G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 12:11 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
If only we knew a mod to suggest that to....

Newt, as a new super mod what do you say?
Could be possible, although this is THE thread right now so as long as it's being refreshed this much I think it's pretty much self-sticky'd.
Also don't forget the "rate this thread" button, gives it a bit more exposure when it's a 5 star
Old 12-19-2013, 12:47 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Could be possible, although this is THE thread right now so as long as it's being refreshed this much I think it's pretty much self-sticky'd.
Also don't forget the "rate this thread" button, gives it a bit more exposure when it's a 5 star
Forget it? I didn't even know it existed!

Just got back from picking the car up so I suppose I should get into what Rochester wants to hear about. The car handles much differently. I didn't push it too hard but there is an immediate and noticeable difference. Much more responsive and feels more nimble. I caught myself over correcting a bit so it will take a little time running it as is I think. I'm also looking into a driving class though that will focus on evasion and escape as well as pursuit which will be fun but may not directly translate (not planning on pitting anyone with my G).

The RHFCs...
I noticed a slight difference in sound immediately. Not crazy loud but just a little louder. The best way to explain it is I thought is was a more balanced sound when coupled with the intake. What I mean is before the car would howl at WOT but it was mostly the intake, now there is a bit of an increase in exhaust sound which I thought was pretty nice. Not obnoxious, hardly noticeable at idle but just before the intake sound kicks in (3500/4000 rpm) for me generally unless I stomp on it, and there's some exhaust tone to it. Sound aside, the butt dyno approves. Is there a huge difference? No, but there is a differences she accelerated significantly more and, well let's just say I hit numbers I didn't hit before under the same sort of throttle.

I'm interested in seeing where I wind up after they burn in. Definitely mod money well spent in my opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by RexHavoc:
blnewt (12-19-2013), Rochester (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 01:01 AM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts
They will probably get louder once you burn them in, my Kinetix did. Congrats on the upgrades. Are you in law enforcement RexHavoc?
Old 12-19-2013, 01:26 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by ZOSTER33
They will probably get louder once you burn them in, my Kinetix did. Congrats on the upgrades. Are you in law enforcement RexHavoc?
That's what I'm hoping

Not any longer, I'm in the private sector now although I'm getting ready to go through the sheriffs academy down here which should be interesting. Once I go through the academy I'll have powers of arrest even while working at my FT job, it's a little.... Different down here I guess. If I can justify the cost I'll go through T1G or VDI just 'cause. I haven't done any serious EP driving in years but I think the course would be fun.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:06 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Forget it? I didn't even know it existed!

Just got back from picking the car up so I suppose I should get into what Rochester wants to hear about. The car handles much differently. I didn't push it too hard but there is an immediate and noticeable difference. Much more responsive and feels more nimble. I caught myself over correcting a bit so it will take a little time running it as is I think. I'm also looking into a driving class though that will focus on evasion and escape as well as pursuit which will be fun but may not directly translate (not planning on pitting anyone with my G).

The RHFCs...
I noticed a slight difference in sound immediately. Not crazy loud but just a little louder. The best way to explain it is I thought is was a more balanced sound when coupled with the intake. What I mean is before the car would howl at WOT but it was mostly the intake, now there is a bit of an increase in exhaust sound which I thought was pretty nice. Not obnoxious, hardly noticeable at idle but just before the intake sound kicks in (3500/4000 rpm) for me generally unless I stomp on it, and there's some exhaust tone to it. Sound aside, the butt dyno approves. Is there a huge difference? No, but there is a differences she accelerated significantly more and, well let's just say I hit numbers I didn't hit before under the same sort of throttle.

I'm interested in seeing where I wind up after they burn in. Definitely mod money well spent in my opinion.
Sways. Best mod ever. Particularly when on the X. It's a wonderful thing, eh?

Excellent initial feedback on the cats. I was thinking how the intake howl is only on the way up, but an exhaust sound is both up and down the high revs, yes?
Old 12-19-2013, 07:23 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I got my midnight black grille installed. Should have came from the factory like this.

Supposed to be 70 on Saturday, so maybe I can get her all washed up for Christmas
Old 12-19-2013, 07:33 AM
aktif8

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Sways. Best mod ever. Particularly when on the X. It's a wonderful thing, eh?

Excellent initial feedback on the cats. I was thinking how the intake howl is only on the way up, but an exhaust sound is both up and down the high revs, yes?
I just had my rhfcs put on a few days ago (along with the top speed Y pipe.) the intake noise is now definitely quieter than the exhaust (Stillen gen3) was before it was the reverse, with just the mid pipe back (regardless of direction of revs) .
Old 12-19-2013, 08:12 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by aktif8
I just had my rhfcs put on a few days ago (along with the top speed Y pipe.) the intake noise is now definitely quieter than the exhaust (Stillen gen3) was before it was the reverse, with just the mid pipe back (regardless of direction of revs) .
Tell us more about the y-pipe, please. Cost, reasons, issues, availability, etc.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:32 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
I can't wait to install my rhfcs now... will be a job of mine for next week (hopefully).

I'm a little bit of a newbie when it comes to sway bars and end links, but will adding larger sways to my X model help with the "bouncy feel" of my swift springs? I'm positive adding a larger sway bar won't remove the bouncy effect, but will it help at the least?
Old 12-19-2013, 08:51 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Thanks for the RHFC feedback Chris, that seems to be the logical choice for me as I really don't want to increase the volume much at all but get the efficiency of the HFCs. Was there anything objectionable in the tone that wasn't there before at any rpm spot?
Old 12-19-2013, 09:02 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 752 Likes on 356 Posts
Thanks for the RHFC feedback Chris, that seems to be the logical choice for me as I really don't want to increase the volume much at all but get the efficiency of the HFCs. Was there anything objectionable in the tone that wasn't there before at any rpm spot?
Specifically, have you noticed any deceleration hiss? I would be surprised if there wasn't an increase in that. I don't mind it, but some people despise that sound, and aftermarket exhaust parts are almost certainly going to increase that.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:08 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by warped ideas
I forgot that most of our forums peers are way up North. One thing I do love about the deep south is the climate. I BBQed on Thanksgiving in shorts and a T-shirt w/ sandals. Cold Bud in one hand and a meat fork in the other. Changing oil is a breeze any time of te year here..... Till there is a hurricane or Tropical Storm. I don't think I would want to be under a car in the snow either.
...and your point is
Sedan Chat Thread-snowy-bbq.jpg
The following users liked this post:
Mik3G37S (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 10:16 AM
aktif8

Originally Posted by Rochester
Tell us more about the y-pipe, please. Cost, reasons, issues, availability, etc.

sure.

a) $200 from top speed directly on ebay

b) 1) rasp - I figured (hoped) that TS sound tested their y pipe with their mid pipe back. 2) I knew the machining / mandrel bends / diameter, etc, would match up. 3) It looked like it would fit an X with no issues.

c) no issues at all. bolted right up.

d) readily available from top speed directly. Not sure why this piece isn't discussed more on here!

I ordered the FI RHFCs in 2.5 to match the Y pipe 2.5.

I'll take sound clips very soon - it sounds great. exactly what I was looking for.

(My 3-year old, after these were put on, has now taken to saying "daddy, go faster, faster!" on on-ramps. My wife tells him to stop encouraging me )
Old 12-19-2013, 10:19 AM
aktif8

just ordered this, in black leather with a tan top stripe / stitching to match my stone seats. Eagerly awaiting this package.... Now the steering wheel matches the exhaust note

Old 12-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Just responding to what I remembered from my FI RHFCs since I have had them on for about 10k miles. Would like to hear others opinions too!

The RHFCs...

They definitely open a bit more once they're baked in. Give that about 500 to 1000 miles or so. I thought they sounded even different after a few more thousand miles.

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
Specifically, have you noticed any deceleration hiss? I would be surprised if there wasn't an increase in that. I don't mind it, but some people despise that sound, and aftermarket exhaust parts are almost certainly going to increase that.
In my opinion, Blnewt and GoFightNguyen, the only thing I found was that after installing my CBE, I do hear the hiss more. When I had the OEM stock exhaust, I had to really pay attention to hear it and I mean radio off as well as decelerate from 5k to 6k rpm. Defintiely agree that any aftermarket exhaust will accentuate that hiss.

Blnewt, a tune would be good too if you decide to get the RHFCs. I am enjoying the Uprev tune after the installation of my breather mods. I can't keep my rear in line WOT in 2nd gear and my VDC light will go off to give an idea.

It's been great ever since the tune so far.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread