G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 05:51 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
Mine did not. I haven't uploaded the pics to photobucket so I can't post them right now but if you need me to I will.
Won't be necessary - but thanks for confirming this with me! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't sold some ****ty knock-off pipes as FI pipes. Thanks Rex
Old 12-27-2013, 06:30 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Anytime, I know the fear when buying used!
Old 12-27-2013, 08:22 PM
aktif8

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
This piece right here? Mine seems to be welded in... Or I just haven't gotten the correct angle on it yet.

I did get this far though I still need to dremel in the slots for the clip
Yes, it pops right out. When you pull off the shifter trim, it'll come along with it. Piece of cake!
Old 12-27-2013, 08:53 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by aktif8
Yes, it pops right out. When you pull off the shifter trim, it'll come along with it. Piece of cake!
I'm gonna trust you guys! Lol, it wasn't budging yesterday but once I got the shifter trim up it felt like two different pieces which confused me based on what I had read. Mind you, I'm easily confused
Old 12-27-2013, 09:58 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
SNIP

1. Stillen Short Throw Shifter
  2. RJM Clutch Pedal Assembly
SNIP
Which would you do first?

Rochester, sorry for the slow response. The RJM pedal was my first mod. I was pretty frustrated with the touchiness of the clutch - the combination of a very high engagement point and an abrupt transition makes it hard to be consistently smooth with the clutch (especially for someone with long legs). I like to be smooth without thinking about it ... the clutch and transmission should blend in to the driving experience, if you know what I mean. I bought the RJM after reading postings here and on the 370Z forums ... some people were satisfied with the spring mod, many were not. Everyone seemed thrilled with the RJM. I had another motivation as well - my wife hated the clutch, and sometimes it's nice to have her drive my car (because I need to borrow her SUV to haul things ).

It absolutely does what RJM claims - it allows you to adjust the ratio ('AFP") so that the transition is significantly less abrupt. In terms of engagement height, less successful - when you increase the AFP, the engagement height also increases. So when I get the transition I want, the engagement is still a bit high for me. There is a separate adjustment for height by moving the yoke on the master cylinder rod, but this is already bottomed out on my car. I'm going to play more with this when I get some time.

Overall the clutch feel is much better, but still not on par with say, a 335i. For me smoothing out the clutch was more important than a short throw shifter ... but I guess it depends on how much the standard clutch bothers you. And how much you want your wife to drive the car

Greg
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (12-27-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 11:49 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Good post, Greg. Thanks.

The wife doesn't drive the G at all. I actually had to force her to drive it once, and all she did was go around the block. IDK what it is, but part of me is OK with keeping the G entirely under my responsibility. With exception to this one oddity, we completely share everything else. So anyway, she doesn't factor into the equation.

You bring up a good point, which is how much the standard clutch bothers me. Truth is, the pedal really annoyed me until I swapped in jsolo's pedal spring. As it stands right now, I have no complaints at all. So in that context, I'm not looking to "fix" anything because nothing is broken, per se. Same goes for the shifter. It's fine the way it is.

Both the STS and clutch pedal mods are more a curiosity and an expectation of something better than current state. And they're each mods with an expense that fits nicely into a budget & planning game I like to play.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-28-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:59 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
BTW John & Chris, speaking of the gloss black grille topic, that we have talked about sometime ago, just went to the local body shop to get a quote and, to my surprise I was quoted $100 to get it painted gloss black and body color matched emblem, and if I decide to pull it off let's say next saturday in the morning, I can just drop it off this way and they're gonna take off the grill and remove the plastidip for additional 20$ , seems like a great deal if you ask me

Last edited by Mik3G37S; 12-28-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:51 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

That's a good price Mike, looking forward to seeing the final product. I'm still on the fence about mine. I can cover the chip but I'm wondering what a mesh grille would look like. I did decide to get my calipers done. Hopefully by late January they'll be done. I have a feeling people are either going to love them or hate them.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
BTW John & Chris, speaking of the gloss black grille topic, that we have talked about sometime ago, just went to the local body shop to get a quote and, to my surprise I was quoted $100 to get it painted gloss black and body color matched emblem, and if I decide to pull it off let's say next saturday in the morning, I can just drop it off this way and they're gonna take off the grill and remove the plastidip for additional 20$ , seems like a great deal if you ask me
That does seem a great deal.

So what's the plan? Whole grille painted black, or just the slats? Body color on the chrome emblem... what color is that again?

Remember, the logo has a surface and sides. You're going to want the sides painted the same color as the slats.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:26 PM
Mik3G37S

That does seem a great deal.

So what's the plan? Whole grille painted black, or just the slats? Body color on the chrome emblem... what color is that again?

Remember, the logo has a surface and sides. You're going to want the sides painted the same color as the slats.
Whole grille painted gloss black and the emblem matched to my graphite shadow, yeah the guy I spoke with he has done a g37 before and knows as well as I know and I told him I want the surface body color matched (graphite shadow) and the sides gloss black as the rest of the grille , he complied very well and said that first they would paint the whole logo body color and then mask it off and paint the sides gloss black I'm excited

That's a good price Mike, looking forward to seeing the final product. I'm still on the fence about mine. I can cover the chip but I'm wondering what a mesh grille would look like. I did decide to get my calipers done. Hopefully by late January they'll be done. I have a feeling people are either going to love them or hate them.
Yes I am looking forward to it too ! Calipers ? Nice ! I Can't wait to get mine done eventually, probably something like lambo yellow/gold or lambo orange
Old 12-28-2013, 02:27 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts

Very true, only the chrome looks good covering the entire emblem, if you color the whole emblem it'll look cheap
How do I know? Well~

Compared to just the emblem face~

Agree about the price quote, seems very reasonable, look forward to pics.
Mik3G37S (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 02:30 PM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by blnewt
Very true, only the chrome looks good covering the entire emblem, if you color the whole emblem it'll look cheap
How do I know? Well~

Compared to just the emblem face~

Agree about the price quote, seems very reasonable, look forward to pics.
Exactly... well said Brad !
Old 12-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Whole grille painted gloss black and the emblem matched to my graphite shadow
That's a lot of black. Didn't want to go body-colored on the perimeter, eh? Probably double the cost... although if he's already mixing Graphite Shadow just to spray that little bit of area on the logo, hmm.

With a quality job, zero orange peel. If that's the case, it will look great, all black or otherwise.

...and they're gonna take off the grill and remove the plastidip for additional 20$
It was only a matter of time before someone started offering PlastiDip Removal services. None too soon, if you ask me.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-28-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:10 PM
Mik3G37S

That's a lot of black. Didn't want to go body-colored on the perimeter, eh? Probably double the cost... although if he's already mixing Graphite Shadow just to spray that little bit of area on the logo, hmm.

With a quality job, zero orange peel. If that's the case, it will look great, all black or otherwise.

It was only a matter of time before someone started offering PlastiDip Removal services. None too soon, if you ask me.
I'm not saying I dont like how it looks body-colored on the perimeter (have seen a picture on here of someones graphite shadow with a grille done that way) and it looks good but then like someone else has stated somewhere here before ,the front end will loose its sporty appearance of the pretty big and sharp, curvy grille that way the grille would look smaller and would lose its appearance, and its more expensive to get done....

I have seen another picture somewhere around here in the forums (maybe several pages back in this thread) with the grille all gloss black on a graphite shadow sedan with chrome emblem and I loved it so that's the way I'm gonna go except logo body colored instead chrome
Old 12-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

As long as it's professionally painted, it will look good.

Pretty sure I've seen that GS pic, too, somewhere. Beautiful, IMO. But I won't deny where you're going with the idea that it makes the grille "smaller" in some sense. Particularly from a distance, when you can't make out the outline between the grille and the bumper. However, once you get close enough to see that outline, it looks fantastic.
Mik3G37S (12-28-2013)

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread