G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 07:19 PM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Spence_moran
But A/C seats in convertible a big selling point in AZ. Let me know what you guys think
I rented a Yukon in the high desert of UT this summer and let me tell you, air-conditioned seats are a game changer. I didn't want to give it up.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:59 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by the_wolff
I rented a Yukon in the high desert of UT this summer and let me tell you, air-conditioned seats are a game changer. I didn't want to give it up.
For sure, when I had my Genesis Sedan it had A/C seats, so amazing on a hot summer day.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:48 PM
RxRyanM
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by the_wolff
A/C seats are life changers.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:54 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I've been going back and forth with Chris at WC Lathe Werks on a new shift **** to go along with the TWM STS. The OE shifter ~3.5", so to get back to OE (or close) height, Chris suggested increasing the length of the shaft to make up for the 1/2" shorter shifter.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Sedan Chat Thread-350z-equatortall.jpg  
Old 09-17-2015, 06:59 AM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Whoops never mind! Looks odd but maybe its the rendering?
Old 09-17-2015, 07:13 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by xpcgamer
Whoops never mind! Looks odd but maybe its the rendering?
Yeah, I'm not sold. This is the non-lengthened design. This version would be 2.7" in overall height, so I'd lose another ~3/4" in shifter height compared to where I am now, which would put it way too low for me.
Attached Thumbnails Sedan Chat Thread-350z-equator.jpg  
Old 09-17-2015, 08:06 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
That **** rendering looks goofy. Still trying to reconcile the shifter height, eh? Well, keep at it, Lego. You're my canary in the coal mine with that STS.

Other than the **** feeling too low, how are things with this project a week later?
Old 09-17-2015, 08:57 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
That **** rendering looks goofy. Still trying to reconcile the shifter height, eh? Well, keep at it, Lego. You're my canary in the coal mine with that STS.

Other than the **** feeling too low, how are things with this project a week later?
Yeah, im not sure I like it. I also think I'm in the minority in that I don't want a super short shift ****.

A week later and it's breaking in nicely. It doesn't require as much physical effort--remember I also replaced the side springs in the shifter last year. I actually like it more now than a week + ago, and I'm getting use to the new height. At this point, I'm starting to lean towards keeping the OE **** or going with a polymer teardrop.

Roughly how tall is the teardrop shaped shifter you have?

I'm going to do the Rochester and take my time with this. Redline shift boot with perforation nappa leather and silver stitching shipped Monday. Should match my interior nicely
Old 09-17-2015, 09:11 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I also think I'm in the minority in that I don't want a super short shift ****.
Well then we're both in that minority. I always thought it was strange, people actually wanting their shift **** buried deep in the boot. That's always looked ridiculous to me, and somewhat impractical.

A week later and it's breaking in nicely. It doesn't require as much physical effort--remember I also replaced the side springs in the shifter last year. I actually like it more now than a week + ago, and I'm getting use to the new height.
GTK that it becomes an acceptable New Normal. However, I don't remember at all what you're talking about with the "side springs". I don't even know what that is. Can you direct me to a thread where that discussion is going on, please?

At this point, I'm starting to lean towards keeping the OE **** or going with a polymer teardrop.
In November, I'm ordering another, identically designed teardrop ****, in gray Copolymer. For winter driving, because this Ti **** gets too damn cold.

Roughly how tall is the teardrop shaped shifter you have?
Hang on, I'll go out to the garage and measure the height for you.

I'm going to do the Rochester
LOL

Redline shift boot with perforation nappa leather and silver stitching shipped Monday. Should match my interior nicely
Looking forward to seeing that. Some time ago, I got this idea about going over the stitching in my boot with a contrasting thread, white perhaps. It never got any traction, because I couldn't get the **** off. I wonder if I should revisit those plans, or consider a new boot entirely? My choices are somwhat hampered with the Stone Leather interior.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:26 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Well then we're both in that minority. I always thought it was strange, people actually wanting their shift **** buried deep in the boot. That's always looked ridiculous to me, and somewhat impractical.

hebibebi

However, I don't remember at all what you're talking about with the "side springs". I don't even know what that is. Can you direct me to a thread where that discussion is going on, please?
MTEC Industries Online Shop | MTEC Industries

I didn't start a new thread, just talked about it here. It didn't make a significant difference, but the effect may be exaggerated now that I have the STS.

Hang on, I'll go out to the garage and measure the height for you.
Thanks!

Looking forward to seeing that. Some time ago, I got this idea about going over the stitching in my boot with a contrasting thread, white perhaps. It never got any traction, because I couldn't get the **** off. I wonder if I should revisit those plans, or consider a new boot entirely? My choices are somwhat hampered with the Stone Leather interior.

Have you checked out Redline Leather? I bet you could get pretty darn close to the Stone Leather color

Shift boot colors - RedlineGoods leather shift boots
Old 09-17-2015, 09:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Here, this should help us figure this out:

This is interesting. Until this morning, I would have said the LatheWerks **** was similar in height to OEM. But clearly that's not the case. The OEM **** is 3/8" taller (when rounding to eighth inches.)

Here's an idea: there seems to be enough threads to support raising the **** up a little bit with washers on the underside of the shift boot. I'm guessing there's a 1/4" available with that approach.

And I still think there's value in researching bolt extenders, which I've only done a tiny bit so far, enough to know such an animal exists.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:13 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Yeah, using a washer as a spacer was another thought I had.

In fact, the instructions that came with the TWM say to reuse the stock washer (its the thin black washer, if you recall my pic) but the 370 uses a larger white washer according to the instructions and accompanying pictures.

Hmmmm....I needed to run out over lunch and get dog food....lowes is In the same center as petsmart...
Old 09-17-2015, 10:28 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Lego, what is the spec on the shifter threads? Do you know off the top of your head?

Maybe a discussion with your local Fastenal store on a bolt extender? And if the exact size you need doesn't exist, there's always the hacksaw.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:44 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Lego, what is the spec on the shifter threads? Do you know off the top of your head?

Maybe a discussion with your local Fastenal store on a bolt extender? And if the exact size you need doesn't exist, there's always the hacksaw.
Or, get the 370Z spacer. I always thought our cars had the same shift ****, but maybe there is a slight difference

ZSPEED PERFORMANCE:

Note the difference in the spacer--black G, white 370
Attached Thumbnails Sedan Chat Thread-370z-spacer.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 09-17-2015, 11:15 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Or, get the 370Z spacer. I always thought our cars had the same shift ****, but maybe there is a slight difference
Different *****, but same thread specs, AFAIK.

Playing with my **** this morning (LOL), I would not recommend raising the Tear-drop **** any more than 1/4" using spacers/washers.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread