G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 01:03 PM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
From what I've read, you need two people. One with a long set of pipe wrench pliers under the shift boot, firmly gripping the shaft (and lined with a rubber strip so as to not damage the shaft with the teeth of the pipe wrench.) That wrench stays in place... no twisting! The second person uses a rubber strap-wrench on the ****, and turns it counter-clockwise, breaking the lock-tite seal.

I asked my dealership about it, and their techs told me they don't guarantee removal without destroying the ****.

I don't happen to have either of those tools, which is why I'll probably have my mechanic do it. Or I might just buy them at SEARS someday, and ask a friend for assistance. Never really needed either wrench my entire life, until this moment, so... I don't know.
I would be willing to help if you an extra pair of hands.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by Choman
I would be willing to help if you an extra pair of hands.
We could try it out on your car, first. Great idea!
Old 12-27-2013, 02:22 PM
aktif8

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
I was able to get the section under the shifter to pop "right out" by digging my fingers in and pulling up. In the front though under the climate control there is a small piece which appears to be a finisher piece that has me a little concerned. It looks and feels like it needs to come out in order to get the complete shifter section up and out to where I can start unclipping things but, as you mentioned, it looks and feels so brittle I'm concerned about snapping it. I read the FSM and it seemed to say, just take it off. I'll try again when I'm not sitting in the dark, maybe I'm just missing something.

I looked at that piece that was giving you a hassle. That might be the piece that keeps my wood trim in place!

I've had my entire console out at least 5 times - that finisher piece really does just pop right off. As you pull off the shift trim, it will come right off with it. There's not an easy way to get it off first - just pop it off with the shift trim. After that, the console literally takes 5 minutes to fully disassemble.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:51 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by aktif8
I've had my entire console out at least 5 times - that finisher piece really does just pop right off. As you pull off the shift trim, it will come right off with it. There's not an easy way to get it off first - just pop it off with the shift trim. After that, the console literally takes 5 minutes to fully disassemble.
This piece right here? Mine seems to be welded in... Or I just haven't gotten the correct angle on it yet.
Name:  photo2_zps8e446be5.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  585.3 KB

I did get this far though I still need to dremel in the slots for the clip
Name:  photo3_zps65aafe4e.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  524.0 KB
Old 12-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Quick question... are all the exhaust flange gaskets on a sedan the same from cats all the way back ? just trying to make sure before I order them
Old 12-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Mik3G37S

Here's a good question for all the 6MT owners in this thread.

Since the cats are on order, and I'll be buying a pair of PSS for the fronts to match last year's rear tires, that gives me some slack for about $500 of additional mods in 2014. I think it will be one of these two options, both of which cost around $200 - $250 plus two or three hours labor at my mechanic.
  1. Stillen Short Throw Shifter
  2. RJM Clutch Pedal Assembly

Which would you do first?
What's the point of STS, I mean I get it, shorter shifter and all, but it's NOT like our OEM shifters ARE NOT short already, and gears are really positioned well very close to each other, I heard that Short Throw Shifters cause trannys to wear out quicker or have some bad effect on it , correct me if im wrong

On the side note, I got my Front Continental DWS's installed yesterday to complete the all around setup and also got an aligment done ( happened to be a friend of mine) and turns out he couldn't really set the camber right due to non adjustable upper control arms, which kinda disappointed me that, it's not possible to be done on OEM upper control arms, instead just gotta get aftermarket ones in order to set camber right:/ and speaking of the gears and all, he test drove it after alignment, was pretty excited ( he used to have an Evo X) surprised how the gears are so close to each other and the clutch engagement point (Softer clutch spring) is great on that car
Old 12-27-2013, 03:26 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
What's the point of STS, I mean I get it, shorter shifter and all, but it's NOT like our OEM shifters ARE NOT short already, and gears are really positioned well very close to each other
I wouldn't call this shifter setup "short" in the G. Better than some, but it could be tighter.

Hmm, all I can say here is that answers to your questions are self-evident when you've driven a car before & after with a Short Throw Shifter. It's better. Just is.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Mik3G37S

I wouldn't call this shifter setup "short" in the G. Better than some, but it could be tighter.

Hmm, all I can say here is that answers to your questions are self-evident when you've driven a car before & after with a Short Throw Shifter. It's better. Just is.
I see, well get that and also the RJM pedal assembly, let me know once you get both, then we need to meet up and I would love to check these two mods out first before deciding if I would like either on my car
Old 12-27-2013, 03:45 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 508 Likes on 437 Posts

Pretty much what he said. I've had STS in my last 3 cars, and driven several other cars with them. In every case the STS > OEM.

That being said, I'm pretty content with the factory 'short throw shifter'. I'll probably change it out along with the shift boot at some point.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
I see, well get that and also the RJM pedal assembly, let me know once you get both, then we need to meet up and I would love to check these two mods out first before deciding if I would like either on my car
If my mod schedule matches this hypothetical meet up, you're certainly welcome to check out whatever I have at the time. That's the nature of meet-ups, the opportunity to review things that other people have done or done differently. Hopefully, with some measure of patience and respect.

That said, I mod my car slowly, so if I were you I wouldn't hold my breath.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
That being said, I'm pretty content with the factory 'short throw shifter'.
Agreed. It's really not bad as is. Could be better, is all.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:04 PM
Mik3G37S

If my mod schedule matches this hypothetical meet up, you're certainly welcome to check out whatever I have at the time. That's the nature of meet-ups, the opportunity to review things that other people have done or done differently. Hopefully, with some measure of patience and respect.

That said, I mod my car slowly, so if I were you I wouldn't hold my breath.

Agreed. It's really not bad as is. Could be better, is all.
Yeah well I'd certainly wait till you get these two mods done as I'm interested what the outcome would be, not really rushing to get either one done, because I dont know what the difference would be like, that being said, no rush on my side hence the fact OEM is good but could be better , when you get it done you get it done, unless I get to experience the differences before you get them done and If they make that much of a difference then eventually I'd get these two done
Old 12-27-2013, 04:37 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
This piece right here? Mine seems to be welded in... Or I just haven't gotten the correct angle on it yet.

I did get this far though I still need to dremel in the slots for the clip
This is from that DIY that I linked, I pretty much just followed his tips and it worked but like you've noticed it takes a bit of motivation to get it free.
Name:  TRIM4.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  125.9 KB
Old 12-27-2013, 05:01 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
To those of you thy purchased and installed FI RHFCs, wondering if your sets have Fast Intentions pressed in on the resonators?

The set I got from a forum member doesn't have this, and the only other two sets I've seen has "Fast Intentions" pressed into the resonator portion of the pipe. Did I get a fake set? Or did they start doing this on their pipes...? Hopefully someone has some information on this.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:11 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
This is from that DIY that I linked, I pretty much just followed his tips and it worked but like you've noticed it takes a bit of motivation to get it free.
Thank you Brad, I'll try it again. I glanced through that but was actually somewhat busy at work today. Usually a slow week but no such luck today, or I'm just catching up. Looks like it will be nice tomorrow so I'm going to plan on trying to catch up on some odds and ends I've been wanting to get done.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:14 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by connoisseurr
To those of you thy purchased and installed FI RHFCs, wondering if your sets have Fast Intentions pressed in on the resonators?

The set I got from a forum member doesn't have this, and the only other two sets I've seen has "Fast Intentions" pressed into the resonator portion of the pipe. Did I get a fake set? Or did they start doing this on their pipes...? Hopefully someone has some information on this.
Mine did not. I haven't uploaded the pics to photobucket so I can't post them right now but if you need me to I will.
The following users liked this post:
connoisseurr (12-27-2013)

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread