G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 08:47 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
The only reason I'm considering end-links for next Spring is because my suspension has been lightly but consistently groaning when crawling over little bumps, like my driveway/garage. Since this started after lowering on Swifts, and taking into account that I re-lubed the swaybar bushings this Spring, I suspect it's my end-links complaining about having Eibach sways when lowered. IDK man, what do you think it is?
It might or might not be an end link. When I broke one on my Mazda 6s I heard a noise followed by a clunking sound whenever I turned. It could just as easily be your OE dampers wearing out or a rotted out rubber exhaust mount moving or who knows what else. My advice would be to actually diagnose the issue instead of throwing parts and money at it. But I think you already came to the same conclusion

Honestly, Lego, I don't know... (broken record). Having lowered the car while also using aftermarket sways, this comes under the heading of feeling like the right and responsible thing to do.
I hear ya, but at the same time, look at how many other people here and on the 370 boards are lowered and aren't experiencing problems with broken end links. If they were not $340 + installation in your case, I'd be more inclined to say go for it.

As for Black Betty... He's a good Mod on the forum, so we're lucky to have someone like that step up and be responsible. And he certainly seems more knowledgeable than most people here. However, he also dishes out heavy-handed opinions as if they were immutable facts, which is a personality trait better taken with grain of salt instead of blind faith. I suppose you could say the same thing of me, but not on the same level.

blah blah blah psychological BS, LOL
All that aside, do a thread title search for 'end-link' and 'end-links' (here and on the370.com) he is one of a few active posters who have had issues.

OK, here's my idea (du jour): instead of playing at Keyboard Mechanic, I'll let my actual mechanic assess things next Spring when he installs the cat-back and tips. I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier. That makes so much more sense.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:40 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Roger that. Good discussion and good ideas, Lego.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
teaser pick....

Name:  20141016_114040_zpskfmqqj0o.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:  20141016_114047_zps9ulzvwiy.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  54.2 KB
Old 10-16-2014, 05:53 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
I hear ya, but at the same time, look at how many other people here and on the 370 boards are lowered and aren't experiencing problems with broken end links. If they were not $340 + installation in your case, I'd be more inclined to say go for it.:
Not that y'all asked for my opinion but... In my case at least since I'm going to have the coils installed it makes sense to me to swap them out. I'm looking at it as future proofing and hopefully avoiding any issues while driving and additional downtime.

If it breaks for me I am confident it will break at speed in heavy traffic hours from home....
Old 10-16-2014, 05:57 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
Not that y'all asked for my opinion but... In my case at least since I'm going to have the coils installed it makes sense to me to swap them out. I'm looking at it as future proofing and hopefully avoiding any issues while driving and additional downtime.

If it breaks for me I am confident it will break at speed in heavy traffic hours from home....
You can still drive with a broken end link. Hell, it seems like every Mazda I'm behind has broken end links hanging down.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:32 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

You can still drive with a broken end link. Hell, it seems like every Mazda I'm behind has broken end links hanging down.
That's generally true. But you haven't experienced my luck...
Old 10-17-2014, 09:36 AM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Are end links really an issue with our cars?
The idea for switching to adjustable endlinks is to eliminate preload on the swaybar and also to replace my bad stock endlinks. If I had a stock suspension and stock swaybars then I would definitely go with the stock endlinks.

I was able to get off a little early yesterday and headed to my friend's shop to use the alignment rack and install the rear endlinks. Installing them is definitely not something easily done without a rack; to eliminate the preload the weight of the car should be on the wheels. I'm not sure how that would be possible without a rack.

All in all it should've taken about 45 minutes to do, but my clumsy self stripped one of the bolts on one of the stock endlinks. I couldn't get it off so we had to torch the endlink off.

I forgot to take pics but my friend did get this pic with the stock endlink glowing somewhere back there.

To test things out I found an empty lot and did some sliding around. There is a noticeable difference in the rear stability - not as night and day as when I first replaced the swaybars, but I can still tell when doing figure 8s. My old endlinks could easily be moved with just their own weight, it was almost like nunchucks in my hands.

I'm sure my front endlinks are just as bad. Rex got that link to the SPLs? :P

Last edited by ttv36; 10-17-2014 at 09:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 09:59 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I was under the admittedly vague impression that adjustable end-links needed to be installed on a rack, not a lift. The question I didn't know how to answer was what length adjustment to apply. Thanks for confirmation on that, Tony. Makes total sense to me now.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:29 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
For those that wondered about my MXP exhaust a while back when I got it, today I had my brother pick up my MXP Y-Pipe to complete my MXP exhaust to full CATBACK !
Installing it tomorrow, and hoping the sound will get even deeper/throatier

Also, removing my Takeda short ram intakes tomorrow as they are already sold and shipping them out, I will rock the stock ones for sometime until I get the Takeda CAIs.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:37 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
For those that wondered about my MXP exhaust a while back when I got it, today I had my brother pick up my MXP Y-Pipe to complete my MXP exhaust to full CATBACK !

Also, removing my Takeda short ram intakes tomorrow as they are already sold and shipping them out, I will rock the stock ones for sometime until I get the Takeda CAIs.
Awww-Some! Look forward to your impressions M.
The following users liked this post:
Mik3G37S (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 02:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

That's a real good looking piece of exhaust hardware.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:30 PM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by blnewt
Awww-Some! Look forward to your impressions M.
Yes,sirrr me too

That's a real good looking piece of exhaust hardware.
That's what I was thinking when my brother sent me the picture.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:42 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by tonyHTX
I'm sure my front endlinks are just as bad. Rex got that link to the SPLs? :P
SPL Endlinks INFINITI - Race Consulting Agency - PARTS | KNOWLEDGE | PASSION

That link will take you to their page but i would suggest calling and speaking with Adam (or Krystian) for the best pricing including shipping. Let him know you were talking to me (Christian) and I told you about the $210 shipped price. I'll let him know you may be calling as well, I've decided to go SPL front and rear and will be buying them today or tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S

Looking forward to hearing it Mike. What made you decide to go Takeda over Stillen?
Old 10-17-2014, 07:00 PM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by RexHavoc

SPL Endlinks INFINITI - Race Consulting Agency - PARTS | KNOWLEDGE | PASSION

That link will take you to their page but i would suggest calling and speaking with Adam (or Krystian) for the best pricing including shipping. Let him know you were talking to me (Christian) and I told you about the $210 shipped price. I'll let him know you may be calling as well, I've decided to go SPL front and rear and will be buying them today or tomorrow.

Looking forward to hearing it Mike. What made you decide to go Takeda over Stillen?
The fact it doesn't require cutting and all that and also better price and looks better how theres one longer filter in the middle behind the grille connecting two intake long tubes and the additional splash shield or whatever it's called
Old 10-17-2014, 07:41 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Looks like we'll have to find some place we can all show off our exhausts for the next meet up. I guess the park is out of the question, unless we slip the park ranger a little cash to hang out on the other side of the park.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread