G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 10:59 AM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
So I replaced my softer clutch spring back to stock and maaaan what a difference, I liked the softer one at first but man that thing sucked after my clutch leg got used to being the clutch leg... A whole world of difference maaan.. Now my shifts are smooth(er) and consistent. At this point I'm just wondering if I should even bother with RJM clutch pedal

Last edited by Mik3G37S; 07-17-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:10 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
So I replaced my softer clutch spring back to stock and maaaan what a difference, I liked the softer one at first but man that thing sucked after my clutch leg got used to being the clutch leg... A whole world of difference maaan.. Now my shifts are smooth(er) and consistent. At this point I'm just wondering if I should even bother with RJM clurdh pedal
You do whatever works for you, Mike. Personally, you're describing opposite-world observations to me, but more power to you, man.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by Rochester

You do whatever works for you, Mike. Personally, you're describing opposite-world observations to me, but more power to you, man.
Well at first I hated the stock spring(left leg not used to clutch) and when I got the softer one I liked it but then again only for sometime.. A month or 2 ago I drove Kevin's car with stock spring and I was amazed how much better the clutch with stock spring felt.. Few days back I drove my friends Q60S 6MT and I was also amazed how it felt versus my softer spring so I don't know what to tell You John, but it's sooo much better.. And I've read on this forum that quite few people actually went back to stock spring and liked it better..

Also keep in mind John that I daily my car, I dont drive it every few days, hence why the softer spring didn't feel right after driving the car for several months as daily..
Old 07-17-2014, 11:59 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Also keep in mind John that I daily my car, I dont drive it every few days, hence why the softer spring didn't feel right after driving the car for several months as daily..
I suppose there's a difference between driving the car all the time, and only driving it occasionally.

I was out driving last night, and there's this observation (unrelated) that I've been noticing this summer. Last summer, if I were pushing the car hard on familiar highway on-ramps, there was a very particular feel and speed to where the car would start to slip. This year, with the wider tires and Swift Springs (lowered w/neg camber), and four brand new PSS, that speed is noticeably higher, however instead of slipping it feels more jerky, like its skipping instead of sliding.

Granted, to get to that point takes a certain amount of risk, and more so now than last year. Just saying, *when* you get to the extent of the handling now, it feels like there's less control at that point then there used to be, even though that point is at a higher speed.

Weird.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-17-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:02 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
At this point I'm just wondering if I should even bother with RJM clutch pedal
This just puts you one step closer to getting coil overs.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:47 PM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by '11G37S
This just puts you one step closer to getting coil overs.
well yeah definitely, but It seems like I am finally sold on Koni yellow struts/shocks paired up with springs, either Eibach/H&R/Tein/Swift/or whatever else I forgot, that I will have to figure out which springs I'll go with later on. The struts/shocks have dampness adjustability paired up with some more aggressive springs will provide really good handling and I won't have to worry about removing coilovers for winter. That setup pretty much is the best bang for the buck considering good coilovers are one of the most expensive ones 2.5-3.5k(?) which are totally not in my budget and not worth buying for my needs..

and of course I'll have to get sway bars to improve handling completely after getting the shock/spring combo
Old 07-17-2014, 01:01 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
and of course I'll have to get sway bars to improve handling completely after getting the shock/spring combo
Same with me. I want to get the VFS2 coil overs and put winter tires on my coupe 19s first then next will be sways and RHFC.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:27 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I daily drive my car too, and thought the lighter spring made it significantly easier to drive. As long as your happy, but I can't imagine going back.

well yeah definitely, but It seems like I am finally sold on Koni yellow struts/shocks paired up with springs, either Eibach/H&R/Tein/Swift/or whatever else I forgot, that I will have to figure out which springs I'll go with later on. The struts/shocks have dampness adjustability paired up with some more aggressive springs will provide really good handling and I won't have to worry about removing coilovers for winter. That setup pretty much is the best bang for the buck considering good coilovers are one of the most expensive ones 2.5-3.5k(?) which are totally not in my budget and not worth buying for my needs..
Koni yellows and Swifts are my plan. I even joined the 370 board in order to keep an eye out for a gently used set

I spent about 3 hours detailing my cars interior today. Wiped all the plastic down, vacuumed it out and used Zanio Z9 leather cleaner and Z10 conditioner on the seats. I had done the same thing on Monday to my wife's MDX using LEXOL, and honestly, the Zanio came out looking better. Really happy with the way it turned out, and it was nice having some free time away from the kids to spend cleaning up the cars.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:12 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I spent about 3 hours detailing my cars interior today. Wiped all the plastic down, vacuumed it out and used Zanio Z9 leather cleaner and Z10 conditioner on the seats. I had done the same thing on Monday to my wife's MDX using LEXOL, and honestly, the Zanio came out looking better. Really happy with the way it turned out, and it was nice having some free time away from the kids to spend cleaning up the cars.
My shipment of Leatherique arrived today. Tomorrow morning I'm pulling it out into the sun, and going to generously run the conditioner into the seats. Then it's going to sit there all day long before applying the cleaner Saturday morning.

This should be interesting.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:25 PM
Mik3G37S

I daily drive my car too, and thought the lighter spring made it significantly easier to drive. As long as your happy, but I can't imagine going back.

Koni yellows and Swifts are my plan. I even joined the 370 board in order to keep an eye out for a gently used set

Well daily driving my car made my left leg completely stronger and used to clutch and honestly the lighter spring made it significantly better at first but after couple months not so much. Now my clutch pedal is consistent and shifts are so smooth and consistent and now I can really but really shift smoothly while doing it quickly.

And yeah konis it is for sure finally made my mind up.. No need for height adjustment at this point as I am not going to slam the car and I'm not going to spend 2.5-3k on the really good coilovers,that don't go bad quickly either. I just gotta figure out which springs, because reading many of the reviews on Swifts I kinda keep thinking they are too soft.. Aldo gotta take into consideration how much each set of springs lowers the car
Old 07-17-2014, 10:04 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Well daily driving my car made my left leg completely stronger and used to clutch and honestly the lighter spring made it significantly better at first but after couple months not so much. Now my clutch pedal is consistent and shifts are so smooth and consistent and now I can really but really shift smoothly while doing it quickly.

And yeah konis it is for sure finally made my mind up.. No need for height adjustment at this point as I am not going to slam the car and I'm not going to spend 2.5-3k on the really good coilovers,that don't go bad quickly either. I just gotta figure out which springs, because reading many of the reviews on Swifts I kinda keep thinking they are too soft.. Aldo gotta take into consideration how much each set of springs lowers the car
The lowering part is hard, since konis actually seem to raise the car. Not a whole lot of people rocking konis on sedans.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:28 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
My shipment of Leatherique arrived today. Tomorrow morning I'm pulling it out into the sun, and going to generously run the conditioner into the seats. Then it's going to sit there all day long before applying the cleaner Saturday morning.

curious to see how you like it.
Im a bit of a noob when it comes to interior cleaning and always have had a hard time finding a product that works.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:09 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts

Definitely get sways Mike! It changes the handling of the car in a big way. You'll like the Koni Yellows too! I actually want to tune my rear shocks a bit firmer. I think I'm at 2/3 of a turn from full soft. The problem is that I'll have to drop them out to adjust. That's the only drawback though if you're wanting to dial it in with multiple adjustments.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:17 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts

+1 on your review of the Leatherique.

Mike I'm with you on that. I had been almost pretty much set on Swifts until I heard Rochester say that they're pretty much identical to the stock sport springs. I'm looking for a little bit more taut-ness than stock...maybe to the tune of 15-20%

The lowering part is hard, since konis actually seem to raise the car. Not a whole lot of people rocking konis on sedans.
That is true. The Koni Yellows raise the front about 3/4" to 1" for some reason that I am not sure why. I didn't notice any raising of the rear though. The before and after measurements were identical.

Maybe Eibach pro kit springs to lower by about 1.2" would fit the bill.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:37 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
I just put the swifts on mine and while it's given me the stance that I wanted now I'm questioning it a bit. Car handles a bit better than stock for certain but I'm thinking since I can't go Konis I'm just going to move forward with coils after all. For some reason I'm also finding that I'm driving a bit more aggressively than usual. I don't know if it's because I wasn't driving for a week or what.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread