G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 12:14 AM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 255 Posts
^Ok sounds good to me, just waanted to make sure it wasn't a hassle, I'll shoot a PM if I have any problems once I get the bulbs in, thx
Old 12-31-2013, 12:19 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
^Ok sounds good to me, just waanted to make sure it wasn't a hassle, I'll shoot a PM if I have any problems once I get the bulbs in, thx
Is pretty simple. The only thing that may give you some trouble is the left hand housing because you have to turn it to the left to pop it out but there is a tab in the way preventing you from doing it with the white clip installed. Just push in on the little tab on the clip and it should pop out. Then it'll pop out.

EDIT: Maybe this will help. Obviously remove the top half of the push clips, you can leave the bottom 4.

Name:  DSC_9721.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  102.0 KB

You'll also need to remove the trunk alignment clips.

Name:  DSC_9722.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  89.1 KB

No need to remove the emergency trunk release.

This is what I was talking about with the left hand reverse light.

Name:  DSC_9729.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  125.7 KB

Source: https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...iler-pics.html

Last edited by '11G37S; 12-31-2013 at 12:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
STownSaint (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 01:19 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
That's a good step by step. I've had my trunk liner out a couple times working on the latch and replacing the reverse lights with LEDs. Pretty simple though the left light did have me a bit frustrated until I looked at it and saw what I needed to do.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:37 AM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Yep. That HFC post was a good one.

OMG, you guys and your hurry-up mods. I feel like I'm living in this glacial timeline that just happens to be crossing your busy paths at the moment. Buzz Buzz.

Drove my car today for the first time in... a week, maybe? All I did was go about 2 miles away to pick up one of my kids from a play date. God, I hate Winter.
I hate our Winter weather out here as well. It's been to friggen hot for Winter in SoCal. We've had way too many 80+ degree afternoons and we've been dipping in to the LOWWWWWW 50's at night LOL

Last edited by ZOSTER33; 12-31-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:13 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by ZOSTER33
I hate our Winter weather out here as well. It's been to friggen hot for Winter in SoCal. We've had way too many 80+ degree afternoon and dipping in to the LOWWWWWW 50's at night LOL
Lmao! I'm done with living in those climates. The first 20 years of my life was bad enough.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:35 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
How often do you start up your car? Just curious as I've had some pretty sluggish starting if I don't start it for 4-5 days.
Working out of a home office makes car use very sporadic, and even less frequent during the winter, because winter. I have two remote offices, one at my employer and another at my client. But I never go to either unless there's an important meeting. (And even then.) Back at home, as a family, we usually take the wife's CR-V.

I'd say over the entire last two years, it averages out to once every two days. Maybe three. The car is 3 years old now, and there's 16,500 miles on the odometer.

I know, because I just took it for a ride to pick up bagels for breakfast.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:41 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by STownSaint
Any guys in here replace the reverse lights w/ LED?
I've got 'em. They're very pretty. (old pic) My buddy Matt gave them to me the year before, and he installed them, too, but it's pretty easy to unclip the trunk panel.

And amber LED's in the rear plate lights.

The following users liked this post:
STownSaint (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 10:10 AM
aktif8

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
just ordered my autokits diffuser in carbon, and - more contentiously - an experiment; picked up the slightly larger mt. Fuji from a QX56 to relocate a bit lower / compensate for the debadged infiniti lettering, and balance out the trunk a little better. Hopefully it doesn't look too ILX-ish.

After that, the only mod left I have to do is coupe seats..the driver's side bolster in my car - 70k miles - is NOT holding up well. Seems like one can get a set of low mile coupe seats for only about 1200 bucks.

I'm willing myself to not look in to FI. Might just have to pick up a toy this summer - I never should have gotten rid of my s2000. 135i roadster, anyone?
Old 12-31-2013, 10:11 AM
aktif8

I've got 'em. They're very pretty. (old pic) My buddy Matt gave them to me the year before, and he installed them, too, but it's pretty easy to unclip the trunk panel.

And amber LED's in the rear plate lights.

wow, I really like those amber license leds. never would have thought those would look good!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:16 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by aktif8
135i roadster, anyone?
Too goofy looking, IMO. How about the new 235i?

Originally Posted by aktif8
wow, I really like those amber license leds. never would have thought those would look good!
Thanks, aktif8. Pretty sure it works because of the Moonlight White and the color of NY plates.

My thinking is that I need to light up the rear plates because of traffic law, but there's nothing I'm aware of that says it has to be so fully lit as to be obvious, knowatimean? Pure White LED's over the plates calls too much attention to the plates, and I'd rather not do that.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:32 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts

Thanks, aktif8. Pretty sure it works because of the Moonlight White and the color of NY plates.

My thinking is that I need to light up the rear plates because of traffic law, but there's nothing I'm aware of that says it has to be so fully lit as to be obvious, knowatimean? Pure White LED's over the plates calls too much attention to the plates, and I'd rather not do that.
Hmm that actually looks pretty good!

Did you order those over the phone from me here at DD?

I remember talking to someone about amber license plate LEDs

Nick C.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:33 AM
aktif8

the 135 is...awkward, to be charitable about it. I do love the driving experience, however, and in a weekend toy, that's what I'm after.

Given that I need to get the wife a new car...and we're eyeballing 2010-2011 x5 3.5s... budget for the toy is going to be somewhat constrained
Old 12-31-2013, 10:41 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
Did you order those over the phone from me here at DD?
The reverse bulbs are a stalk of 5050 SMD emitters, 4x3 around the side, and one on top. Very good construction, which is obvious even to a layman's POV if you've ever bought LED's from Hong Kong before over eBay. My friend gave them to me, and he has a source... it may even be you, but IDK.

The plate bulbs actually are cheap LED's from Hong Kong, LOL. Had a bunch of various designs and colors left over from my last car. Putting them in the plate sockets was something I did like the day after I bought the car.

Trolling eBay for LED bulbs can be a fun distraction. So many options... although you usually get what you pay for. Meaning, if they work, they don't last that long. But it's not a lot of money, and can be fun getting dusty little brown packages from the other side of the planet.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:49 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
I had someone call and inquire about them.

I'm pretty sure I've only had one person ask me specifically for amber License plate LEDs, so there is a solid chance it was your friend.

Cool how that works out lol

Nick C.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:03 AM
Rochester
Administrator

No, you're reading that wrong, Nick. The amber plate bulbs were cheap LED's purchased from some nameless Hong Kong vendor off eBay many years ago. Ditto for the white LED's in my courtesy lights, and the panel of SMD's in my trunk. Those reverse light bulbs might be yours... could be. I have no idea.

My LED bulbs in the dome lighting, those I most definitely and personally purchased from you back in September. Very happy with the warm white look. Better than OEM, but not as blindingly annoying as pure white.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread