G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 05:26 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
I think the Tein build quality would be a notch over the Taiwan COs, most Japanese products are superior in that regard, but YMMV. I have Megan COs which are from the same source as BCs and are so similar they could almost be called the same, and I've been happy w/ them for about 35k miles now, but that adjustment "feature" isn't really much of one IMO. A couple clicks down and it's too floaty and a couple clicks up and it's too firm.
Also using OEM top front mounts is superior to pillow ball mounts too, at least in the cheaper setups. FWIW KWs use OEM top mounts too
Have you lowered your car past 2''? I don't see myself lowering my G that much but having the option is always enticing.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:40 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by MaQG37
Have you lowered your car past 2''? I don't see myself lowering my G that much but having the option is always enticing.
I was over 2" w/ my B&G lowering springs, I'm at zero gap now which is around 2". I won't go any lower, those B&Gs were too low for me, but I'm 53 so there's that, lol.
Also, coilovers have an optimimum drop range for longevity and performance, not sure what BCs are but when you go too deep you'll shorten the life of the dampers & they won't perform as well.

If I get some time I'll see what I can dig up regarding the recommended drop ranges for BCs.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:07 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
I was over 2" w/ my B&G lowering springs, I'm at zero gap now which is around 2". I won't go any lower, those B&Gs were too low for me, but I'm 53 so there's that, lol.
Also, coilovers have an optimimum drop range for longevity and performance, not sure what BCs are but when you go too deep you'll shorten the life of the dampers & they won't perform as well.

If I get some time I'll see what I can dig up regarding the recommended drop ranges for BCs.
Well, this has got me thinking. When I first got the car, I was dead set on coilovers. I saw the Tein Basis and tossed that idea around. Then, I came across Eibach/Swift springs. Finally, I'm back to square one wanting to lower the car more than that along with dampening abilities.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:13 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 508 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I do appreciate the advice, Lego. But these discretionary expenses on the car are big decisions for me, whether they have to be or not. So I talk about it, and ask questions, and debate myself as much as others. Blah blah blah.
I understand, but I'm just saying, it's a lot of incremental cost.

Tein CO: $1000 installed and aligned

KWV3: $2800 installed and aligned (if purchased new), or $1800 installed and aligned if you go used. Rough numbers based on google, but it's all relative.

If, in two years, you get "better" coilovers, then you've spent an extra $1000 that you cant recuperate. Two installations. Two alignments. On top of a decent amount of coin already spent on trying to nail the ride height.

I understand planned mods, and sticking to a budget. It's why I've talked about getting wheels how many times, but never pulled the trigger because car mods = cash, and I hate to see my balance drop by a thousands of dollars for a mod.....

Getting Tein CO now, only to replace them in two years just seems financially wasteful. If you can't swing more now, live with the car for a bit. Perfection never happens over night, and cars are always a work in process.

Finally, I'm back to square one wanting to lower the car more than that along with dampening abilities.
Any spring you want + Koni Yellows
The following 2 users liked this post by Lego_Maniac:
Rochester (07-20-2015), twin_snails (07-21-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 11:07 PM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I understand, but I'm just saying, it's a lot of incremental cost.
Tein CO: $1000 installed and aligned
KWV3: $2800 installed and aligned (if purchased new), or $1800 installed and aligned if you go used. Rough numbers based on google, but it's all relative.

If, in two years, you get "better" coilovers, then you've spent an extra $1000 that you cant recuperate. Two installations. Two alignments. On top of a decent amount of coin already spent on trying to nail the ride height...

Getting Tein CO now, only to replace them in two years just seems financially wasteful. If you can't swing more now, live with the car for a bit. Perfection never happens over night, and cars are always a work in process....
Devil's advocate...

24 months of having a ride height you wish with decent suspension characteristics. I feel you could easily get a couple hundred back for the used Teins when you are ready to upgrade. That's less than a dollar a day to act as a stop gap for the current issue without having to postpone a future mod you're super motivated to do(Frontier gears). The alignment costs really shouldn't factor in though if we're talking two or three years. One pothole can incur that cost at anytime.

Regardless the decision, the suspension needs to be corrected. My thoughts are aligned (see what I did there?) with Brad. Stick to the plan as much as possible, but address the droopy look that is obviously a thorn in your side with the less expensive Basis. In the end, John will figure it out. And I've got a pretty good inkling that he easily has the funds for the KWs whenever he wants them. He seems like old money... very calculating.

Also, it's been suggested to me several times to purchase used coilovers. I'm not feeling it. Too many unknowns. It makes me scoff a bit to read "low mileage" on a set of used coilovers in the classified section. These are dynamic components that wear. Unless you personally know the driver and the average life of the suspension, it's a risky financial endeavor. Anyone price the rebuild on a set of coilovers? Not exactly cheap maintenance.
The following 2 users liked this post by nelledge:
nishfish871 (07-21-2015), Rochester (07-21-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 07:45 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Very good to have you in this forum, Cowboy. It's been 3-4 years since the Org, but seems like yesterday.

When are you going to start a progress thread so we can follow your new car and what you do with it?

Last edited by Rochester; 07-21-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:10 PM
RxRyanM
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
It's not really about the money, it's about how the money is spent, and done so in a way that I can rationalize as a hobby activity while still being responsible for family and home.
Easily the most mature statement I've ever seen regarding modding vehicles. Hopefully I can abide by it when I have more money available to use as I please.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:37 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
^ Definitely the right and responsible way to go about things. I saved and planned for 4+ years before I started "really" modding my car. During the 4 years I only had minor things like a drop, wheels, and exhaust. It takes a lot of dedication and planning if you want to do things "right". Also, as we all know, plans never always go accordingly. Even though I consider the current state of my car quite fun, I have already planned the next 2 phases and have since gone into the "acquisition" mode again. I believe that as long as you don't let your hobby cut into your responsibilities than you are doing good!
Old 07-21-2015, 01:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
My car plans are very minor compared to your vision, Tony. I only ever wanted to spend a few thousand dollars on stuff each year throughout long-term ownership. Just enough to introduce a steady sense of change and fun.

I'm actually quite a boring guy, with a pretty simple life, so... WINNING! (LOL)
Old 07-21-2015, 02:30 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
I was more talking about the planning aspect as opposed to the overall finished goal. Is there ever really a finished goal though? I'm thinking this hobby will always be perpetual. The actual modding and tuning spirit will still live on no matter what stage or platform. Well, at least for me it will!
Old 07-21-2015, 05:25 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

I'd compare modding our cars to fashion. It never ends. You never "win".
Old 07-21-2015, 06:23 PM
nelledge
n00b

Very good to have you in this forum, Cowboy. It's been 3-4 years since the Org, but seems like yesterday...
Thanks. It's good to be part of another forum where car enthusiasts can share ideas and opinions.

...When are you going to start a progress thread so we can follow your new car and what you do with it?
Meh. I feel like the guy that walks into a party late. The adult beverages are gone, the only hors d'oeuvres left are cold cocktail weenies, the dancing is over, the pretty girls have left, and the music is slow. I don't know how enlightening it would be to anyone. I may start one, but don't expect to see much.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:33 PM
nelledge
n00b

I'd compare modding our cars to fashion. It never ends. You never "win".
Did you just compare cars to clothes? Be glad I remember your SO works in the fashion industry.

A better analogy would be to compare modding our cars to deciding which annuals to line the garden with next season. Always trying to stay ahead of Susan in the local garden club.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:10 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nelledge
Did you just compare cars to clothes? Be glad I remember your SO works in the fashion industry.
I think I got the analogy from a movie. I want to say it was, The Devil Wears Prada, but I'm not 100%.

I got in the ebay Chinese radio/AC ***** posted a few pages ago. They do not fit.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:51 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 508 Likes on 437 Posts
Over the last week or so I've noticed my serpentine belt squealing at startup.

It only happens at work where my car sits baking in the sun. And its been super hot down here, mid-high 90s. Oddly, it doesn't happen at home, even on weekends when my car sits just as long, albeit in a garage, which is probably hotter, but without the sun beating down on it.

The squeak only lasts 1-2 seconds.

Is it the heat causing the belt to stretch out? Or at almost 28k is it time to replace it?

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread