G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 11:02 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
No, I have Eibachs. It's right there in my sig-line.
LOL, all I remembered was that you had non-Hotchkis...
Old 06-13-2015, 05:12 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
I test drove a new Mustang GT 6MT today, with the 3.55 rear gears.

Interesting car. Both awesome and cheap as ****... at the same time. Not at all worth the $42,000 sticker.
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (06-22-2015)
Old 06-13-2015, 05:48 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
I test drove a new Mustang GT 6MT today, with the 3.55 rear gears.

Interesting car. Both awesome and cheap as ****... at the same time. Not at all worth the $42,000 sticker.
Yeah, not really worth more than 35k to me.

The interior is nice for what it is but the performance is definitely worth it. I prefer the package with 3.73 gears and really like the look and feel of the toggle switches.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:08 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Yeah, not really worth more than 35k to me.

The interior is nice for what it is but the performance is definitely worth it. I prefer the package with 3.73 gears and really like the look and feel of the toggle switches.
Switches actually have a cheap feel to them, but they look really nice.

In fact, that kind of sums up the entire car: Cheap, but looks nice. There were so many fit & finish fails on the car. Hood was rubbing on the fender corner, trunk was literally 1/4" out of alignment. Panel gaps were HUGE. And those stupid hood creases are OK enough from the outside, but from the driver's seat it looks really, really dumb. From the inside, the car felt awkwardly long and flat. With a beltline at your freaking ears, just like the (horrible) Camaro.

Seats had very little thigh and side bolstering, without adjustment. Seats felt fat compared to our sport seating. However, having cooled seats in the summer time is such an awesome thing. Kind of shocked to experience that in a Mustang.

Shifter was good, although tacky looking. And you really need to shift hard to make the gears without mis-shifting (that could just be me, LOL). Clutch was way too soft, and engages immediately at the top. Didn't like the clutch pedal at all.

Power was undeniable, however. Absolutely faster than our cars, in every single gear at every speed. And given all the settings for comfort/sport/track, I can't see any reason why you would drive it in anything other than track, except for a long highway commute. The non-Track settings seemed pointless.

Oh, and the exhaust note was only so-so, until put into track mode. Then it was quite nice... but still not as nice as the Fast Intentions exhaust note. Not even close.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:36 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Switches actually have a cheap feel to them, but they look really nice.
As long as I feel like I'm in a fighter jet.

In fact, that kind of sums up the entire car: Cheap, but looks nice. There were so many fit & finish fails on the car. Hood was rubbing on the fender corner, trunk was literally 1/4" out of alignment. Panel gaps were HUGE. And those stupid hood creases are OK enough from the outside, but from the driver's seat it looks really, really dumb. From the inside, the car felt awkwardly long and flat. With a beltline at your freaking ears, just like the (horrible) Camaro.
Well, for the performance you get you have to let some of the other things go.

Seats had very little thigh and side bolstering, without adjustment. Seats felt fat compared to our sport seating. However, having cooled seats in the summer time is such an awesome thing. Kind of shocked to experience that in a Mustang.

Recaro's or bust.

Shifter was good, although tacky looking. And you really need to shift hard to make the gears without mis-shifting (that could just be me, LOL). Clutch was way too soft, and engages immediately at the top. Didn't like the clutch pedal at all.
I like the gear shifter but its something you have to get used to. The trans in the gt500 is better though.

Power was undeniable, however. Absolutely faster than our cars, in every single gear at every speed. And given all the settings for comfort/sport/track, I can't see any reason why you would drive it in anything other than track, except for a long highway commute. The non-Track settings seemed pointless.
Murica.

Oh, and the exhaust note was only so-so, until put into track mode. Then it was quite nice... but still not as nice as the Fast Intentions exhaust note. Not even close.
Yup, but a simple $400 axelback and you got great sound unlike us where we have to spend $1500 and it still doesn't compare.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Sounds like you've got a compromise ready-made for every consideration. And yes, that simple axle-back sounds amazing... can't deny that.

All I wanted to do was stop in and see the car. The salesman is the one who offered the test-drive. And I didn't have any negative preconceptions. On the contrary, I expected to like the car a lot more than I did, considering how sweet it looks from the walk-around (before you look close-up at the lack of build quality.)

Truth is, although my G is unquestionably slower, it doesn't matter. It's a more appealing drive to me. When I got back into my Infiniti, I distinctly felt like I had the better car...

...which is completely opposite of my experience with the Jaguar F-Type S. The Jag made my car feel both slow and cheap.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-14-2015 at 07:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (06-14-2015)
Old 06-13-2015, 09:50 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
So, I put on my Invidia Q300. Man, am I disappointed. Car is OEM quiet and I don't notice a single performance difference. Oh well, I guess ART pipes will come sooner.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:05 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MaQG37
So, I put on my Invidia Q300. Man, am I disappointed. Car is OEM quiet and I don't notice a single performance difference. Oh well, I guess ART pipes will come sooner.
Yeah, most catbacks (aside from the GTHAUS) are pretty subdued until you free up the cats bottleneck. The price we pay as sedan owners.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:25 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by MaQG37
The Invidia is probably the quietest catback. It will get a little louder after it breaks in.

If noise is what you're after, slip a couple thin washers in between the flanges of the mid/tail pipes
Old 06-14-2015, 01:16 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
The Invidia is probably the quietest catback. It will get a little louder after it breaks in.

If noise is what you're after, slip a couple thin washers in between the flanges of the mid/tail pipes
Well, getting the most out of my tune is what I was after plus how great the setup looks. I got am extemely good deal on the catback and r2c intake.I figured whatever I do to my cats will make me happy in the sound department.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:53 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Yeah, most catbacks (aside from the GTHAUS) are pretty subdued until you free up the cats bottleneck. The price we pay as sedan owners.
Similarly, if all you have are resonated cats with the OEM catback, the sound will remain relatively the same. Although you will experience more power gain with aftermarket cats only, vs aftermarket exhaust only. (Non-resonated cats are louder. Just are.)

The best bolt-on sound is when you mod both components of the exhaust. And the best overall sound is when you do both of those in combination with a tune.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:39 AM
blueis300
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
So would anyone have an opinion on sound of say a cheaper Top Speed axle back compared to the Invidia Q300? I see that the Invidia has the y pipe. How would that change the sound? Looking for something with a deeper rumble no really louder.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:21 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blueis300
So would anyone have an opinion on sound of say a cheaper Top Speed axle back compared to the Invidia Q300? I see that the Invidia has the y pipe. How would that change the sound? Looking for something with a deeper rumble no really louder.
You could try an intake like R2C.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:13 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by blueis300
For the price the TopSpeed has very good sound, deeper tone, no rasp, but the typical drone in the 1500-1800 rpm window. Been a great purchase for me, had it for 4 years + IIRC.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:47 PM
pledes23
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
G37 Sedan *Chat Thread*

Finally picked these bad boys up yesterday, and since weather was holding up I figured I'd slap them on. Took maybe an hour to install (I decided to clean the area where they go) I am very satisfied with the JDM tails, I love the way they break up the red in the rear, simple yet effective!!
Attached Thumbnails Sedan Chat Thread-photo870.jpg  

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread