from more than a few cops. In PA, the cops frequently use ENRADD devices that a radar detector won't catch. With Waze, when someone ahead of you sees it, they mark it on the map, and your phone warns you when you get close. It's not foolproof, but a great addition to situational awareness, especially on long rides. I use this to keep my phone visible/accessible, and strongly recommend it.
Amazon.com: Mpow Grip Pro 2 Universal CD Slot Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6S/6+/5,Samsung Galaxy and More,with Just A Push, 360 Degree Rotation: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Mpow Grip Pro 2 Universal CD Slot Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6S/6+/5,Samsung Galaxy and More,with Just A Push, 360 Degree Rotation: Cell Phones & Accessories
Old 09-25-2015, 11:10 PM
pledes23
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I think disconnecting the battery is sound advice, since you're going to be connecting/reconnecting the MAF sensors. As for ECU reset... pretty sure things just work themselves out over time. Do it, don't do it, doesn't matter.

Let's see what other advice you get on that.
I actually never unplugged either when I swapped mine out and never had any issues, nor did I reset the ECU. Granted key was never anywhere near the car to where any electronic would engage due to the proximity of the remote.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:02 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Going to be installing a new shift ****. Going with an unthreaded Hebi Bebi MT **** (which I'm told is a unicorn) with a conversion kit for the AT.
Name:  TK%20Kit_zpslbk6fft3.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  101.1 KB

Also for anyone with an MT looking for a new **** that wants something a little different my buddies in Japan have worked with Tommykiara and gotten a group buy together for the Hebi Bebi *****. In this instance you can order your own custom color selected from below. Good opportunity to get something exceptionally rare. For the AT guys they are also building a conversion kit specifically for the Hebi Bebi threaded ****.
Name:  TK%20Colors_zpsah4fpmml.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  164.6 KB

I also received my latest care package from the land of the rising sun. These are the turtles that started off the custom color run. And a few other odds and ends...
Name:  TK%20Shipment_zps4de5rldm.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  81.8 KB
Old 09-26-2015, 09:09 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,707 Likes on 3,515 Posts
You could put that chrome script signature on your trunk, like Tony's boosted sedan where it reads TranBuilt.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:28 AM
PG-v36_6MT

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
Did my first UOA:

Should I be worried? I have an 07 that I bought two years ago with 59K on the clock. Changed the oil right away to Redline 5w30 and have been doing 5K OCI's. I'm currently on my 4th oil change using Redline since owning the car.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:20 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
You could put that chrome script signature on your trunk, like Tony's boosted sedan where it reads TranBuilt.
I was thinking about that. I haven't really decided what to do with it but I grabbed it so I have it until I do. I need to redo / rethink the trunk area and rear of the car. The diffuser shifted so I need to pull that off and remount that.

I'm still on the fence about the skyline lettering especially with the new grille emblem that I'll have shortly. I suppose a "hybrid" would be okay for awhile. I also picked up a funky "nismo" badge I have to decide whether to mount.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread