G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 07:22 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
Definitely get sways Mike! It changes the handling of the car in a big way. You'll like the Koni Yellows too! I actually want to tune my rear shocks a bit firmer. I think I'm at 2/3 of a turn from full soft. The problem is that I'll have to drop them out to adjust. That's the only drawback though if you're wanting to dial it in with multiple adjustments.
I didn't realize you had to drop them.

Do the fronts not adjust from the top with the little supplied ****, and the rears using the window/allen wrench method?

Edit: You should be able to adjust them on car: http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.cf...lwCObscmZtiCQU

Last edited by Lego_Maniac; 07-18-2014 at 07:37 AM. Reason: added link to koni instructions
Old 07-18-2014, 08:01 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Definitely get sways Mike! It changes the handling of the car in a big way
Wait, Mike still has the OEM sways on his 6MT? For somebody who mods their sport sedan, and drives it all the time, every day, this should be #1 on their list.

Mike, did Kevin ever let you drive his 6MT after he put sways on the car this past Spring?

+1 on your review of the Leatherique.
Me too. The smart thing would be to wait until Tuesday, when there's a 90* forecast on the way, so that the Rejuvenator can bake in before using the Prestine Cleaner. But today's 78* sunny day will have to do, because the product is in my hands, the opportunity is here, and I can't wait. I'll see if I can take any before/after pics, but honestly this kind of thing is difficult to represent in photos.

Maybe I'll reapply it to the drivers seat on Tuesday morning, then let it bake in again. The drivers seat is certainly more dirty than the rest of the leather.

I had been almost pretty much set on Swifts until I heard Rochester say that they're pretty much identical to the stock sport springs. I'm looking for a little bit more taut-ness than stock...maybe to the tune of 15-20%
What? Don't put that on me, man.

However, yeah, the Swifts feel very very much like stock springs. I was kind of surprised about that. I know that assessment is common, but until you actually do it, conventional wisdom says that lowering springs would be more harsh. (Once again, there's a reason why conventional wisdom is based on convenient logic.) And like you, I prefer a more ridged suspension, so in a few years I'll probably put coilovers on the car and click those damper settings real low. Nothing wrong with modding the mod. And dialing in a more consistent wheel gap front to back would be nice, too.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-18-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:15 AM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
The lowering part is hard, since konis actually seem to raise the car. Not a whole lot of people rocking konis on sedans.
well but paired up with lowering springs and they will be lowering the car for sure and if not then I guess I'll be changing my mind once again... I am not raising my car that's for sure I wanna lower it 1-1.5"..

Definitely get sways Mike! It changes the handling of the car in a big way. You'll like the Koni Yellows too! I actually want to tune my rear shocks a bit firmer. I think I'm at 2/3 of a turn from full soft. The problem is that I'll have to drop them out to adjust. That's the only drawback though if you're wanting to dial it in with multiple adjustments.
I will get sways I will, promise ! :P now just got me thinking though... if konis with lowering springs wont actually lower my car about 1-1.5" from stock height then I will definitely reconsider this..

Originally Posted by Rochester
Wait, Mike still has the OEM sways on his 6MT? For somebody who mods their sport sedan, and drives it all the time, every day, this should be #1 on their list.

Mike, did Kevin ever let you drive his 6MT after he put sways on the car this past Spring?
Yeah I still have OEM sways on mine for some reason never got around to do them I guess

and yeah I drove Kevin's sedan with the sways but I couldn't tell much difference at least not driving locally around town on side streets you know.. maybe if it was some sharper turns out in the backroads then I most likely would be able to tell the difference unless his sways weren't set to 3rd setting.

Last edited by Mik3G37S; 07-18-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:38 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
and yeah I drove Kevin's sedan with the sways but I couldn't tell much difference at least not driving locally around town streets you know.. maybe if it was some sharper turns out in the backroads then I most likely would be able to tell the difference...
You need to drive it more aggressively on turns and ramps in order to appreciate the improvement, and that's an awkward thing to do in someone else's car.

The 3 of us ought to get together before Kevin moves out west, if he hasn't already.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:05 AM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by Rochester
You need to drive it more aggressively on turns and ramps in order to appreciate the improvement, and that's an awkward thing to do in someone else's car.

The 3 of us ought to get together before Kevin moves out west, if he hasn't already.
Yeah exactly my point too... first I didn't really get a chance to drive it a little bit more aggressively because we were driving locally in my area where it was really congested at the time and the second is I wouldn't feel right driving aggressively in someone else's car but maybe just a little to get a hang of it...

Yeah we definitely should meet up... As far as I know he just moved locally in NJ recently couple weeks back so I'm pretty positive he hasn't moved out west YET. Haven't spoke to him in a while though , guy doesn't answer texts or anything
Old 07-18-2014, 10:39 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Leatherique - Step 1

It's Friday morning, almost 80* and sunny. I just applied about 1/3 of the 16 oz bottle of Leatherique Rejuvenater to the interior leather, front and back seats both. I poured the product into a bowl, and used a small sponge to lift and apply to one section at a time. And with surgical gloves on, I worked the oil into the leather by hand, according to the instructions.

It's going to sit there in the sun all day with the windows closed... also according to instructions. And then tomorrow morning I'm going to apply the Prestine Cleanear to the leather, and buff it all down dry.

MWUA-HA-HA-HA-HA-!!!

Old 07-18-2014, 12:28 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Yeah exactly my point too... first I didn't really get a chance to drive it a little bit more aggressively because we were driving locally in my area where it was really congested at the time and the second is I wouldn't feel right driving aggressively in someone else's car but maybe just a little to get a hang of it...

Yeah we definitely should meet up... As far as I know he just moved locally in NJ recently couple weeks back so I'm pretty positive he hasn't moved out west YET. Haven't spoke to him in a while though , guy doesn't answer texts or anything
It's about time for the mid-south meet guys
Old 07-18-2014, 01:50 PM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by RexHavoc

Not until I get my sedan dropped
Old 07-18-2014, 01:59 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
Not until I get my sedan dropped
I've got a couple of guys that would be interested in a meet close to KY.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:58 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by warped ideas
Opinions needed here. While doing an oil change I started looking at my "less than adequate diameter" mid pipes.... I looked around and found straight pipes that run from cats to the mufflers. Anybody have experience they want to share? A true dual exhaust with a 2.25" diameter from front to back would probably sound nice. My only real concern being rasp. I don't have it now but don't want to make a change that could induce rasp either.... Decisions decisions....
as others have stated it should have a **** ton of rasp, granted it depends on your overall setup as some combinations do better than others when it comes to tone. Id personally recommend some HFC instead, youll still get some nice gains from them and a less "likelyhood" of rasp.

rochester, waiting for your review of that leatherique...I too have ALWAYS used and recommend Lexol and have had great results imo....so anxious to see and hear about it.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:52 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
as others have stated it should have a **** ton of rasp, granted it depends on your overall setup as some combinations do better than others when it comes to tone. Id personally recommend some HFC instead, youll still get some nice gains from them and a less "likelyhood" of rasp.
I already have HFCs. The only bottle neck I'm seeing under my car are the middle pipes. I've seen on the Concept Z site GT Haus straight pipes. They aren't cheap but they go from cats to the mufflers.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:05 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by warped ideas
I already have HFCs. The only bottle neck I'm seeing under my car are the middle pipes. I've seen on the Concept Z site GT Haus straight pipes. They aren't cheap but they go from cats to the mufflers.
sorry didnt even read your sig....well if your planing or going a true dual exhaust and have your mind setup for the most part then I say go for it, but I just think it will be too much air being pushed out and will be raspy as hell. Hope i'm wrong but I wouldnt hold my breath
The following users liked this post:
warped ideas (07-18-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 04:17 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
sorry didnt even read your sig....well if your planing or going a true dual exhaust and have your mind setup for the most part then I say go for it, but I just think it will be too much air being pushed out and will be raspy as hell. Hope i'm wrong but I wouldnt hold my breath
I'm not convinced that it's a good decision and with a $1400 price tag it BETTER NOT CAUSE RASP!
Old 07-18-2014, 04:26 PM
nishfish871

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
At a $1400 price tag you might as well go FI or Ark
Old 07-18-2014, 06:38 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
well but paired up with lowering springs and they will be lowering the car for sure and if not then I guess I'll be changing my mind once again... I am not raising my car that's for sure I wanna lower it 1-1.5"..

I will get sways I will, promise ! :P now just got me thinking though... if konis with lowering springs wont actually lower my car about 1-1.5" from stock height then I will definitely reconsider this..
Konis + springs will lower your car, just not to the advertised rate. I would think getting a 1" drop would be easily possible.
The following users liked this post:
Mik3G37S (07-19-2014)

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread