G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 11:52 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by '11G37S
Do you plan on replacing the pipe coming off the cats with anything, or just planning on leaving it as is now

Is it a metal on metal sound? Are you sure its rubbing on the heat shield? When I push my car kind of hard, mainly when I have some aggressive down shifts (where down shifts are above 3,500 RPM) I notice a squeaking like noise coming from the right rear of the car, and its been an issue ever since I had my exhaust installed. It doesn't touch any heat shields and as far as I can tell its not rubbing on anything. I did a little bit of Google searching and found out, on the Mustang forum nonetheless, that they have the same problem but have narrowed it down to the rubber hangers needing some lubrication. I bought some silicon spray today to test out that theory before going to a exhaust shop to have them look at it.
I don't have any plans for the OEM Y-pipe yet... for now the sound amuses me and I enjoy it the way it is (without the rattle) but who knows what's gonna happen later , right? I mean what options do I have anyway? what could I replace the OEM Y-Pipe to?

I am 100% sure this is a metal on metal sound, either the heatshield or the crossbrace, no doubts about that at all
Old 09-08-2014, 12:35 AM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Fellas, thanks for the meet up today...really glad we were able to do this.
The following 2 users liked this post by Choman:
Mik3G37S (09-08-2014), Rochester (09-08-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 03:08 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts
Great looking bunch of sedans, gents!
The following users liked this post:
Mik3G37S (09-08-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 08:24 AM
doublea88
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
No Problem Kevin, it sure Was a really beautiful Sunday for a Nice drive and meet with you guys! The pics are amazing John, Glad you brought your Canon.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:52 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
I am 100% sure this is a metal on metal sound, either the heatshield or the crossbrace, no doubts about that at all
When driving it around, if you hit a little bump you can hear the piping slam against something with a distinctive metal-on-metal "clanking" noise. Next time you get it on the lift, I'm sure you and your mechanic will figure it out. Be good to have a follow-up visit after a few weeks anyway.

...which kind of made that exhaust sound like it's doesn't have a deep tone like FI or ARK , that's why John is under impression it's not as deeply toned as either one of them.
You have the OEM Y-Pipe off the front, with non-resonated 200 cell BERK cats. Plus your y-back pipes and cans are brand new from just days ago. Also, Kevin's FI set-up and Albert's ARK setup are both on tuned cars, and that changes exhaust noise in a big way. And obviously Alberts cats and mufflers use Helmoltz resonators, which is an entirely different ball-game.

It's apples and oranges.

I'm glad John finally likes something about my car but man, does this guy look at every possible tiniest detail out there!
There's a lot to appreciate about your car. Like all of our cars, it's a work in progress. Pretty sure, or I'm hoping, you accept the compliments along with the criticisms... both of which are just random opinions of some old dude who lives far away and you may never meet again.

Your car is fine. It's your pants that looked ridiculous.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-08-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:04 AM
nishfish871

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
You guys should make a vid next time comparing the full FI setup to a Ark/Helmoltz setup.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by nishfish871
You guys should make a vid next time comparing the full FI setup to a Ark/Helmoltz setup.
There are a lot of things like that we should have done last April. I have some regrets about not organizing photos and videos better, but nishfish... it was a huge effort just to get that together as it was.

Plus it rained. And the Park Ranger was watching us.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
When driving it around, if you hit a little bump you can hear the piping slam against something with a distinctive metal-on-metal "clanking" noise. Next time you get it on the lift, I'm sure you and your mechanic will figure it out. Be good to have a follow-up visit after a few weeks anyway.
Yeah I know I have noticed the clanking noise when going over bumps which is caused by Y-pipe just as rattling noise at RPMs a little above idle once the engine warms up. I'm gonna try to get it on the lift today but one thing that sucks is it's gonna take a WHILE for the exhaust to somewhat cool off..

You have the OEM Y-Pipe off the front, with non-resonated 200 cell BERK cats. Plus your y-back pipes and cans are brand new from just days ago. Also, Kevin's FI set-up and Albert's ARK setup are both on tuned cars, and that changes exhaust noise in a big way. And obviously Alberts cats and mufflers use Helmoltz resonators, which is an entirely different ball-game.

It's apples and oranges.
True, one thing for sure is that the setup is just few days old so it still needs more time, and I think the tune does open up the exhausts even more.

There's a lot to appreciate about your car. Like all of our cars, it's a work in progress. Pretty sure, or I'm hoping, you accept the compliments along with the criticisms... both of which are just random opinions of some old dude who lives far away and you may never meet again.

Your car is fine. It's your pants that looked ridiculous.
Yes it is a work in progress indeed, just like everybody else's. Yeah I can accept the compliments along with the criticisms, everybody's differently opinionated, but yes indeed they are just opinions, but it's good to share our opinions with the community isn't that the point? and it seems more likely that I may meet that dude again next April...

ooops wait, after the last sentence, I think you might be right I may not meet that old dude again LOL.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:13 PM
DBall

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
That's what I get for not checking the boards as often as I used to... I was driving right through Binghamton (grew up around that area) coming back to Rochester from visiting a friend in NJ. Definitely could have stopped off in Bing, but my car is entirely stock and likely pretty boring comparatively...

I was 99% sure I saw Rochester's car at a rest stop between Cortland and Syracuse and aft6er a brief PM exchange, I was right! Very nice car for sure...
Old 09-09-2014, 05:53 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Hotchkis Sways going on in the AM, did a little driving today and did as Rochester suggested. Hit an off ramp at around 65 and cannot wait till tomorrow to feel the difference hitting the same ramp by my house. I'm going to take it easy to get used to the added control. It should be interesting. It's been a while since I had a **** eating grin put on my face.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:09 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts
Promise last time I post about the grille, any comments or suggestions for the "S" badge? Remove it? Relocate it? Think it has potential but haven't quite figured it out (lot more complicated that I thought)

(Also thanks to ILM-NC G37S for sending me his emblems)

Name:  IMG_1674_zpsf5f393c3.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  52.7 KB
twin_snails (09-12-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 06:36 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
^^^Looks good to me
STownSaint (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 06:51 PM
Rennies5

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by warped ideas
^^^Looks good to me
I second that. Nice clean look!
STownSaint (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 07:29 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I like the grille and Infiniti emblem.

I'm not sure about the S. I'd probably skip it. 99% of your fellow motorists have no idea what a G37S is.
STownSaint (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 07:33 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I like the grille and Infiniti emblem.

I'm not sure about the S. I'd probably skip it. 99% of your fellow motorists have no idea what a G37S is.
Agree^^
S looks a bit like an orphan in there, but grill looks sweet!
STownSaint (09-09-2014)

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread