G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 11:05 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
The *before* measurement of the fronts this morning were -2.0* and -0.8* respectively. Which is way off from last year, when they were quite perfectly -1.3* and -1.5*. IDK why that changed. I suppose stuff happens when you drive.

Rears used to be -2.1* and -2.2* respectively. But after adding the rear spring spacers, that shifted to -1.6* and -1.9*... which is about what I expected, raising the rear approximately 0.6".

I'm looking at the car, and the driver's side rear is very clearly tilted into the car. On the upside, the wheel-to-fender fitment is absolutely and amazingly perfect (only on the one side), but that's not my focus here. What I'm going for is a compromise between negative camber and reasonable alignment. As it stands, the driver's side as too much negative camber, and the passenger side doesn't have enough.

Er-r-r-r-r-r.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-14-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:24 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Kinda surprised at the magnitude of change in a year for the fronts. If the roads in Rochester are anything like Cleveland, then I suppose a year of pot holes wrecks havoc on an alignment.

You could ask your alignment guy to put a dab of paint as index points to visually confirm how much deviation you have over time.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:47 PM
TLN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
The Sedans rear seats are fixed, but the center access will allow skis to fit, but no go on the snowboard.
The AWD G setup is pretty good, should do well for average winter driving conditions depending on your tires and if you keep the stock suspension height.
Looks like you've done your homework regarding RWD vs. AWD sport packages.
Welcome to the site too!
Ah.. That's bad. =( Not that it's a deal-breaker, but I want to keep boards inside rather then on a rack.
Even if I will lower a car for summer, I'd get it at stock height during winter.
Glad you confirmed about sport package.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:52 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Guys, is the SPC Rear Camber & Toe Kit the same for the Sedan as well as Coupe, all years? There's a FS thread I'd like to jump on.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...e-72260-a.html

I just had an alignment, and in order to get toe spot on, my driver's rear just went into crazy camber territory (-2.7*). I'm not happy, and it looks goddamn silly.

Fronts are -1.9* and -0.8*... which is almost a full degree off from one another, but not so much at a tilt as to make me cringe. I'd like everything to be in the -1.8 to -2.0 neighborhood. I'm thinking of just getting the kit for the rear, particularly since this is a good deal and it's just my rear that's whacked.
Yes all the camber kits are the same between sedans, coupes, and 370z. That is quite odd that one side of the rear is so much off of than the other when both sides were raised the equally. But to be honest, I never left the stock camber arms on when I lowered my vehicles so I have no visibility into how they behave when the car height is changed. I think getting the front and rear camber kits are a must from the get go when lowering a vehicle whether it's a mild spring drop or coilovers. I don't think I can count the amount of times I have altered the ride height and changed the alignment on my cars!

The kits should definitely be the answer now that you see such variation with the stock arms. Hopefully you can get them quick and get the alignment into your acceptable range!
Old 07-14-2015, 01:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Thanks, Tony. I PM'd the OP of that FS thread for purchase of the rears.

I think I'm just going to do the rears... less expensive and where the most obvious problems are. And then maybe do the fronts next year, if I get the itch.

I'll probably let the dealership install them, too, since that's where I'm getting the alignment done. $89 seems a fair price for a 4-wheel alignment, much much better than other shops. Plus, the Sr. Tech there and I are on the same page, and he said it would only be a one hour installation. (Don't tell my mechanic, LOL.)

[edit] Just bought the SPC Rear kit.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-14-2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:13 PM
sergery
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Thanks, Tony. I PM'd the OP of that FS thread for purchase of the rears.

I think I'm just going to do the rears... less expensive and where the most obvious problems are. And then maybe do the fronts next year, if I get the itch.

I'll probably let the dealership install them, too, since that's where I'm getting the alignment done. $89 seems a fair price for a 4-wheel alignment, much much better than other shops. Plus, the Sr. Tech there and I are on the same page, and he said it would only be a one hour installation. (Don't tell my mechanic, LOL.)
ugh... My dealer (Herb Chambers) charged me $120 (think maybe 129, don't remember exactly) for an alignment this past Sat. I just agreed to pay since I didn't feel like going someplace else and there was air-conditioning at the coffee shop across the street.

Not sure if they did one before I bought it CPO but I only put ~2,300 miles on it since I purchased it. Boston area roads can be rough on cars though.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:27 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Yikes $120? I am spoiled because I get to go to a friend's shop to use the alignment rack there and do the alignment myself. Maybe that also accounts for why I'm a stickler at having the settings 'just right' since I am the one adjusting them.

Are there no Firestones or NTBs near you that offers Lifetime or multi-year alignments?
Old 07-14-2015, 09:01 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
$120 sure sounds steep. I think that's what I paid for my lifetime alignment at FS. I think I've had it aligned 5 times since then and am going to try and go tomorrow again to get them to retweak my steering wheel.

I guess I should put on my summer tires too...
Old 07-14-2015, 09:07 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
What are your guys opinion on heavy shift ***** causing long term damage? Similar to the concept of resting your hand on the shifter in gear.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:07 AM
sergery
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
$120 sure sounds steep. I think that's what I paid for my lifetime alignment at FS. I think I've had it aligned 5 times since then and am going to try and go tomorrow again to get them to retweak my steering wheel.

I guess I should put on my summer tires too...
I was already there and just was lazy. There is an NTB in Cambridge not far from my place that I can go to in the future. Not sure about FS.

With the road near me more potholes than not I would think I can def get my moneys work out of a life time alignment.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:29 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by sergery
I was already there and just was lazy. There is an NTB in Cambridge not far from my place that I can go to in the future. Not sure about FS.

With the road near me more potholes than not I would think I can def get my moneys work out of a life time alignment.
I'm in a similar boat here in Memphis, the roads didn't seem too,bad in my TrailBlazer but now in the G and lowered it's a whole different story.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:08 AM
mezzo
Green Eyes!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Rex, i see you have lumen eyez JDM tails.. You got any pics on here of em by chance?
Old 07-15-2015, 09:24 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Amazon.com: 303 (30313-CSR) Aerospace Protectant Trigger Sprayer, 32 Fl. oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: 303 (30313-CSR) Aerospace Protectant Trigger Sprayer, 32 Fl. oz.: Automotive

This stuff is amazing for our interior. It's on sale today if you've got Amazon Prime.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:35 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by MaQG37
Amazon.com: 303 (30313-CSR) Aerospace Protectant Trigger Sprayer, 32 Fl. oz.: Automotive

This stuff is amazing for our interior. It's on sale today if you've got Amazon Prime.
It's better than any similar stuff I've used to-date, I would agree. I started using it... last year, I think.

If anyone wants to pick some up locally, the brick & mortar availability for Aerospace Protectant is at Marine Stores (boats). Not sure why that is, but that's where you'll find it. I happen to have a store like that about two miles from my house that sells Aerospace products.

Looking at the Gold Eagle website, I think they're starting to broaden their market out of the Marina. Makes sense.

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/303-products
Old 07-15-2015, 09:37 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by MaQG37
Amazon.com: 303 (30313-CSR) Aerospace Protectant Trigger Sprayer, 32 Fl. oz.: Automotive

Thanks for the heads-up but...

I've got Amazon Prime and I just got wait listed. 100% claimed right now.

Sean

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread