G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 10:01 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
That makes sense, thank you. I was looking for some other parts but I can see their point. I'll think about trying again but I need to pay some things off and rebuild the bank accounts first.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:04 AM
djdiskino

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Totally off-topic but I am working on a pair of 2011 Sedan Headlights at the moment. Wondering if people are painting the reflector of the turn signal. All the pictures I see from OneEighty's designed lights it looks like they blacked out that inner reflector bowl but I can't tell for sure or if the picture is just dark.

My best guess is no, and the pictures are making it dark - just looking for some confirmation.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:46 AM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by djdiskino
Totally off-topic but I am working on a pair of 2011 Sedan Headlights at the moment. Wondering if people are painting the reflector of the turn signal. All the pictures I see from OneEighty's designed lights it looks like they blacked out that inner reflector bowl but I can't tell for sure or if the picture is just dark.

My best guess is no, and the pictures are making it dark - just looking for some confirmation.
I have seen both but more unpainted than painted. The problem with painting the reflectors is that it obviously won't be as reflective if you can live with that then yes if not then I d leave them
Old 02-19-2015, 11:58 AM
djdiskino

Originally Posted by ChinkyChoy
I have seen both but more unpainted than painted. The problem with painting the reflectors is that it obviously won't be as reflective if you can live with that then yes if not then I d leave them
Thanks for the quick response bud. I am on the fence at the moment. I don't want to be able to see any chrome on the painted headlights - they are going to be black with gloss projector shrouds and tinted reflectors/lenses. The only snag I am on is this turn-signal housing/dish/reflector whatever you want to call it.

Wondering if anyone has any pictures of a 2011+ headlight with the bowl unpainted somewhere against a black housing. I feel like I have searched the whole internet
Old 02-19-2015, 12:08 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by djdiskino
Thanks for the quick response bud. I am on the fence at the moment. I don't want to be able to see any chrome on the painted headlights - they are going to be black with gloss projector shrouds and tinted reflectors/lenses. The only snag I am on is this turn-signal housing/dish/reflector whatever you want to call it.

Wondering if anyone has any pictures of a 2011+ headlight with the bowl unpainted somewhere against a black housing. I feel like I have searched the whole internet
I did not paint the turn signal reflectors

The following 2 users liked this post by ttv36:
djdiskino (02-19-2015), ZOSTER33 (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 12:21 PM
djdiskino

beautiful @tonyHTX - just what I was looking for! Nice job - sold me on not painting the reflectors, looks great!

Nice detail on the Projector Shroud - did you leave the the chrome piece under the side marker lights untouched as well?
Old 02-19-2015, 12:33 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Yeah I only painted the housing, side reflectors, and shrouds.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:36 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts
Those headlights are beautiful Tony who did that headlight conversion for you?

That's the Panamera shroud right??
Old 02-19-2015, 02:12 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

^ I did the headlights myself, if you look at my build thread everything is in there.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:16 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
thought I'd share my thoughts on my Michelin PSS...its in the mid 30's today.....theres a nice sharp left that I take off the interstate here to work every morning and always have a good time pushing it thru every morning....well it being so cold out I fig why not see what the summer tires can do....for it being so cold and me only having about a 5 min drive to work...they still stuck this morning...they only broke lose for a couple secs but quickly regained grip. Needless to say these tires are impressive regardless of weather condition IMO
Old 02-20-2015, 11:22 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 508 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
thought I'd share my thoughts on my Michelin PSS...its in the mid 30's today.....theres a nice sharp left that I take off the interstate here to work every morning and always have a good time pushing it thru every morning....well it being so cold out I fig why not see what the summer tires can do....for it being so cold and me only having about a 5 min drive to work...they still stuck this morning...they only broke lose for a couple secs but quickly regained grip. Needless to say these tires are impressive regardless of weather condition IMO
It's been in the low teens when I leave for work and my PSS have been fine. I've found thst as long as I dont go WOT in 1st they're ok. I haven't done any aggressive cornering though.

We got 1/3" of ice/freezing rain on Tuesday and I worked from home. And with no nanny, I didn't get much work done, but I enjoyed a snow day with the family
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (02-24-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 11:31 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
We got 1/3" of ice/freezing rain on Tuesday and I worked from home. And with no nanny, I didn't get much work done, but I enjoyed a snow day with the family
I hear that. Kids are home from school all week and bugging the living **** out of me, wife is away at work herself, 3 home contractors are gutting my kitchen for a full renovation (bang bang bang), and I'm trying to work here in my office. It's not easy.

First World Problems.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:09 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
It's been in the low teens when I leave for work and my PSS have been fine. I've found thst as long as I dont go WOT in 1st they're ok. I haven't done any aggressive cornering though.

Being in the Charlotte area, I was just thinking what it would be like to have summer tires on my car year round...and with the summer rubber compound, how the cold (not even ice or snow...just the cold weather) affects summer tires.

Just wondering if I should run two sets of tires like the folks up north do. Summer tires 9 months a year, and all-season (instead of winter) for 3 months.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:48 PM
Sir Orange Alot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
over on the west coast, we are enjoying spring/summer temps and doing lots of aggressive driving.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:50 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 508 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
Being in the Charlotte area, I was just thinking what it would be like to have summer tires on my car year round...and with the summer rubber compound, how the cold (not even ice or snow...just the cold weather) affects summer tires.
When it's cold like it has been this week, they are a little loose, but not at all what I consider dangerous. My car is garage kept, so my tires aren't as cold as if they were sitting outside. I also don't push the car in turns, but as long as I'm above ~30mph, I have no traction issues. And I commute on 485 in the AM, only 1 exit though, so ~4 miles, and again, no issue.

I've been running summer compound tires year round since 2011, although that winter was with my previous car, AWD Legacy GT.

I think with an AWD car you would be a little better off than a RWD car. But you know your work/personal requirements. Having the flexibility to work from home, or leave in the event of a storm, as well as having a AWD SUV as backup makes it an easy decision for me.

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
Just wondering if I should run two sets of tires like the folks up north do. Summer tires 9 months a year, and all-season (instead of winter) for 3 months.
That would be better than all season tires year round

But seriously, when I swapped my all seasons back to summers in my LGT and before that, my Mazda 6s, in March-April, the difference was like night and day. All season tires give up soooooo much dry and wet performance to summer rubber.

While outdated, this is still a pretty good comparison of summer vs all season vs snow tires.

Tire Test: All-Season vs. Snow vs. Summer
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (02-24-2015)

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread