G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 06:13 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Ugh! I was trying to get away from doing any grinding . Thought I would be fine but if you say its a good idea...I'm off to look for a deal then .
Old 09-03-2015, 06:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by xpcgamer
Ugh! I was trying to get away from doing any grinding . Thought I would be fine but if you say its a good idea...I'm off to look for a deal then .
If you're talking about elongating the bolt holes... I was worried my mechanic would complain about it being a b1tch, but after the install he said it was no big deal.

Not that it would be easy for me, just saying it was for him. So there it is.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-03-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:22 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by xpcgamer
Here's the "deal" you need two of these kits (4 bolts total).
SPC Performance Camber/Toe Cam Bolt Kit; Pair, Reqr's 1 per Wheel INFINITI G35
Use a dremel tool w/ a 1" cutoff wafer, get a scrap piece of metal to wear the disc down a bit so it's smaller in diameter, this makes it simple to get in the slot and start elongating. For the toe slots you only have to elongate the inner side of the slot (the side that points inward toward the differential) this is where the bolt will rest. The camber slots also only need to be elongated to the inside since this will reduce your negative camber. It won't hurt anything if you elongate the slot on both sides (as per the template, it's just not necessary and takes more time).
Here's the install instructions & general info for those bolts
Specialty Products Company | SPC Alignment | The Automotive Alignment Leaders

http://www.spcalignment.com/instruct...65-INS_WEB.pdf
And here is those cutoff wheels I'm talking about, much easier than those cutting bits since you can get right in w/ the tool rather than having to use a flex attachment. Get a multi pack, you'll probably go through 4 or 5 of them.

When you elongate the slot just take your time and test fit the bolt several times as you go, you want the bolt to be snug in the slot, no slop. Make sure it turns without binding but pretty firm. Once you get the hang of it it's a simple DIY.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:54 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Two other 6MT owners drove my car last weekend. That moment of clarity happened within seconds rolling slowly out of the hole, followed by validation while shifting into 2nd, and an immediate determination to put this mod at the top of their lists.

I am not exaggerating. However, I am using big words.
I hear you one the RJM, reading and reading a lot about it again made me wanna get it although I haven't driven your sedan obviously because I couldn't make it to the meet this year unfortunately... I did although drive a 2014 Q60 6MT coupe with an RJM pedal right after it was installed, it was "okay" but only because I guess it needed to be adjusted to the right settings for a more noticeable improvement and the "wow" factor. I also in the time I've had my car got used to the way the clutch pedal is and I guess I don't require it AS MUCH as I used to anymore, although 1st to 2nd are still a PITA many times
Old 09-04-2015, 11:12 AM
pledes23
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
G37 Sedan *Chat Thread*

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
1st to 2nd are still a PITA many times
This is where the RJM stands out. Bro it's definitely worth it, and adding a STS I feel will only improve the experience.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:17 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
I have no problems with the clutch but maybe I am just used to it.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:35 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
I have no problems with the clutch but maybe I am just used to it.
I took a leap of faith in that purchase, based on review comments that are overwhelmingly positive, with no negatives that I could see. I even remember 3 years ago, installing the jsolo spring and dismissing the RJM pedal as overkill, with nothing but assumptions to back up that assessment.

I was wrong. But in this case, I'm very happy to have been wrong.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:22 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 508 Likes on 437 Posts
I spent about 3 hours yesterday doing the TWM STS install, and am on step 32 of 36. I'd have finished yesterday, but we had an electrician and a plumber out to scope out a couple projects and it pulled me away.

Anyway, a couple teaser shots of my undamaged stock shift **** and the TWM vs stock shifter assembly after removing the plastic cup.

I'll finish this up today, but probably won't have driving impressions until tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Sedan Chat Thread-sts1.jpg   Sedan Chat Thread-sts2.jpg  
Old 09-06-2015, 10:49 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Very cool. For anyone asking, the TWM is the one on the left. You can see how the geometry starts to make sense side-by-side.

Lego, my only worry about this mod is having the **** too low in the shift boot. In that context, have you researched bolt extensions?

Anyway, I'm pretty eager to see your follow-up posts and pics. You know that I want this mod, and I respect your opinions here, so... have at it, man!

The only thing I did with the car this weekend was raise the clutch pedal. Much happier with this position.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-06-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:04 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Very cool. For anyone asking, the TWM is the one on the left. You can see how the geometry starts to make sense side-by-side.

Lego, my only worry about this mod is having the **** too low in the shift boot. In that context, have you researched bolt extensions?

Anyway, I'm pretty eager to see your follow-up posts and pics. You know that I want this mod, and I respect your opinions here, so... have at it, man!

The only thing I did with the car this weekend was raise the clutch pedal. Much happier with this position.
I'm expecting the ****/shift boot aren't going to sit right, but getting the OE **** out undamaged gives me the flexibility to decide what to do--shorter boot, extension, different ****, etc.

Off to finish this up
Old 09-06-2015, 01:04 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Done!

All gears, especially 5th 6th and R engage flawlessly.

There is zero slop in the gearbox. It's like the proverbial rifle bolt.

So. Unbelievably. Awesome.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (09-15-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 01:21 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Done!

All gears, especially 5th 6th and R engage flawlessly.

There is zero slop in the gearbox. It's like the proverbial rifle bolt.

So. Unbelievably. Awesome.
I'm glad to hear the install went smooth. This is my next mod on my to-do list now that I just recently got my RJM installed.

While I'm there, I'd like to get a new aftermarket **** as well. I'm looking at the two below.

John - which **** did you have in your 6MT? I liked the feel of that one as well.

TWM Big Type R (stainless)
Big Type R Shift **** | TWM Performance Shift *****

Nismo Ti ****
Old 09-06-2015, 01:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by connoisseurr
John - which **** did you have in your 6MT? I liked the feel of that one as well.
LatheWerks.com. Solid titanium, teardrop design with matching titanium boot ring.

Had it for over a year now. Still love the way it feels in my hand while driving.

Connor, I used to like the NISMO ****, too. But that was purely from pics. When I had an opportunity to see and hold one in person, it was a resounding "Nope". Too narrow, two small, too awkward all around.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-06-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:40 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Looks like that **** is no longer available
Old 09-06-2015, 01:42 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by connoisseurr
Looks like that **** is no longer available
It never was. Teardrop Ti for Nissan is a custom order.

Just email the guy. He was very accommodating.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread