G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 11:01 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 178 Likes on 117 Posts
For any of my fellow physics nerds out there, this article is an interesting read on the science behind exhaust tone. Ever wondered why two V6's can sound so different? Well here's the explanation.

This Is Why Various Engine Types Sound So Different ? Feature ? Car and Driver
Old 01-04-2015, 11:48 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by conquistador
Had the same issue with just Berks and Tanabe axle back. It was a high pitched pinging raspy sound coming from the center... Embarrassing to say the least. So I bought a catback and upon installing I noticed some pebbles stuck between the center heat shield and the body. The noise is all be eliminated. Is it safe to remove heat shields above mufflers and mid pipe?
Originally Posted by twin_snails
Connor, does it sound like a pinging noise by chance? I'm experiencing that but only when I'm really getting on it...probably 70% throttle. It sounds like ball bearings in the cats or something metal reverberating like a heat shield somewhere. Need to have that checked out.
No pinging, just rattling and it only exists around the 3k mark. It's definitely from the vibrations the exhaust system produces at that RPM range. I'll look for any pebbles between the center shield and the body of the car.

On a side note, did anyone replace their rubber exhaust hangers when an aftermarket system was installed? When I installed my FI system, I reused the OEM rubber exhaust hangers. Wondering if those need to be switched to a stiffer, or newer hanger.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:52 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 178 Likes on 117 Posts
Ah ok...yeah, I'm not sure what to think on that...but I don't really have anywhere like the stock getup has where pebbles could get stuck. At any rate, it's time to get it on the lift if nothing else to check all the bolts for tightness. AFAIK, there aren't any aftermarket rubber or polyurethane hangers for our car. I just reused the stock units.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:06 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Originally Posted by twin_snails
Ah ok...yeah, I'm not sure what to think on that...but I don't really have anywhere like the stock getup has where pebbles could get stuck. At any rate, it's time to get it on the lift if nothing else to check all the bolts for tightness. AFAIK, there aren't any aftermarket rubber or polyurethane hangers for our car. I just reused the stock units.
I'll be looking into it when I install the Z1 cats next weekend. I may also get some new hangers as the ones in the car now seem to sag a bit.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (01-05-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 06:37 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I changed my oil on Sunday. This would be the first post lowering oil change I've had to do. What a pain. Gone are the days of sliding the jack under the front cross-member and jacking the whole car up.

I started jacking up the drivers side and sliding a ramp under it, thinking maybe I would have enough room. Nope. So I did the passenger side too.

When I was done, I jacked it up a bit from the center point and lowered it onto 2x12s to drive off of. Easily added 1 beer, I mean, 30 minutes to the oil change process
Old 01-06-2015, 08:17 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I changed my oil on Sunday. This would be the first post lowering oil change I've had to do. What a pain. Gone are the days of sliding the jack under the front cross-member and jacking the whole car up.

I started jacking up the drivers side and sliding a ramp under it, thinking maybe I would have enough room. Nope. So I did the passenger side too.

When I was done, I jacked it up a bit from the center point and lowered it onto 2x12s to drive off of. Easily added 1 beer, I mean, 30 minutes to the oil change process
Do you think Rhino Ramps would have fit? Those are my go-to for raising the front end provided I'm not removing a tire.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:37 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
Do you think Rhino Ramps would have fit? Those are my go-to for raising the front end provided I'm not removing a tire.
Rhino Ramps is just a brand, there are a number of different models, all increasingly more expensive (!!) the more accommodating they are to lowered cars and wide tires.

After I lowered the car, the only way I can get the front end up on ramps is to first drive it up on a 6 foot length of 1x12 board. However, my rear tires are too wide for these ramps.

The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (01-07-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 08:37 AM
G37Xtreme

Originally Posted by Rochester
Dust shields behind the calipers can make all kinds of weird resonant noises when compromised. Worth a look.

No. Most aftermarket exhausts for this car have 2.5" pipes. And the OEM exhaust on the Coupe is closer to 2.5" than 2.25", IIRC. The wider pipes should (hope) give a deeper tone, and likely a few extra HP when tuned; but it also introduces in-cabin drone... hence the resonated cats, and 18" resonators on the catback; (knock on wood).

It's all pretty subjective, G37Xtreme. And qualifying the topic as a binary choice between what is "correct" or not is over-thinking things. I mean, you're right about having a large diameter exhaust with a custom FI setup. But in the context of bolt-on mods for a NA car, the difference between 2.25" and 2.5" doesn't really matter.
I just remembered where I had read that 2.25" is more for NA and 2.5" isn't recommended for NA applications. The Fast Intentions website has this verbiage as a bullet point on their catback exhausts for the 2007+ G37 Sedans:

2.25" stainless steel tubing to keep the interior noise resonance to a minimum. 2.5" option is available at an additional charge. (Recommended ONLY for cars with forced induction.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:42 AM
G37Xtreme

Originally Posted by Rochester
After I lowered the car, the only way I can get the front end up on ramps is to first drive it up on a 6 foot length of 1x12 board. However, my rear tires are too wide for these ramps.
I used to have those Rhino Ramps, but sold them when I got my 2012 Maxima. The 245 width tire seemed to hang over the edge a bit. A month ago, I bought the Rhino Ramps Max which has plenty of room to spare (especially since I only have 225 tires right now, but they look like they would accomodate a 265 or more). Advance Auto has aggressive online coupon codes. I bought them in the store using my phone and walked right out. I think I paid $30 for them.

I try to never pay retail anymore for anything that qualifies for their coupon codes.

EDIT:

How long did it take to get the Vossen name and logo right side up for the photoshoot?
Old 01-06-2015, 08:44 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Maybe....but, I dont drive up onto ramps. I like to work in the garage, and be able to close the door if necessary. So I back it, jack the car up, and slide in the ramps. And by ramps I mean three 2x12s bolted together.

Way back when, I watched my dad pull the family 1987 Oldsmobile Calais up onto ramps. Front wheel spun. Ramps shot out. Oldsmobile went through the back of the garage. Ive always been leery of ramps since then
Old 01-06-2015, 08:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

How long did it take to get the Vossen name and logo right side up for the photoshoot?
Haha, wow. Look at that.

Total coincidence. However, if I had thought of it at the time, I probably would have tried to line up the logo and happily owned up to it. But no, that was just a photo of opportunity last time I ran the car up on ramps.

I really would like a better set of ramps. Someday, I'm sure.

http://www.raceramps.com/car-service-ramps.aspx

The least-expensive, two-piece model is their 56" length, at $240. Wait, actually, that's not that crazy. I think these just went on my list.

http://www.raceramps.com/2-piece-56-...ice-ramps.aspx

Last edited by Rochester; 01-06-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:16 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Race ramps are great but damn expensive. I love how you can detach the ramp when the car is in place for more clearance under said car when working.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:24 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Race ramps are great but damn expensive. I love how you can detach the ramp when the car is in place for more clearance under said car when working.
That two-piece design is pretty cool. Given your auto history, wide high-end ramps were more of a requirement than a luxury.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:09 AM
esther

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow..what a popular thread.
I know you all are G37 sedan users, but if anyone has knowledge of the G37 Coupe & battery issues..please leave some input @ https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...-problems.html

I just posted and would really appreciate any feedback..because I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.

thannks
Old 01-06-2015, 11:42 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

It's a great snowy day in Northern Virginia. Measured 4" on my deck. Attempted to get to work today however too many people trying to get around so I turned back.

Sedan Chat Thread-image-3759200734.jpg

Last edited by connoisseurr; 01-06-2015 at 01:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread