G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 05:59 PM
doublea88
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
Well I finally finished installing my intakes and what a pain in the A** that was. First the filters weren't staying snug until I used alcohol wipes on the insert of the filters,. Since I have an 08 sedan, I think the intake tubes to the resistors are different the n newer models and made it complicated with routing the the tubes from pipe to engine. I also dropped the hose clamp for one side and couldn't get it out. Then, I couldn't mount the filter housings to the side brackets because of fitment with the tubes. But I was finally done , and I go close the hood and its resting on the filter housings

This is all with me trying to get the car back up to pick up my daughter from pre k. I ended up going commando (thx john) and was able to close the hood easily.

It terms of sound, I honestly didn't hear a difference at all or maybe my topspeed exhaust is tuning it out. It sure looks so much better
Attached Thumbnails Sedan Chat Thread-image.jpg  
Old 03-12-2015, 06:02 PM
nishfish871

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
Nish, do you have the Akebono brakes? It should fit. Tire calculator says you'll have 8.65mm more of inner clearance and the outer position will extend by 21.35mm, which should be pretty flush with the fender. I assumed the stock measurements of the sport wheel and 19x8 +35 offset with a 245/40-19 tire.
Yes, checked with RavSpec to see if the Weds Sport SA55M in 19x8 et35 will work. Sounds like it should fit based off the spokes. Looking to pick these guys up and have them repowdered, maybe Super Black Chrome:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261777129023?_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 03-12-2015, 06:43 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

That's Connor's gig this year. Wherever it is, I'll very likely be there.
I see, I'd like to say the same, look forward to some updates about the meet up.

Originally Posted by twin_snails

Mike, I forgot to add that you had very nice control when kicking the rear out in that snow. Were you feathering the clutch or did you just have crazy good throttle control?

Thank you, been practicing kicking it sideways since I got my license with any car I could in snow, which would be about 6 years now.

In all honesty, there was no clutch involved in the video when going sideways, only when upshifting or downshifting, but the whole drive through the park was and had to be in 3rd gear and needed some speed( it was between 30-40mph) to take the entire long curves sideways, so yeah I guess you can call it a good throttle control.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (03-16-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 07:26 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by doublea88
Well I finally finished installing my intakes and what a pain in the A** that was. First the filters weren't staying snug until I used alcohol wipes on the insert of the filters,. Since I have an 08 sedan, I think the intake tubes to the resistors are different the n newer models and made it complicated with routing the the tubes from pipe to engine. I also dropped the hose clamp for one side and couldn't get it out. Then, I couldn't mount the filter housings to the side brackets because of fitment with the tubes. But I was finally done , and I go close the hood and its resting on the filter housings

This is all with me trying to get the car back up to pick up my daughter from pre k. I ended up going commando (thx john) and was able to close the hood easily.

It terms of sound, I honestly didn't hear a difference at all or maybe my topspeed exhaust is tuning it out. It sure looks so much better
Wait, you have a loose hose clamp rattling around on the lower engine shield? LOLOL

I quite literally installed & uninstalled mine numerous times before settling in on final fitment. In fact, just like last spring, I'll be removing it again soon to do a clean-up, some touch-up paint on the heat shields, and re-fitment of the couplers. But to your install problems... this isn't an intake kit that just snaps in place. It requires some patience and critical thinking. All of which is a tall order when you're pressed for time and sunlight.

I'm shocked you're not hearing the intake. As you said, the TopSpeed exhaust comes into play, but at WOT you have to be hearing it.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:37 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
I'm with John, I took it on and off at least four times before I was happy with it. And will have to do so again when I get some time. Need to swap out the hardware here and there and want to finally get to painting some eyesore parts.

I can't hear mine anymore either, not with with exhaust. Even more so now with the m370. I was a bit surprised
Old 03-12-2015, 07:48 PM
doublea88
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
lol yea unfortunately i forgot to remove the clamp from the plastic opening of the hose and figured it would be snug but it fell. (it took me 10 min to realize what i was missing until i noticed the clamp was no longer there). Now that i installed it, i can definitely disassemble and re install with ease, it was just hard the first time around.

For the sound, i haven't really driven it hard yet as i finished the install and only went to pick up my daughter. Will be testing it tomorrow to see if i can hear it.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:31 PM
IEMaestro
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi guys, quick question concerning motor oil level. I recently changed the oil in my car, and the oil level is right at the H. Is this cause for concern? Should I drain and refill? Or is it ok? Tia!
Old 03-14-2015, 05:01 PM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by IEMaestro
Hi guys, quick question concerning motor oil level. I recently changed the oil in my car, and the oil level is right at the H. Is this cause for concern? Should I drain and refill? Or is it ok? Tia!
I think if it was right at the L then it would be a cause for concern.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:40 PM
IEMaestro
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
I think if it was right at the L then it would be a cause for concern.
Good to know. Thanks Mike!
Old 03-14-2015, 09:39 PM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by IEMaestro
Good to know. Thanks Mike!
very welcome !

Anyone who needs tires at better prices than tirerack?

Just bought two rear Michelin PSS for about $40 a piece cheaper than tirerack , shipping was a bit more expensive , given it's shipping from Cali, but still saved $50 versus tirerack coming out to $488 total.

So it's safe to assume that people close to Cali or in Cali close to discountedwheelwarehouse can get an even better deal considering,that shipping will be less

Michelin Tires Pilot Super Sport 245/40ZR19 98Y XL BSW

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....SSXL&tab=Sizes

Hope someone else on here can take advantage of this as well

Last edited by Mik3G37S; 03-14-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:09 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Good looks on the tire link. The source I use mostly is tread depot. I know a lot of you are Michelin fans however I've had the Kumho LX Platinums mounted for about 15k miles and the wear is unbelievable. No signs of uneven wear. The rating is 600 - definitely living up to that number thus far.

I have them mounted on the coupe sport wheels with zero rotations. I am very pleased.

I'm waiting for another rebate offer to come around. I'll buy another set for when I get summer wheels.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:07 AM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by connoisseurr
Good looks on the tire link. The source I use mostly is tread depot. I know a lot of you are Michelin fans however I've had the Kumho LX Platinums mounted for about 15k miles and the wear is unbelievable. No signs of uneven wear. The rating is 600 - definitely living up to that number thus far.

I have them mounted on the coupe sport wheels with zero rotations. I am very pleased.

I'm waiting for another rebate offer to come around. I'll buy another set for when I get summer wheels.
No problem, I keep hearing these are the stickiest street tires one can get out there, so I definitely want to give them a try, and given I like to take turns fast and spirited driving around mountains as well,I want to give them a try, also given the fact they're lighter by few pounds, one thing that John got stuck in my head about those tires after repeatedly mentioning the weight advantage

The rating on these is 300 but obviously it's because it's a max performance summer tire and not a grand touring all-season. It's still a lot better than the OEM RE050a which are at 140 and I bet are not nearly as sticky as PSS.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:28 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
One thing to consider when contemplating the almighy PSS is if you like to get tail happy and swing it out from time to time on turns it's a bit harder to do because of the grip.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:25 AM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
One thing to consider when contemplating the almighy PSS is if you like to get tail happy and swing it out from time to time on turns it's a bit harder to do because of the grip.
That's true, but I don't really do that in summer to save the tire tread, summer is all about good grip around turns. I'm finally gonna get swaybars soon so that definitely will be fun
Old 03-16-2015, 01:15 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts
You know I've never used them before, discountedwheelwarehouse, but I have heard they do have great prices but on the same note I have heard from some local guys that they do not stock very many tires at there local warehouse. Apparently the have the tire manufacturer drop ship the tires for them? I'll have to swing by there place to see what they stock and see what they are all about.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread