G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 11:45 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
Canuckle, why did they have to replace your ECU/ECM module? Seems like a rare failure for our cars.

@Groot, welcome to the forum, Sir!
Two reasons, according to the dealer:

1- they said the ECU was throwing bad codes, even though they confirmed low oils pressure related to P0524. But the P0113 code was a phantom.
2- there was a high pitch whine coming just after engine shut down. They said this was an infrequent but not unheard of issue across the Infiniti line up.

The ECU took 3 weeks to come in from Japan though, so the repair must be somewhat rare.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (08-25-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 05:48 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Discount Tire Direct has a promotion of $75 gift card with another $75 gift card if you open/use their card through tomorrow (08/25).

A set of OE sized PSS would be $784 shipped, and I'd get $125 in visa gift cards, bringing the total to $634. I'm not thrilled about opening a DTD credit card, but whatever

Anyone think I can do better on PSS or should I go for it?
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (08-25-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 07:28 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
2- there was a high pitch whine coming just after engine shut down. They said this was an infrequent but not unheard of issue across the Infiniti line up.
My car makes this sound after I shut off the engine. I found it to be my electric cooling fans spooling down to a stop.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Discount Tire Direct has a promotion of $75 gift card with another $75 gift card if you open/use their card through tomorrow (08/25).

A set of OE sized PSS would be $784 shipped, and I'd get $125 in visa gift cards, bringing the total to $634. I'm not thrilled about opening a DTD credit card, but whatever

What's on the car now... OEM Bridgestones?

You're going to really like the PSS. Particularly when matched to your suspension upgrades.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:55 PM
nishfish871

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

They price match Tire Rack. The manager from the branch calls you to say ¨we can match that¨. Worked for me when they had the $100 giftcard special 2 years ago.

Edit: Not sure it will work with the ¨direct¨ store. I did mine through discounttire.com
Old 08-24-2014, 10:11 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester

You're going to really like the PSS. Particularly when matched to your suspension upgrades.
I replaced the oem tires around 11k with bridgestone potenza s04 tires
Old 08-24-2014, 11:37 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts

I had the opportunity to really push the car through some curves this weekend. Huge, huge difference. Felt like I was glued to the road.

Need to keep tweaking though, something isn't quite right. OR, I shoulda left well enough alone. Dammit
Old 08-25-2014, 07:12 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I replaced the oem tires around 11k with bridgestone potenza s04 tires
Same here... 11K on my OEM rear tires, and 15K on the fronts.

Last year, I bought two PSS for the rear, and ran them with the Bridgestones on the front, just for that one season while the fronts still had some tread life in them. I was worried about the mismatch, but honest-to-god I swear the car handled better with just the two rear PSS than otherwise.

And of course, I run snow tires in the winter.

This year... PSS all around, with a 1" and 1.5" wider patch, respectively front to back. The car is simply heroic.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:22 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Same here... 11K on my OEM rear tires, and 15K on the fronts.

Last year, I bought two PSS for the rear, and ran them with the Bridgestones on the front, just for that one season while the fronts still had some tread life in them. I was worried about the mismatch, but honest-to-god I swear the car handled better with just the two rear PSS than otherwise.

And of course, I run snow tires in the winter.

This year... PSS all around, with a 1" and 1.5" wider patch, respectively front to back. The car is simply heroic.
I'm thinking about just getting rears but I hate mismatched tires. Fronts are 6/32 to 5/32 depending on where I measure, rears are 2/32 to 3/32. I really should see how the alignment goes on Friday.....

My wife's car needs tires too, so I'm going to have to drop a bunch of coin on rubber in the next few weeks
Old 08-25-2014, 07:42 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I'm thinking about just getting rears but I hate mismatched tires. Fronts are 6/32 to 5/32 depending on where I measure, rears are 2/32 to 3/32. I really should see how the alignment goes on Friday.....

My wife's car needs tires too, so I'm going to have to drop a bunch of coin on rubber in the next few weeks
FWIW, during most of the 2013 summer-tire season, I was OK with the mismatch, and better than otherwise. But by the time Fall rolled around, I was starting to understeer in a noticeable, awkward way.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:47 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 178 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Hogwash! I love the Recaro seat for my son and think it's better than my wife's highly rated Chicco seat. The one thing better about the Chicco is you can adjust the seat without taking it out of the car, so in that respect, yeah, no bueno. Everyone has their own preference though, I just think it's cool they offer such a cool seat with a good safety rating at that.

Here is a demonstration of my son thinking the same thing.....LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmiVEGWmB2I
Cute little guy, Around. It looks like he enjoys those acceleration runs! What kind of Mustang? I noticed the Recaro front seats. How do you like them?
Old 08-25-2014, 03:54 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Originally Posted by canucklehead
Two reasons, according to the dealer:

1- they said the ECU was throwing bad codes, even though they confirmed low oils pressure related to P0524. But the P0113 code was a phantom.

The ECU took 3 weeks to come in from Japan though, so the repair must be somewhat rare.
Thanks for the additional info. I'm not getting any whine on shutdown thankfully. I'm really hoping that I don't throw that dreaded P0524 code. I have a 2010 and just crossed 90k miles. I think I'll throw my Kiwi on the car tonight and check for codes just to be on the safe side.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:57 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Cute little guy, Around. It looks like he enjoys those acceleration runs! What kind of Mustang? I noticed the Recaro front seats. How do you like them?
2013 5.0 and man, what a blast to drive around in. If you can get past the stigma of driving a "mustang" I think there is no better car out there pure fun wise (compared to similarly price vehicles) than the 5.0. The seats were also a must have option for the car and worth every penny.

Last edited by AroundTheG37; 08-25-2014 at 04:23 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-25-2014, 04:02 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

^ Very nice! I think the Mustang 5.0 is one of the best sounding V8's out there. That 420 HP sure is nice too! The Recaros look like a very nice upgrade over stock. I think many cars leave a bit to be desired in terms of the seats. The leather quality could be a lot better. I drove a Q50 loaner a few months ago and was not overly impressed with the leather thickness on the seats. It seemed thin and cheap.

Did you trade your G37?
Old 08-25-2014, 04:30 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
^ Very nice! I think the Mustang 5.0 is one of the best sounding V8's out there. That 420 HP sure is nice too! The Recaros look like a very nice upgrade over stock. I think many cars leave a bit to be desired in terms of the seats. The leather quality could be a lot better. I drove a Q50 loaner a few months ago and was not overly impressed with the leather thickness on the seats. It seemed thin and cheap.

Did you trade your G37?
Yeah, the sound is almost unbeatable and people can see why I'm really unimpressed with trying to get sound out of my G. Stock mustang seats are terrible so yeah, it was recaro's or bust. Priced as a $1600 option I would say the value for the recaro's was a no brainer. I actually traded in my mustang on the G because I had a second kid. Sometimes I really regret that decision (the car, not the little one ) but every time I have to take the kids on a trip somewhere I quickly lose that thought. I'm thinking a year or two down the road I'll get something with a big ol v8 (maybe even a GT500 if things go well) as a weekend car, but we shall see.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread