G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 09:41 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Aluminum. Well, I'm assuming it's aluminum. Looks like it to me. From what I can see, it looks like an aluminum core inside a plastic handle, mated to an aluminum base, and wrapped in leather with glue. And that little strip of aluminum trim on the top seems to be also fixed with a Philips head screw at the end of the threads.

Without the leather on the sides, I think the OEM **** is totally re-usable for winter, if it comes to that. Of course, it's also very crude looking now, but not "destroyed" per se.
What about looking for something you could wrap the new Titanium **** with during the winter if you don't want to wear gloves? You would want something easily removable that doesn't damage the titanium finish - what about a custom leather cover or something synthetic that could securely slip over the ****? Just a few thoughts.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:50 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam West
What about looking for something you could wrap the new Titanium **** with during the winter if you don't want to wear gloves? You would want something easily removable that doesn't damage the titanium finish - what about a custom leather cover or something synthetic that could securely slip over the ****? Just a few thoughts.
Great idea Adam~the gearshift koozie!
Old 08-13-2014, 11:06 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam West
What about looking for something you could wrap the new Titanium **** with during the winter if you don't want to wear gloves?
I think I'm going to deal with it as the temps lower, and see what happens.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:08 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Wish I had a leather boot on my parking brake.

Would like a more premium leather shifting boot, too.

Don't know jack about leather, but I figure in about two more years I'll have something. LOL
Old 08-13-2014, 11:17 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Oh, well halo there.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:51 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Oh how I love washing my car only to find a new scratch. It drives me nuts but these are the perils of owning black cars.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:28 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Wish I had a leather boot on my parking brake.

Would like a more premium leather shifting boot, too.

Don't know jack about leather, but I figure in about two more years I'll have something. LOL
This is on my list too. The "leather" shift boot feels so cheap. Whatever I do, I want it to match the rest of the interior. Redline goods has a perforated nappa leather that looks like it would match the seats, in conjunction with silver stitching.

I dunno about a boot on the parking brake though. The pictures I've seen looked too....forced. Might be the material that was used though.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:36 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
This is on my list too. The "leather" shift boot feels so cheap. Whatever I do, I want it to match the rest of the interior. Redline goods has a perforated nappa leather that looks like it would match the seats, in conjunction with silver stitching.

I dunno about a boot on the parking brake though. The pictures I've seen looked too....forced. Might be the material that was used though.
I get you on that, Lego. Pics I've seen of leather on the parking brake handle always look pinched and awkward. There's just not enough space there. I wish INFINITI had wrapped and glued the handle in leather, like the steering wheel and shift ****.

Years ago, I bought a leather e-brake boot from Redline Goods for my old Maxima. IDK if it was NAPA leather or not, but I distinctly remember it being more stiff and lesser quality (IMO) than the OEM boot leather on that 6MT. Based on that, I'm hesitant to go with Redline for a new boot... in either application.

I would like a premium piece of leather, something very supple and rich to the touch. Know what I mean? I'm considering slowly networking local leather/taxidermy shops. The kind that make special order gloves and jackets and whatnot. I need more expertise on the topic, and won't just be ordering the first shift boot I see online.

This could take years, LOL. Which is totally fine. Truth is, I started looking for shift ***** over two years ago, and finally dialed into something I absolutely love, and appreciate every moment that I drive the car. (Thank you for that, buddy.) Same goes for my rims.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:09 AM
redsoxfan5
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a heads up for anyone who wants to remove the OEM shift **** without damaging it, I used an oil filter strap wrench (like the one in the picture) and it worked like a charm. I couldn't believe how tight that **** was, but I removed it with no damage whatsoever.
Attached Thumbnails Sedan Chat Thread-strap-wrench.jpg  
Old 08-14-2014, 08:30 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

I get you on that, Lego. Pics I've seen of leather on the parking brake handle always look pinched and awkward. There's just not enough space there. I wish INFINITI had wrapped and glued the handle in leather, like the steering wheel and shift ****.

Years ago, I bought a leather e-brake boot from Redline Goods for my old Maxima. IDK if it was NAPA leather or not, but I distinctly remember it being more stiff and lesser quality (IMO) than the OEM boot leather on that 6MT. Based on that, I'm hesitant to go with Redline for a new boot... in either application.

I would like a premium piece of leather, something very supple and rich to the touch. Know what I mean? I'm considering slowly networking local leather/taxidermy shops. The kind that make special order gloves and jackets and whatnot. I need more expertise on the topic, and won't just be ordering the first shift boot I see online.

This could take years, LOL. Which is totally fine. Truth is, I started looking for shift ***** over two years ago, and finally dialed into something I absolutely love, and appreciate every moment that I drive the car. (Thank you for that, buddy.) Same goes for my rims.
I hear ya. I have several pieces of custom leather, and I love the quality snd craftsmanship that goes into the work.

But I was also happy with the leather boot I got from redline for my Legacy GT, and for $75 I'm tempted to just take a shot. I do wish there was another option though.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:37 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I hear ya. I have several pieces of custom leather, and I love the quality snd craftsmanship that goes into the work.

But I was also happy with the leather boot I got from redline for my Legacy GT, and for $75 I'm tempted to just take a shot. I do wish there was another option though.
Ah... I see now. That e-brake boot from years ago must have been their standard leather, not Napa Leather.

Shift boot colors - RedlineGoods leather shift boots

I wonder why they only offer Napa leather in black.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:48 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Oh how I love washing my car only to find a new scratch. It drives me nuts but these are the perils of owning black cars.
speak the truth right here
Old 08-14-2014, 09:08 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Not sure they would do it, and it may be a little tough to network with them but the Alessi shop is up in Buffalo right over by the cargo area at the airport. Other than Matt DelFatti I think they make some of the nicest holsters around even after Lou's passing. The new owner seems like a good guy and made me a custom set-up in just over two weeks. I'm sure it would take longer since there isn't a mold for what you're looking for though.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
Not sure they would do it, and it may be a little tough to network with them but the Alessi shop is up in Buffalo right over by the cargo area at the airport. Other than Matt DelFatti I think they make some of the nicest holsters around even after Lou's passing. The new owner seems like a good guy and made me a custom set-up in just over two weeks. I'm sure it would take longer since there isn't a mold for what you're looking for though.
I would be surprised if a holster maker would branch out like that into shift boots. If only because demand for custom leather belts and holster are so high. My last 2 holsters took 10 weeks, and I went with those makers because their quoted turnaround was "quick".
Old 08-14-2014, 03:13 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Scheduled an alignment at a local independent /Porsche shop for the 29th. I figure the extra $40-$50 over Firestone or Goodyear is worth it. Just being able to make an appointment is worth it to me. If I can get in factory range I'll add PSS in short order. If not, I might reconsider and get another set of S04s if I'm going to be eating through tires.

I'm loving the Koni + Swift combo. It's like the difference going from stock to Eibach swaybars.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread