G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 07:18 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Leatherique - Testing the application

I put some plastic garbage bags over the drivers seat, so that I could put the car back in the garage overnight. Then I got to looking at the leather, and couldn't resist testing out the cleaner. So I applied the Prestine Cleaner to the drivers-side rear, and it looks truly fantastic. However, since my rear seats barely get used, they should look perfect anyway. Which they do.

But in the front... I tried cleaning a section of the left thigh bolster, which had started getting a little crinkly, with spider webs of very thin lines (which apparently is dirt). However, with a little bit of elbow grease into a microfiber tower with some of the cleaner on it, the leather cleaned up really, really nice. Then I just stopped, forcing myself to wait until tomorrow to really clean things up. And since the day is filled with a soccer tournament for my kids, it will have to wait until early evening.

However, a little test tonight, and I'm feeling kind of jazzed up. Truth is, I never thought my leather was dirty to begin with, because I've been cleaning & conditioning 3-4 times a year with LEXOL. I was wrong. Go figure.

I wonder, when I'm done with the cleaner, if I should use LEXOL conditioner on the leather. I'm starting to think of LEXOL as more of a surface product. In so far as the stone leather sport seats on the the 2011 G37. Rather imagine leather seating varies manufacturer from manufacturer, or even car to car.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-18-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:15 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
Not until I get my sedan dropped
No need to wait!

Originally Posted by '11G37S
I've got a couple of guys that would be interested in a meet close to KY.
I'll be in Nashville sometime in August I think the week of the 18th maybe we could find a halfway point. Although that means I'll have to wash the car so maybe not... I'd actually like another owner to drive the car and give me some comparison feedback tho. I'll touch base and see what you're doing that weekend.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:10 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
I'll be in Nashville sometime in August I think the week of the 18th maybe we could find a halfway point. Although that means I'll have to wash the car so maybe not... I'd actually like another owner to drive the car and give me some comparison feedback tho. I'll touch base and see what you're doing that weekend.
Sounds good to me.

BTW, my mechanic found a guy who has 3 240Z's, if you want I can send you more info once he gets it to me.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:14 AM
Rochester
Administrator

No need to wait!
Before lowing the cars, you and I both showed up to the April meet-up with OEM springs & struts. I don't recall feeling overly self-conscious.

Well, maybe just a little.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:20 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by '11G37S
Sounds good to me.

BTW, my mechanic found a guy who has 3 240Z's, if you want I can send you more info once he gets it to me.
Please do. I'm still on the fence but would be interested in what they have.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Before lowing the cars, you and I both showed up to the April meet-up with OEM springs & struts. I don't recall feeling overly self-conscious.

Well, maybe just a little.
I didn't until I took a pic of my car next to Keith's at breakfast.... But just a little bit and was still a great time.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:46 AM
Motoboat

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Rochester, you didn't happen to take any before and after pictures of the leather seat in front did you? It would be pretty cool to see the difference that it makes. I've always used lexol too, but I love finding new products that work.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:11 AM
blueis300
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
No need to wait!

Im just outside of Nashville. I thought there were some others trying for the first week in August.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:29 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Motoboat
Rochester, you didn't happen to take any before and after pictures of the leather seat in front did you? It would be pretty cool to see the difference that it makes. I've always used lexol too, but I love finding new products that work.
There are a gazillion online reviews of Leatherique as compared to Lexol, with before/after pictures to be found. I have no *before* pics, but I will take some pics later today of how they cleaned up. And OMG did they clean up nicely! I am 100% convinced now that Leatherique is my new leather treatment product. More accurately said, I now appreciate that the leather interior is something that should be taken care of as much as the paint finish, the wheels and the engine bay. I thought I was doing good-enough leather care, and now I know better.

Here's my new regimen:
  1. Lexol Cleaner
  2. Leatherique Revitalizer - baked in the sun for a full day
  3. Leatherique Prestine Cleaner
  4. Lexol Conditioner

In that order, over the course of a couple of days. I've come to the conclusion that Lexol is more of a surface product than Leatherique, but I still like it for the final finish, and the smell.

Pics later.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:51 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Okay, I get it.... My k&n typhoons suck.... Literally, they suck hot air. This morning I took a short but very quick drive to get gas. With the engine cold in first and second gears manually shifting my car was a beast. The damn thing went to rev limitor faster than I've ever seen before. Rear tired were spinning freely into third gear..... I was so impressed / having fun that I tried it again after getting gas with the engine well heated up. No such luck the second time around. I need a gen 3 intake. I'm wondering if the car will behave this way all the time with a true cold air intake? Any opinions other than yes the CAI are better than SRI?
Old 07-19-2014, 11:54 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by warped ideas
Okay, I get it.... My k&n typhoons suck.... Literally, they suck hot air. This morning I took a short but very quick drive to get gas. With the engine cold in first and second gears manually shifting my car was a beast. The damn thing went to rev limitor faster than I've ever seen before. Rear tired were spinning freely into third gear..... I was so impressed / having fun that I tried it again after getting gas with the engine well heated up. No such luck the second time around. I need a gen 3 intake. I'm wondering if the car will behave this way all the time with a true cold air intake? Any opinions other than yes the CAI are better than SRI?
I have gen 3's on my sedan and R2C on the wifey's, and to be honest its a hard call for me personally. I've always said that I feel the gen 3 gives you more top end where the r2c's give more mid range. I honestly don't feel any drastic change between the 2, although it's hard to truly tell as I'm in Tampa where its 95+ degrees with 100% humidity every dam day. I think if you live I an area where you actually get a change of seasons I think you'd feel the gen 3 more.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:37 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
I have gen 3's on my sedan and R2C on the wifey's, and to be honest its a hard call for me personally. I've always said that I feel the gen 3 gives you more top end where the r2c's give more mid range. I honestly don't feel any drastic change between the 2, although it's hard to truly tell as I'm in Tampa where its 95+ degrees with 100% humidity every dam day. I think if you live I an area where you actually get a change of seasons I think you'd feel the gen 3 more.
I see. I just can't figure why the engine would rev out like that. It put a huge smile on my face until I tried it the second time. The only variable that changed was the engine temp? If the Gen 3 can make my car act like that every time I mash the pedal then I'll be getting that intake! I'm in Pembroke Pines about 3 miles north of MIA / Dade line. Humidity and temperature are a constant 80% and 90 degrees.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:31 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I see. I just can't figure why the engine would rev out like that. It put a huge smile on my face until I tried it the second time. The only variable that changed was the engine temp? If the Gen 3 can make my car act like that every time I mash the pedal then I'll be getting that intake! I'm in Pembroke Pines about 3 miles north of MIA / Dade line. Humidity and temperature are a constant 80% and 90 degrees.
I think there is more than one variable involved. Did you overlooking the weigh of the gasoline over the rear end?

If you were on E and added 16 gallons on gas, that could be why the rear didn't break loose.

Also dont forget tire temp. Cold tires would be more likely to spin than they would be after they got heated up.

You're probably talking about a 10 horsepower difference, hard to really feel that in the butt dyno.
The following users liked this post:
warped ideas (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 09:12 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I think there is more than one variable involved. Did you overlooking the weigh of the gasoline over the rear end?

If you were on E and added 16 gallons on gas, that could be why the rear didn't break loose.

Also dont forget tire temp. Cold tires would be more likely to spin than they would be after they got heated up.

You're probably talking about a 10 horsepower difference, hard to really feel that in the butt dyno.
I had about a quarter of a tank left before the fill-up, and the gas station is literally .9 miles from my house. I could see the weight of the gas being another variable to consider, but not so much the tires being heated up. Thanks for the input, you're helping save me from buying the new intake. LOL
Old 07-20-2014, 09:26 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I had about a quarter of a tank left before the fill-up, and the gas station is literally .9 miles from my house. I could see the weight of the gas being another variable to consider, but not so much the tires being heated up. Thanks for the input, you're helping save me from buying the new intake. LOL
Spinning tires would certainly heat them up. Its why people do burnouts before running the 1/4.

Since you're in FL, have you thought about bypassing the throttle body coolant lines? It would help keep the air cooler.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:17 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
The K&N heat shields are also very small and less effective than the R2C and Injen SRI shields. Over here in 100 degree New Mexico I haven't had any real loss from heat soak that I can notice, I'm sure there's some but a few HP would be hard to tell. Not sure how easy it would be to add more heat shielding that wouldn't look horrible though.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread