G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 12:52 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I don't think I ever knew about this OEM upgrade.

When it's time for pads, I was going to go with Hawk HPS. What do you think... HPS vs. R-Spec?
I bought the NISMO pads when I ordered the BBK from Concept Z Performance. They tacked on an additional $100+ fpr the "upgrade". Honestly, I don't track my car and I don't speed around enough to really tell you if they are better or worse than the Hawke pads. I can say that they are quiet, stop my car pretty damn fast, and dust up my chrome lips with a lite grey dust each week. LOL
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (10-12-2014)
Old 10-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 508 Likes on 437 Posts

When it's time for pads, I was going to go with Hawk HPS. What do you think... HPS vs. R-Spec?
Which ever you can get a better deal on

The R-Spec pads are standard on the NISMO 370 and I think the IPL G37.
Rochester (10-12-2014)
Old 10-12-2014, 01:56 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Good enough input, guys. Thanks.

Who's doing car-**** today? This morning I ordered a pair of those silly courtesy light projectors. If they're fun, they're a keeper. If not, sell em for half. At the moment, I'm detailing the engine bay. That's always fun.

Lazy, totally carefree, sobriety-optional day.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:48 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Good enough input, guys. Thanks.

Who's doing car-**** today? This morning I ordered a pair of those silly courtesy light projectors. If they're fun, they're a keeper. If not, sell em for half. At the moment, I'm detailing the engine bay. That's always fun.

Lazy, totally carefree, sobriety-optional day.
I got new wiper blades. Goodyear, made in the USA, $4.99 each at the Costco.

PSS installed. They seem louder than the S04s, didnt really push them because its raining.

No sobriety. Because inlaws visiting.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:21 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts

Yeah I don't think I ever heard about this OEM upgrade either John... so my question remains the same as yours now, HPS vs R-Spec? I was told by few sources that Hawk HPS are very good so that's what I've been hanging on to but on the other hand I haven't heard of R-Spec

John which fluid did you use for differential , and transmission if that was you who replaced it as well, Redline or Motul?
Old 10-12-2014, 05:36 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
How do the R-spec compare to StopTech Street Performance pads?

I went from the OEM setup to StopTech pads + Slotted Rotors on the front. The StopTechs pads have more bite when you get into them hard and dust a lot more. For non-aggressive driving they're pretty similar. I am not a fan of the dust, when these need replacing I think I'll go back to OEM or one of Akebono's offerings.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:47 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
so my question remains the same as yours now, HPS vs R-Spec? I was told by few sources that Hawk HPS are very good so that's what I've been hanging on to but on the other hand I haven't heard of R-Spec
Z Meets Wall: We Investigate Why the NISMO Z's Brakes Failed at Lightning Lap - Feature - Car and Driver

From 100, the NISMO brakes shave 10 feet off the stopping distance of a 370Z. No big deal.

However, by the time you've done 20 100-0 stops, the OE 370Z's stopping distance has stretched to over 1000' from the first stop, which took 325 feet. That signifies a massive amount of brake fade when our brakes see heavy use.

The NISMO pads, by comparison, on the 20th stop, took 318 feet. That is a huge difference in stopping capability and fade resistance.

While you'll never find a direct comparison of R-Spec brakes vs HPS, here is some results for HPS vs other pads.

Performance Brake Pads Compared: Hawk HPS, Hawk HP Plus, EBC Yellowstuff | Car and Driver Blog

Much like tires, brake pad selection is a compromise: noise, dust, operating temperature, fade resistance etc. Track pads will stop even better, but they are noisy, dusty, and you'll never get them up to operating temperature in street driving to recognize the increased bite.

I've had HPS pads on my Mazda 6s, Subaru Legacy GT and Trans Am. They are a great street pad. So are the R-Spec pads. The above C&D article lists the price of the NISMO pads at $580, which seems pretty steep. I'd get whatever is cheaper

As I've mentioned, I got them for $100 and they work great. I'm also running Motul RBF 600

John which fluid did you use for differential , and transmission if that was you who replaced it as well, Redline or Motul?
Both are great fluids. The transmission takes 75W90, and any synthetic of your choice will work and be a little smoother. I'm running Subaru Extra S, because I had a bit of a stockpile of it from my LGT

I haven't done my rear differential yet, but it's on my list. My swaybar bushings are squeaking, so next oil change I'm going to regrease them and do the rear diff fluid.
blnewt (10-12-2014)
Old 10-12-2014, 06:10 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I've never changed the gear oil in the diff. I've been kind of holding off on that as part of a rear-gear swap mod, which isn't in the works until Spring 2016.

However I did change out the OEM transmission fluid for Redline MT-85 in June, at 19K miles.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:18 PM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Z Meets Wall: We Investigate Why the NISMO Z's Brakes Failed at Lightning Lap - Feature - Car and Driver

From 100, the NISMO brakes shave 10 feet off the stopping distance of a 370Z. No big deal.

However, by the time you've done 20 100-0 stops, the OE 370Z's stopping distance has stretched to over 1000' from the first stop, which took 325 feet. That signifies a massive amount of brake fade when our brakes see heavy use.

The NISMO pads, by comparison, on the 20th stop, took 318 feet. That is a huge difference in stopping capability and fade resistance.

While you'll never find a direct comparison of R-Spec brakes vs HPS, here is some results for HPS vs other pads.

Performance Brake Pads Compared: Hawk HPS, Hawk HP Plus, EBC Yellowstuff | Car and Driver Blog

Much like tires, brake pad selection is a compromise: noise, dust, operating temperature, fade resistance etc. Track pads will stop even better, but they are noisy, dusty, and you'll never get them up to operating temperature in street driving to recognize the increased bite.

I've had HPS pads on my Mazda 6s, Subaru Legacy GT and Trans Am. They are a great street pad. So are the R-Spec pads. The above C&D article lists the price of the NISMO pads at $580, which seems pretty steep. I'd get whatever is cheaper

As I've mentioned, I got them for $100 and they work great. I'm also running Motul RBF 600

Both are great fluids. The transmission takes 75W90, and any synthetic of your choice will work and be a little smoother. I'm running Subaru Extra S, because I had a bit of a stockpile of it from my LGT

I haven't done my rear differential yet, but it's on my list. My swaybar bushings are squeaking, so next oil change I'm going to regrease them and do the rear diff fluid.

Well I've read the first article or at least some of it a while back and yeah they are a great improvement and all but for I'm definitely not gonna pay almost $600 for stupid pads but rather go for HPS or even HPS Plus.

Although I don't track the car, I like some spiritied driving sometimes where I have my brakes fade hence why I'm considering HPS Plus but one thing that only I wouldn't want to have is more brake dust, a bit of squeal will not bother me, as long as they perform better and according to the article they do not sacrifice usability on the street as the testers have anticipated

- "Hawk HPS
Front: $65 Rear: $63
The Hawk HPS is a street-performance padmeant as an upgrade or replacement for stock units. These pads are very street-friendly, with minimal noise and a relatively steady pedal feel. We found a measurable improvement in stopping distance for the first few cycles. But as the test wore on, the HPS pads were prone to fade. If  long days of pounding around a track are on your agenda, there are better choices."

- "Hawk HP Plus
Front: $81 Rear: $78
As the most race-oriented pad in our test, we expected the HP Plus to sacrifice usability on the street. Not so. While these Hawks are a little grabby when cold and prone to the occasional squeal, both of those characteristics are tolerable during daily driving. On the racetrack, the Hawk HP Plus pads remained solid, requiring the least force to perform the 0.5-g stop, and they provided consistent braking distances even when hot."

Speaking of transmission fluid, when is it exactly recommended to replace it? because I think I got it confused , and doubt that It should be replaced at 30k, seems like the differntial fluid yes but not the trans, am I right?
Old 10-12-2014, 06:20 PM
Mik3G37S

I've never changed the gear oil in the diff. I've been kind of holding off on that as part of a rear-gear swap mod, which isn't in the works until Spring 2016.

However I did change out the OEM transmission fluid for Redline MT-85 in June, at 19K miles.
Oh I see, well one thing I gotta change for sure is the diff. fluid for sure as I'm at 30k but not sure about the transmission, must've gotten confused
Old 10-12-2014, 06:42 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Well I've read the first article or at least some of it a while back and yeah they are a great improvement and all but for I'm definitely not gonna pay almost $600 for stupid pads but rather go for HPS or even HPS Plus.

Although I don't track the car, I like some spiritied driving sometimes where I have my brakes fade hence why I'm considering HPS Plus but one thing that only I wouldn't want to have is more brake dust, a bit of squeal will not bother me, as long as they perform better and according to the article they do not sacrifice usability on the street as the testers have anticipated

- "Hawk HPS
Front: $65 Rear: $63
The Hawk HPS is a street-performance padmeant as an upgrade or replacement for stock units. These pads are very street-friendly, with minimal noise and a relatively steady pedal feel. We found a measurable improvement in stopping distance for the first few cycles. But as the test wore on, the HPS pads were prone to fade. If  long days of pounding around a track are on your agenda, there are better choices."

- "Hawk HP Plus
Front: $81 Rear: $78
As the most race-oriented pad in our test, we expected the HP Plus to sacrifice usability on the street. Not so. While these Hawks are a little grabby when cold and prone to the occasional squeal, both of those characteristics are tolerable during daily driving. On the racetrack, the Hawk HP Plus pads remained solid, requiring the least force to perform the 0.5-g stop, and they provided consistent braking distances even when hot."

I agree, $600 is a stupid price. Glad I only paid $100

The 100-to-0-mph distance graph is the average of the four panic stops per cycle

Each of the "brake test cycles" is the average of 4 100-0 stops. Compared to the HP Plus, the HPS were better for the first 16 100-0 stops, after that, the HP Plus pads had shorter stopping distances.

Whats more important to you the first 1-16 100-0 stops, or 16-36 100-0 stops? For the street, I think HPS are a better choice, if you're tracking your car, the HP Plus. Either would work. Both will dust more than stock.

Attached is the wheel of my LGT after 1 week (200 miles) on HPS pads. At the bottom of the pic you can see where I wiped my finger across the wheel to illustrate the brake dust. That being said, 300+ lb-ft of torque to the wheels generated a lot of speed
Attached Thumbnails Sedan Chat Thread-brakedust.jpg  
Rochester (10-12-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 02:00 AM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Kevin, does the clutch pedal feel any different now that you have the Z1 CSC installed?
Yes - the clutch feels a lot different for two reasons. They removed the helper spring and the travel of the pedal is significantly shorter. It feels much more natural and smoother/easier to shift with. Definitely recommend this mod for those 6MT guys whose CSCs go out and they are out of warranty.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:48 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Choman
Yes - the clutch feels a lot different for two reasons. They removed the helper spring and the travel of the pedal is significantly shorter. It feels much more natural and smoother/easier to shift with. Definitely recommend this mod for those 6MT guys whose CSCs go out and they are out of warranty.
Sounds like a worthy mod. If I weren't jammed up with an out-of-country vacation right when mine blew out last Spring, I probably would have done this... warranty work notwithstanding.

Glad it all worked out for you. I'd say "Z1 CSC" belongs in your sig. Nobody but us will know what the hell it is, LOL.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
took almost 3 months but just ordered new tires (PSS), new rims, SPC rear kit, and still trying to decide on what color and which lugs to go with...but I feel like a kid on xmas eve waiting for everything to show up so I can open it.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:07 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 326 Likes on 250 Posts
Speaking of lugs does anyone know of aftermarket lugs that are ok to use with OEM wheels?

I know most aftermarket lugs are a different shape and don't seat properly in the OEM wheels.

I want to go with black or dark grey lugs rather than chrome once I swap over to my coupe wheels (they're getting redone in grey eventually)

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread