G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 02:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
meaning you guys gotta have everything upgraded regardless if its totally sufficient in stock form
And you got a problem with that? Mike, we upgrade lightbulbs, for crying out loud.

DOMO
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
RexHavoc (01-08-2015), twin_snails (01-09-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 03:12 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

And you got a problem with that? Mike, we upgrade lightbulbs, for crying out loud.

DOMO
Yea upgrade whatever you guys feel the need to or want to. I think genuine akebono brake pads are enough for a daily driver.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:15 PM
MADMAX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea upgrade whatever you guys feel the need to or want to. I think genuine akebono brake pads are enough for a daily driver.
I don't think i'd upgrade my pads for compromised noise and dust for a daily IMO. If it was a track vehicle then yeah. My OEM Brembo's on my STI made a TON of dust, so I swapped em out for some hawk pads for reduced dust. Stopping and brake pedal feel was just about the same.
The following users liked this post:
Mik3G37S (01-08-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 03:18 PM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by MADMAX

I don't think i'd upgrade my pads for compromised noise and dust for a daily IMO. If it was a track vehicle then yeah. My OEM Brembo's on my STI made a TON of dust, so I swapped em out for some hawk pads for reduced dust. Stopping and brake pedal feel was just about the same.
Exactly... Thank you..
Old 01-08-2015, 06:11 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Because all the pads that people claim to be better and **** are either squeaky or produce way too much dust or are too rigid for oem rotors and then wear out those quicker than the pads themselves, which then would require upgraded rotors and what the hell am I gonna do that for? I think oem bbk with oem pads breaks totally fine. I think it's the mod illness talking through you guys, meaning you guys gotta have everything upgraded regardless if its totally sufficient in stock form, unless you track the car.
Look at your signature dude, it's full of mods. Aren't you the guy who wants a CTS-V? What do you need 556 HP for if you don't track the car or drive aggrgessively

Unless there are OEM-ish brake pads that won't squek and won't produce more break dust and will actually make a difference in braking performance for similar price as OEM sport akebono pads then it's a different story.
Brakes, not breaks Upgraded rotors? No offense, but it sounds like you don't know much about brakes

You know there is an optional OEM pad, right? Standard on the NISMO 370 and IPL. I've posted the link like a dozen times where car and driver shaved a full car length from the 370Z stopping distance, but I'll go ahead and post it again:

Z Meets Wall: We Investigate Why the NISMO Z's Brakes Failed at Lightning Lap - Feature - Car and Driver

Cliff notes:

Stock: Stopping distances from 100 mph worsened from about 325 feet to nearly 500.

By the end of the fourth cycle (or 20 stops), braking distances stretched to more than 1000 feet

NISMO: These brakes had noticeably more bite—initial stopping distances were about 10 feet shorter than with the base pads

And: the upgraded pads endured roughly a dozen more stops than could the base pads and were extremely consistent—the Z’s 20th stop took 318 feet, almost exactly the same as the first one.

I replaced my OE pads with the R-Specs at around 200 miles because I got them for $100. They don't make any noise, and the dust isn't excessive.

You don't have to track your car to notice things like pedal feel, fade resistance and shorter stopping distances. But do whatever you want
Old 01-08-2015, 06:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
No offense, but it sounds like you don't know much about brakes
Hey, be nice to Mike. If you make him cry, I swear I'm going to be really put out.

Fact is, you're both right. It's inconsistent behavior for any one of us not to upgrade something, given the opportunity. But it's also Mike's choice not to do so. Modding a car under the rationale of automotive values are more what you call guidelines, than actual rules.

The following 3 users liked this post by Rochester:
Mik3G37S (01-08-2015), Motoboat (01-08-2015), twin_snails (01-09-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 06:22 PM
Mik3G37S

Look at your signature dude, it's full of mods. Aren't you the guy who wants a CTS-V? What do you need 556 HP for if you don't track the car or drive aggrgessively

Brakes, not breaks Upgraded rotors? No offense, but it sounds like you don't know much about brakes

You know there is an optional OEM pad, right? Standard on the NISMO 370 and IPL. I've posted the link like a dozen times where car and driver shaved a full car length from the 370Z stopping distance, but I'll go ahead and post it again:

Z Meets Wall: We Investigate Why the NISMO Z's Brakes Failed at Lightning Lap - Feature - Car and Driver

Cliff notes:

Stock: Stopping distances from 100 mph worsened from about 325 feet to nearly 500.

By the end of the fourth cycle (or 20 stops), braking distances stretched to more than 1000 feet

NISMO: These brakes had noticeably more bite—initial stopping distances were about 10 feet shorter than with the base pads

And: the upgraded pads endured roughly a dozen more stops than could the base pads and were extremely consistent—the Z’s 20th stop took 318 feet, almost exactly the same as the first one.

I replaced my OE pads with the R-Specs at around 200 miles because I got them for $100. They don't make any noise, and the dust isn't excessive.

You don't have to track your car to notice things like pedal feel, fade resistance and shorter stopping distances. But do whatever you want

Right. Bust my ***** for a god damn typo. Yup I don't know anything about brakes, and neither does my older brother who is a mechanic and knows his shiite inside out and looks out for my best interest, although it seems like there's a lot of forum users who appear to know every single thing in the best way possible.

Speaking of that Optional OEM pad, see that's it, I may get those depending on pricing. I just need to find out what's the best place to get those and possible part #s

I don't think my signature is anywhere close being full of mods... just a few, and well that was then, now it's different, nomore unnecessary expenses.

I have seen that link you posted few times, but it's impossible to remember everything that has been posted a while back.
So to my understanding, those R-specs are the optional OE pads used on IPL and Nismo? ok where, and how much?

Last edited by blnewt; 01-08-2015 at 09:54 PM. Reason: No F bombs
Old 01-08-2015, 06:37 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Right. Bust my ***** for a god damn typo. Yup I don't know anything about brakes, and neither does my older brother who is a mechanic and knows his shiite inside out and looks out for my best interest, although it seems like there's a lot of forum users who appear to know every single thing in the best way possible.
Well, it was an easy in to bust your ***** for a typo you made multiple times

IDK what your older brothers qualifications are, but marginally more aggressive pads will not require a rotor upgrade. Our OE rotors are plenty adequate. Go troll the 370Z forum, lots of guys use plain old Auto Zone blanks and swap them out regularly.

If by upgrade rotors, you mean drilled and slotted, then whoever told you that has no idea what they are talking about.

Speaking of that Optional OEM pad, see that's it, I may get those depending on pricing. I just need to find out what's the best place to get those and possible part #s

I don't think my signature is anywhere close being full of mods... just a few, and well that was then, now it's different, nomore unnecessary expenses.

I have seen that link you posted few times, but If I memorized everything anyone posts, that'd be a catastrophe
So to my understanding, those R-specs are the optional OE pads used on IPL and Nismo? ok where, and how much?
I got them from my dealer when I bought my car. They quoted me $100 each front and rear and we split the difference. IDK where you can get them, but others have posted paying similar amounts.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:39 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Hey, be nice to Mike. If you make him cry, I swear I'm going to be really put out.
I read that as

Hey, be nice to Mike. If you make him cry, I swear I'm going to really put out.
It kinda creeped me out
Old 01-08-2015, 06:42 PM
Mik3G37S

I got them from my dealer when I bought my car. They quoted me $100 each front and rear and we split the difference. IDK where you can get them, but others have posted paying similar amounts.
Well that's the thing, I'm trying to find out more about those but not many people know about the optional R-spec brake pads for our cars, those will definitely suffice. I gotta look around.

EDIT:

is that it?

http://www.infinitipartsusa.com/2012...60jl051-59.htm
Old 01-08-2015, 07:25 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Changing the subject...

How difficult is it to install rear dampening adapters so you can adjust it from the trunk or cabin? Lego you had that done with your coilovers right?
Old 01-08-2015, 08:14 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Yup, that's them.

Originally Posted by '11G37S
Changing the subject...

How difficult is it to install rear dampening adapters so you can adjust it from the trunk or cabin? Lego you had that done with your coilovers right?
I don't have coilovers, just adjustable shocks...but I've seen the contraption you mention, I think it's popular in the Subaru world.

I've adjusted my rears once, on the car, and it was a b*tch. I'm pretty dialed in, enough to be extremely happy with my setup. I might back the fronts off a 1/2 turn, as they seem a little harsh now that the weather has gotten cold.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

^^^
I've seen it too, where the flexible adjustment cables are sticking out of the corners of the back seats. I don't suspect the applicability is universal, and likely specific to whatever dampers you have.

So... start with your manufacturer.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:53 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
RSR has a set for my coilovers, but I wasn't sure how difficult the install is for them. Lately I've been playing around with the 36 levels of dampening in the front and want to in the rear but I don't want to have to take the coils out to do so.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:22 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 255 Posts
Unless there are OEM-ish brake pads that won't squek and won't produce more break dust and will actually make a difference in braking performance for similar price as OEM sport akebono pads then it's a different story.
Agreed, just give me a brake pad with equivalent perf (including low dust & noise like OEM), any time I ever "upgraded" the brakes, any change to performance was negligible and introduced headaches (squeaks, dust)
The following users liked this post:
Mik3G37S (01-08-2015)

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread