G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 04:04 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Will look at doing the Throttle body cleaning during the weekend. But I won't be touching the actual flap. I'll get what I can around and behind it.
Just installed the front Eibach sway bar. Real great! I think I hear a squeak but I used heavy duty tractor grease (supposed to be anti squish, won't run out with water or heat Blah, blah, blah). Got the car back in the garage cleaned up all the tools closed the door and Fedex rings my door bell with my new SPC rear camber kit. I just cleaned it all! Oh well. I'll wait for the rear sway bar to come in and do it all at once.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:44 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Anyone have an exploded parts view of our front end? I'm trying to find the part # for the splash guard underneath the engine
Old 09-11-2015, 07:40 PM
blueis300
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MaQG37
Anyone have an exploded parts view of our front end? I'm trying to find the part # for the splash guard underneath the engine
2013 Infiniti G37 Parts - OEM Online Parts

Part Number: 75892JK000
The following users liked this post:
MaQG37 (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 07:47 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by xpcgamer
Will look at doing the Throttle body cleaning during the weekend. But I won't be touching the actual flap. I'll get what I can around and behind it.
Just installed the front Eibach sway bar. Real great! I think I hear a squeak but I used heavy duty tractor grease (supposed to be anti squish, won't run out with water or heat Blah, blah, blah). Got the car back in the garage cleaned up all the tools closed the door and Fedex rings my door bell with my new SPC rear camber kit. I just cleaned it all! Oh well. I'll wait for the rear sway bar to come in and do it all at once.
Cleaning the TBs is pretty simple. Time consuming but simple. I did it in the parking lot of my apartment complex then seafoamed. I moved the crap out of the butterfly, full range, locked it open and scrubbed. I had a CEL the next day on the way to work but by the following day the car was running fine again.

Huge difference in the way it ran and shifted. As I'm thinking about it ill clean them next week again too since they have to come off to install the plugs.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:55 AM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Too funny.

Tein Basis springs & shocks are installed in the rear, with a SPC Camber & Toe kit. All four corners are now exactly 26 3/4" floor to fender, and the rears are at a very appealing looking -2.2* and -2.3* camber.

Front CO's are sitting in my attic, awaiting a future install. In the meantime, I'm content with the Swift Springs in the front. Ride quality is excellent, virtually identical to the Swift springs and OEM sport shocks... that are still on the front, which might have something to do with that, LOL.

Favorite pic:

Hmm well, looks like I've missed some action then John, you getting coilovers out of the blue and then very cheap (not referring to quality) ones at that too. I considered them at 550 for a set but I don't really see how the ride may not be of a lesser quality plus without dampening adjustability, unless somebody wants to convince me otherwise
Old 09-12-2015, 11:32 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
but I don't really see how the ride may not be of a lesser quality plus without dampening adjustability

Ride quality is a subjective thing. With Tein Springs & Shocks in the rear, and Swift Springs and OEM shocks in the front, the ride quality feels exactly the same as before. If I had to err one way or the other, I'd say the back end is a little more stiff, but barely if at all. That said, damping adjustment becomes irrelevant (to me, for now). I wouldn't want it any stiffer.

I feel like I rolled the dice with Brad's recommendation on the new Tein Basis CO's. All I was looking to do was adjust ride height (and camber, naturally, with the SPC kit), without sacrificing anything except money. It was a gamble maybe, but I'd say this was also a win, Mike.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-12-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:11 PM
Mik3G37S

Ride quality is a subjective thing. With Tein Springs & Shocks in the rear, and Swift Springs and OEM shocks in the front, the ride quality feels exactly the same as before. If I had to err one way or the other, I'd say the back end is a little more stiff, but barely if at all. That said, damping adjustment becomes irrelevant (to me, for now). I wouldn't want it any stiffer.

I feel like I rolled the dice with Brad's recommendation on the new Tein Basis CO's. All I was looking to do was adjust ride height (and camber, naturally, with the SPC kit), all without sacrificing anything except money. I think it's a win, Mike.
I understand, I just can't really chew on the idea of no adjustability, because if I want coilovers, dampening adjustability is the main reason for me to get them so I can tweak the stiffeness of the suspension the way I would like it to be. I'm all game spending 550 rather than 2k for KW V3s which are kinda pricey for me anyways and is a top notch brand but giving up dampening adjustability raises doubts...

Unless I settle for something else decent with dampening adjustability but significantly cheaper than KW V3s which are 2100 and that is a good deal. Anybody have specific brands of coilovers in mind with stiffeness adjustment?
Old 09-12-2015, 01:41 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
I understand, I just can't really chew on the idea of no adjustability, because if I want coilovers, dampening adjustability is the main reason for me to get them so I can tweak the stiffeness of the suspension the way I would like it to be. I'm all game spending 550 rather than 2k for KW V3s which are kinda pricey for me anyways and is a top notch brand but giving up dampening adjustability raises doubts...

Unless I settle for something else decent with dampening adjustability but significantly cheaper than KW V3s which are 2100 and that is a good deal. Anybody have specific brands of coilovers in mind with stiffeness adjustment?
Mike it depends what your plans are. If you already have sways, those combined w/ the Teins will give you a pretty tight setup suitable for occasional track duty. If you run the Teins w/out beefier sways the ride will be a bit soft.
The thing about all those adjustable coilovers is the usable window of those adjustments is pretty narrow, at least for daily driving (this is in reference to the Taiwan based coils). The KWV3s would be in a different category as they're designed for track days.

FWIW My Megans (which are in the same type as BCs, D2s, etc) are really only suitable for DD about 3/5ths up the stiffness scale, a couple clicks less and it's floaty and a couple clicks more and it's a spine snapper.

If you have sways I think I'd pony up the $550 unless you're planning a lot of days at the track
Old 09-12-2015, 02:06 PM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by blnewt
Mike it depends what your plans are. If you already have sways, those combined w/ the Teins will give you a pretty tight setup suitable for occasional track duty. If you run the Teins w/out beefier sways the ride will be a bit soft.
The thing about all those adjustable coilovers is the usable window of those adjustments is pretty narrow, at least for daily driving (this is in reference to the Taiwan based coils). The KWV3s would be in a different category as they're designed for track days.

If you have sways I think I'd pony up the $550
Hmmm... I do have the sways and FSTB, I'll have to give it some thought, thanks Brad
Old 09-12-2015, 02:16 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

I don't know many people who track their Luxury Sedans on a constant basis that would require that person to go all out with Track Ready CO's. I think blnewt mentioned in a post (IIRC) that the Basis's are plenty for 90% of the drivers. I am in that 90%. I wanted to lower the car, Stiffen it up and make it sportier. I have done that with the Tein's, OEM wheels and Eibach front and rear sways. I'd say if it wasn't for Brad and John I am not sure where this car would be now!
Thanks Guys!
The following 2 users liked this post by xpcgamer:
blnewt (09-12-2015), Rochester (09-12-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 02:41 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Hmmm... I do have the sways and FSTB, I'll have to give it some thought, thanks Brad
There's no one stopping you from upgrading yet again in a few years. That possibility is always in my back pocket.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:25 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
At my kids varsity game, looking back on the parking lot at half-time.

Can you spot my car?
You park in the middle of nowhere (win), but you don't back in?? (fail)
Old 09-12-2015, 05:40 PM
Mik3G37S

There's no one stopping you from upgrading yet again in a few years. That possibility is always in my back pocket.
Well true, but the thing is if I get coilovers I want something decent so I won't have to get another set in a year or two.

How are those Tein basis coilovers when it comes to height adjustment? Is it a PITA to adjust the rear? And I take it, that it is because they're not true coilovers in the rear but a spring and a shock like you mentioned John, right? I mean is there a disadvantage because of that or it doesn't really matter, some more info would be nice
Old 09-12-2015, 05:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Well true, but the thing is if I get coilovers I want something decent so I won't have to get another set in a year or two.

How are those Tein basis coilovers when it comes to height adjustment? Is it a PITA to adjust the rear? And I take it, that it is because they're not true coilovers in the rear but a spring and a shock like you mentioned John, right? I mean is there a disadvantage because of that or it doesn't really matter, some more info would be nice
Our rear suspension is not designed with springs over shocks. They're separate, like the Altima.

I'm nearly at full extent for height, and the rear is 26 3/4" floor to fender. I suspect there's another 1/4" height available, but I'm where I want to be.

The only thing that's adjustable is the top seat on the spring. It's somewhat difficult to do with the included spanner wrenches. You could purchase a longer spanner wrench (Joe's Racing, for example), or you could just tackle the project with patience. Use one hand to balance the wrench, and the other with an open palm. You should be able to move the ring two or three teeth at a time. Then you use both wrenches to torque the lock-ring down.

From what I understand, the fronts are far easier, but IDK that yet.

It's not that bad, Mike. Knowing you having met you twice, and you knowing me the same, let me just say if I can do it, then... well. LOL
Old 09-13-2015, 10:47 AM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Well just cleaned my Throttle bodies. I didn't rotate the flaps. I don't think its needed. I hit it with CRC and what ever was there flaked off. I cleaned inside the plenum a bit also. Engine is SMOOTH as butter .

And to think I actually made an appointment for Friday to have the dealer do this for 150+ tax.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread