G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 01:15 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
True, but not by choice. It's the configuration that came from Vossen, and I'm none too happy with it, either. But I need the shorter stem for caliper clearance, since the valve is halfway deep inside the rim.

It's a cool looking design, having a deep lip. But kind of impractical. And a huge PITA to both clean and attach an air hose. I can't stress enough what a PITA that deep inner lip is.

/firstworld
I'm wondering how different that will be on my Rays. In my situation I'll be running them just to get the neo valve caps lower and more onto the wheel itself with the adapters. I think it will work. I hope.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:24 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
I'm wondering how different that will be on my Rays. In my situation I'll be running them just to get the neo valve caps lower and more onto the wheel itself with the adapters. I think it will work. I hope.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
blnewt (06-22-2015), nishfish871 (06-22-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 02:06 PM
nishfish871

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Thanks Rochester, I ended up ordering the non-tpms Hawkshead stubby seeing as our TPMS system is completely dumb. The WedsSport valve stem is a whopping $15 EACH. Luckily I don't have a problem with the deep inner lip. I just wanted a metal shorty valve stem that was affordable. $26 for all 4, I can live with that
Old 06-22-2015, 04:05 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Not stubby enough dammit.

Should work okay if I go grey. What's another couple hundred dollars?
Old 06-22-2015, 04:13 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
Had an alignment done about 3 months ago, -2 camber and toe again in spec.
I would get the alignment rechecked, I think your toe is probably off. It is possible the last tech didn't tighten the toe bolts enough when they adjusted it.

But I think lasting 10 months is pretty good, I usually have to change my rear tires every 6-8 months or so.

Edit:
Here are some weekend shenanigans

Last edited by ttv36; 06-22-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:31 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
If anybody ever considered installing a KP technologies fog light module, I myself advise not to, the word is some have successfully installed it but I'm not one of those people, It works but I'm stuck with a bigger problem now because of that, windows are stuck open and won't budge up nor down and also noticed the issue that I've heard of before that when the fogs are off and I use left turn signal, the foglights go on...

I'm stuck with no car till this gets figured out while my car sits at my buddy's garage
Old 06-23-2015, 06:36 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
If anybody ever considered installing a KP technologies fog light module, I myself advise not to, the word is some have successfully installed it but I'm not one of those people, It works but I'm stuck with a bigger problem now because of that, windows are stuck open and won't budge up nor down and also noticed the issue that I've heard of before that when the fogs are off and I use left turn signal, the foglights go on...

I'm stuck with no car till this gets figured out while my car sits at my buddy's garage
That sucks. My wife got me one as a gift years ago, but I never installed it. Instructions seemed.....complicated. At $50, you would think it would be more commonly used. Maybe there is a reason for that...
Old 06-23-2015, 07:38 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyHTX
I would get the alignment rechecked, I think your toe is probably off. It is possible the last tech didn't tighten the toe bolts enough when they adjusted it.

But I think lasting 10 months is pretty good, I usually have to change my rear tires every 6-8 months or so.
well alignement was done this past sun, ill post the new specs now. and no offesnse but 5k miles and 10 months of use for mild driving is completely unacceptable. Not like i'm running TT 500+whp...then I could get there
Old 06-23-2015, 08:14 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts

That's disappointing. Unless I'm mistaken, all you wanted to do was turn on the fog lights irrespective of the headlights, right? Seems you got a world of complications because of this thing.

Similarly, but way less severe, if you use those courtesy light projectors in the door lights, and one of the front doors are open, the only way you can open the trunk is with the release button on the dash. The fob and the release button on the trunk fail to function. Close the door, and everything works again.

Weird electronics, man. Very touchy.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:12 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

I thought you decided not to use them because of the potential for issues?
Old 06-23-2015, 10:23 AM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

well alignement was done this past sun, ill post the new specs now. and no offesnse but 5k miles and 10 months of use for mild driving is completely unacceptable. Not like i'm running TT 500+whp...then I could get there
How was the toe in the 'before' alignment section? I was anecdotally speaking on my previous 5 years of ownership with stock power levels where my commute was about 50 miles a day/5 days a week so about 6-8k miles. I guess in this situation mileage is more important than time? I understand your frustration though since the tires you ran did cost a pretty penny.

I haven't made it 6 months with TT yet, but I did have to replace my hankook tires last month that I bought last year around this time - they probably lasted that long because the car was sitting on a lift for 5+ months. I definitely won't be getting another set of those tires, but they were the cheapest at the time and I foresaw that I would have to replace them after the build. I have been told that PSS wear out quite fast from others so I decided not to get them and went with Continental DW tires for the street and am saving for a set of 18s for the track.

Last edited by ttv36; 06-23-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:55 AM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

one of the reasons why I never mess with electrical
Old 06-24-2015, 09:34 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyHTX
How was the toe in the 'before' alignment section? I was anecdotally speaking on my previous 5 years of ownership with stock power levels where my commute was about 50 miles a day/5 days a week so about 6-8k miles. I guess in this situation mileage is more important than time? I understand your frustration though since the tires you ran did cost a pretty penny.

I haven't made it 6 months with TT yet, but I did have to replace my hankook tires last month that I bought last year around this time - they probably lasted that long because the car was sitting on a lift for 5+ months. I definitely won't be getting another set of those tires, but they were the cheapest at the time and I foresaw that I would have to replace them after the build. I have been told that PSS wear out quite fast from others so I decided not to get them and went with Continental DW tires for the street and am saving for a set of 18s for the track.
well when I bout my rims/tires last Oct I had the dealership install everything along with an alignment. At that time I was running -2.2 camber and toe was within spec. Dont recall exact figure but all 4 tires were "green". I purchased the lifetime alignment from Firestone and had the car aligned again back in March I believe....and again was at -2.2 camber and again toe on all 4 corner was within spec. The roads arent really that harsh around here with the exception of a few hwys and my daily work commute is about a 10 mile round trip. The tires were only tracked once back in Nov and that was the 1/4 mile. So im not sure what went wrong where these past few months as my previous specs on the sheet was showing specs were outta whack, but to have both tires wear down the exact way within a 5k mile timeframe is just crazy. Trust me if I was abusing them alot then I could understand, but that wasnt the case here.

This time I went with some Dunlop sp sport maxx gt’s, so far so good, they grip the road very well imo. Guess time will only tell, but I do plan on getting an alignment about every 3 months now just see if the problem continues
Old 06-24-2015, 09:41 AM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
I got my alignment done a couple weeks ago and my toe was red in all four corners and the last time I got an alignment was over a year ago. my tires didn't even come close to looking like yours and I m running more camber than you
Old 06-24-2015, 11:21 AM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

well when I bout my rims/tires last Oct I had the dealership install everything along with an alignment. At that time I was running -2.2 camber and toe was within spec. Dont recall exact figure but all 4 tires were "green". I purchased the lifetime alignment from Firestone and had the car aligned again back in March I believe....and again was at -2.2 camber and again toe on all 4 corner was within spec. The roads arent really that harsh around here with the exception of a few hwys and my daily work commute is about a 10 mile round trip. The tires were only tracked once back in Nov and that was the 1/4 mile. So im not sure what went wrong where these past few months as my previous specs on the sheet was showing specs were outta whack, but to have both tires wear down the exact way within a 5k mile timeframe is just crazy. Trust me if I was abusing them alot then I could understand, but that wasnt the case here.

This time I went with some Dunlop sp sport maxx gt’s, so far so good, they grip the road very well imo. Guess time will only tell, but I do plan on getting an alignment about every 3 months now just see if the problem continues
When you say toe was in green are you talking about the "before" or "after" toe? I am asking if you know the "before" toe numbers not the "after" as the "before" tells you how much your alignment changed since the last time you had the car aligned. If your "before" values were in the green each time then it is quite puzzling as you say.

Hopefully you get better results with your dunlops! I find tires to be quite tricky as everyone has different experiences with any one brand/model and if we have a bad experience we can become jaded. Not to mention the fact that we all have our own different driving styles, suspension/alignment settings, and even within every batch of tires performance/durability could be different which complicates things even further.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread