G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 10:46 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
What are the benefits of the Stoptech or Wilwood calipers over the OE Akebonos?

It would seem that if you are looking for a functional upgrade, something with 6 piston front and 4 piston rears would be the way to go.
Not much besides better heat dissipation. If you're a track rat then obviously the benefit would be warranted, but with just occasional light track duty you'd most likely be better off just upgrading your pads, fluid, and switching to stainless lines (optional).
Old 11-29-2014, 11:11 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,646 Likes on 3,476 Posts
Originally Posted by '11G37S
Agreed. They're really good looking, but was just quoted $4800 for front and rear calipers, so for now I think I'll pass.
Yikes. That's a lot for brakes on a DD.

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Not much besides better heat dissipation. If you're a track rat then obviously the benefit would be warranted, but with just occasional light track duty you'd most likely be better off just upgrading your pads, fluid, and switching to stainless lines (optional).
About to write something similar. I'm convinced the Akebono BBK is purely bragging rights and bling. But for OEM brakes, they sure are attractive... huge vented rotors on the front and the back, smooth painted calipers, big 4-piston fronts. Very happy to have them.

Those Stop Techs are nicer looking, though. Brembo too, IMO. And Wilwoods? In the right context, but I still think the Akebono's are more appealing.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:13 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac

What are the benefits of the Stoptech or Wilwood calipers over the OE Akebonos?

It would seem that if you are looking for a functional upgrade, something with 6 piston front and 4 piston rears would be the way to go.
Well I'm not really looking for function, I don't really track my car, although I would love to if they're was a place around here that I could. Right now what I'm trying to do is figure out what I want to do mod wise. I have already made a deposit on the wheels I want, and will be buying Stoptech slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads on Tuesday and was mainly throwing the idea around about changing up the calipers too. I still really like the Stoptechs but it's not worth it to me since I don't track my G. I have coil overs on order as well, so my first plan of attack is suspension. The wheels won't go on until spring, but coil overs, slotted rotors, HPS pads, stainless steel lines (brand suggestions?), brake fluid (brand suggestions?), Hotchkiss sways, and cusco strut bar will be going on in the next month or so.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:29 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
What coilovers did you go with?

I was looking at stainless lines but wound up staying OEM, can't remember what brake fluid I used but Ill text you when I get back to TN with the brand. I went DBA over StopTech for rotors, got them on sale at about the same price.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:45 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
What coilovers did you go with?

I was looking at stainless lines but wound up staying OEM, can't remember what brake fluid I used but Ill text you when I get back to TN with the brand. I went DBA over StopTech for rotors, got them on sale at about the same price.
I ended up going with RSR sport coil overs.

Any reason why you stayed with the OE lines?

Also Chris, I should be getting my Takeda intakes this weekend so my black filters should be available as soon as I switch them out.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:04 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts

Also Chris, I should be getting my Takeda intakes this weekend so my black filters should be available as soon as I switch them out.
Stainless brake lines generally give you more bite but that's essentially it. Really not needed but for only 100 bucks why not? I opted against it and only plan on tracking twice a year.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:08 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts

Kirk,
You've sure got a big to-do list, looking forward to seeing it all come together, should be an adventure.
As far as the Wilwoods, I saw the exact set on a black Z in Vegas a couple trips ago and in person they look incredible. And another bonus is the Superlites have real thick pads (from the backing plate to the pad surface it's .8" thick) and the variety of Superlite pads is second to none, all the major pads from Hawk, EBC, Carbotech, along w/ the excellent Wilwood pad selection (they have about a dozen different types in house). Just adding my front Wilwoods has made a nice difference in braking performance (and I'm on the boat anchor OEM 14" S rotors), can't wait to get the back set up.
At any rate, you've got a lot on your plate but I'd consider them when you have the time
Old 11-29-2014, 04:20 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Those are the ones your mechanic recommended IIRC? I'm liking mine a lot but definitely went too aggressive on my drop.

The reviews and recommendations for the SS lines seemed to be all over the map to me. Some people recommended swapping them out every year etc. so far I like the bite and don't feel like I need them. Were I to start tracking then maybe but just seemed like something I didn't need and wouldn't serve a purpose at that juncture.

Sounds good, let me know. I still needs on swap the lights out on mine and decide if I'm going to mod them. Doesn't look like I'll be heading to ONEighty in December but we'll see.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:36 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Originally Posted by blnewt

Kirk,
You've sure got a big to-do list, looking forward to seeing it all come together, should be an adventure.
As far as the Wilwoods, I saw the exact set on a black Z in Vegas a couple trips ago and in person they look incredible. And another bonus is the Superlites have real thick pads (from the backing plate to the pad surface it's .8" thick) and the variety of Superlite pads is second to none, all the major pads from Hawk, EBC, Carbotech, along w/ the excellent Wilwood pad selection (they have about a dozen different types in house). Just adding my front Wilwoods has made a nice difference in braking performance (and I'm on the boat anchor OEM 14" S rotors), can't wait to get the back set up.
At any rate, you've got a lot on your plate but I'd consider them when you have the time
Thanks Brad. I have quite a few things I want to do to my G this winter. I did see some nickel plated Wilwood calipers I really liked, but I have no idea what the price would be on them. Still worth it to look into them.

Those are the ones your mechanic recommended IIRC? I'm liking mine a lot but definitely went too aggressive on my drop.

The reviews and recommendations for the SS lines seemed to be all over the map to me. Some people recommended swapping them out every year etc. so far I like the bite and don't feel like I need them. Were I to start tracking then maybe but just seemed like something I didn't need and wouldn't serve a purpose at that juncture.

Sounds good, let me know. I still needs on swap the lights out on mine and decide if I'm going to mod them. Doesn't look like I'll be heading to ONEighty in December but we'll see.
No my mechanic suggested the Tein adjustable coils.

Yeah let me know about the tail lights, we can swap before you take your jdm out to modify them.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:22 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Well I'm not really looking for function, I don't really track my car, although I would love to if they're was a place around here that I could. Right now what I'm trying to do is figure out what I want to do mod wise. I have already made a deposit on the wheels I want, and will be buying Stoptech slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads on Tuesday and was mainly throwing the idea around about changing up the calipers too. I still really like the Stoptechs but it's not worth it to me since I don't track my G. I have coil overs on order as well, so my first plan of attack is suspension. The wheels won't go on until spring, but coil overs, slotted rotors, HPS pads, stainless steel lines (brand suggestions?), brake fluid (brand suggestions?), Hotchkiss sways, and cusco strut bar will be going on in the next month or so.
I've got RacingBrake stainless brake lines and they've served me very well with no issues. I believe Z1 also makes stainless lines and price is about the same. For fluid...Motul RBF600.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:05 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

That's the fluid I went with too TS, damn this lack of memory any longer.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:07 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
That's the fluid I went with too TS, damn this lack of memory any longer.
Pretty good stuff. Dry boiling point of 594°F and 401°F wet. I don't think I'd ever see those temps on the street but it's always nice to know you have all that headroom. Here's the tech sheet if anyone's interested:

https://www.motul.com/system/product..._Line_(GB).pdf
Old 11-30-2014, 11:35 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Originally Posted by twin_snails
For fluid...Motul RBF600.
Thanks, I'll pick some up when I change out my rotors and brake pads.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:41 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Kirk I got mine from Amazon. Bought too much which wound up being enough if that makes any sense. I have one pint left someplace in the apartment. I think I may have an extra set of bleeder caps if you want them too. Later this month I'll be going through all the spare parts I have laying around and I'll let you know for sure.

BTW, really like that shot in the grille thread
Old 11-30-2014, 11:50 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Kirk I got mine from Amazon. Bought too much which wound up being enough if that makes any sense. I have one pint left someplace in the apartment. I think I may have an extra set of bleeder caps if you want them too. Later this month I'll be going through all the spare parts I have laying around and I'll let you know for sure.

BTW, really like that shot in the grille thread
Thanks Chris!

I'm hoping to do the brake swap within the next couple of weeks. I wont be doing it myself, I'll take it to a brake shop. I don't trust my mechanic enough to do it since he broke a stud and wont return my texts/calls. I wasn't too impressed with his installation with my exhaust. I just need to find a reputable place here to do the job.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread