G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 07:37 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
On a side note, I've spent all day rebuilding a carburetor for my father's 94 Heritage Softail. Man are those things a pain to get off the bike. The rebuild is easy - almost like any other carburetor. But, getting them on and off the bike is just frustrating LOL. After all this cleaning it's inspired me to pull my TBs off and clean those, as well as the MAF sensors as I have been talking about. I'd like everything to be nominal before I go to get my tune. Clean parts and sensors, new fluids, etc...

I'm also contemplating on removing the resonators from my x-pipe for my FI exhaust. I'd like to have this thing louder. I know a tune will help out with that but I love noise and I think the non-resonated exhaust will sound nice. I'm sure the x-pipe cost is astronomical from FI and then I'll have to wait for it. Swapping in a pipe is easy peasy.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:04 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by gsm026
So ... looking at doing a series of performance mods for my 6MT sedan. I have two kids in college so this is going to be over a couple of years. Here is what I'm thinking:

Long tube CAI - Stillen Gen 3
Catback exhaust - Stillen or FI
(Maybe) Hi-Flow CATs - Stillen or FI
Sways - Hotchkiss
(Maybe) a dyno tune when done

There are tons of opinions and a lot of information in the forums - enough that it's hard to sort out. Out of these, which do you guys think I should start with to get the most bang for the buck? Still debating the high-flow CAT and tune due to the emissions testing situation here. The catback exhaust is as much for sound as performance. My 6MT doesn't sound anywhere near as good as my xS used to.

Thanks,
Greg
I would start with sways or exhaust.

IMO, save the intake for last, if at all. The factory setup is essentially a CAI, drawing air from a seal in the front bumper area. Unless of course, you want noise or engine bling.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,707 Likes on 3,515 Posts
Out of these, which do you guys think I should start with to get the most bang for the buck?
Sways. No doubt about it.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:25 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Lego,

No interest in engine bling. Looking for power and sound; the 6MT is too quiet. I agree that the factory intake with two throttle bodies is already very good. The Stillen Gen 3 has well documented gains over stock, but I couldn't tell you why its better. On the road I could see it (the Gen 3 filters are in the high pressure area in front of the radiator), but that wouldn't show up on a dyno.

HF Cats seem to be the number one thing for performance, and if I'm going to do that it would be with an exhaust. The Mustang and Camaro forums say that HF Cats generally pass the Colorado visual exam (as long as it doesn't throw a CEL), but the actual dyno test tends to fail about 2/3 of the time. So if I do the HF Cats I'll have to swap the OEM ones back in every 2 years. I have access to a lift but still a PITA.

Curious - I see you have Eibach. I think Rochester does too. Why choose those over Hotchkiss?

Thanks,
Greg
Old 05-17-2014, 10:05 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I spent a lot of time on the370z.com reading up on intakes and the theory was that the stillens lean out the car in order to pick up their power. I'd suggest reading up over there where guys measure iat and otherwise get pretty in depth on intake research. Plus, the install on the stillens and maintenance sounds like a pain. That said, if you want to chase every last hp the stillens are better than the warm air alternatives.

I got eibachs mostly based on price. I dont think slight changes to diameter is going to make a significant difference.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:28 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Nice job on the trim & cans Lego. I knew you could do it! As far as vinyl on the grill, should be pretty straightforward and only take another 1x5 ft section (leaving enough left over for a couple re-dos). With those sharp ends on the grill slats you'd surely need some heat and a tight stretch to eliminate any bunching.
I'm starting to think I should just ship you my grille Brad... Along with a case of beer or good bottle of whisky or whiskey...
Old 05-17-2014, 10:42 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
I'm starting to think I should just ship you my grille Brad... Along with a case of beer or good bottle of whisky or whiskey...
I've wrapped two other grills that were sent to me but they were 07-09 version, so I'd be wrapping in uncharted territory
Old 05-17-2014, 10:52 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

So ... looking at doing a series of performance mods for my 6MT sedan. I have two kids in college so this is going to be over a couple of years. Here is what I'm thinking:

Long tube CAI - Stillen Gen 3
Catback exhaust - Stillen or FI
(Maybe) Hi-Flow CATs - Stillen or FI
Sways - Hotchkiss
(Maybe) a dyno tune when done

There are tons of opinions and a lot of information in the forums - enough that it's hard to sort out. Out of these, which do you guys think I should start with to get the most bang for the buck? Still debating the high-flow CAT and tune due to the emissions testing situation here. The catback exhaust is as much for sound as performance. My 6MT doesn't sound anywhere near as good as my xS used to.

Thanks,
Greg
Personally I would go HFCs then sways. I went both at the same time but after a bunch of other stuff. For my dollars spent those were my top two but the intake was worth it just for the sound IMO. I went FI for RHFCs and CBE and R2C. I may go gen 3 before I get a tune I don't know though.

Originally Posted by connoisseurr
I'm also contemplating on removing the resonators from my x-pipe for my FI exhaust. I'd like to have this thing louder. I know a tune will help out with that but I love noise and I think the non-resonated exhaust will sound nice. I'm sure the x-pipe cost is astronomical from FI and then I'll have to wait for it. Swapping in a pipe is easy peasy.
Talk to Lance, I think he's at ZDAYZ now but I don't think the x-pipe was too much IIRC. Probably would have to wait though. I wish I knew what the difference in our sounds was. I'm seriously starting to wonder if I may have a leak. But I'm not getting any hiss except for the decel. She's definitely loud though.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:57 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
I've wrapped two other grills that were sent to me but they were 07-09 version, so I'd be wrapping in uncharted territory
I trust you to chart a good course!
Old 05-17-2014, 10:59 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Has anyone seen Natalie's new video of a couple of drive by's with the GTHaus?

http://instagram.com/p/oHIj_9Bcr6/
Old 05-17-2014, 11:16 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by '11G37S

Instagram
Damn... When is that part out gonna be?!
Old 05-17-2014, 11:18 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
Damn... When is that part out gonna be?!
I think 9 months and counting... haha. If I had $3k laying around I would probably buy it, but life happens... and student loans...

Last edited by '11G37S; 05-17-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:32 PM
Motoboat

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

http://instagram.com/p/oHIj_9Bcr6/
Wow, just awesome.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:23 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

I think 9 months and counting... haha. If I had $3k laying around I would probably buy it, but life happens... and student loans...
Tell me about it. Just dropped 8k for one class... Dammit
Old 05-18-2014, 08:30 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,707 Likes on 3,515 Posts
Curious - I see you have Eibach. I think Rochester does too. Why choose those over Hotchkiss?
I was planning on Hotchkis, but then a barely used set of Eibachs became available, and I snagged them.

I really don't think it matters what make you buy. Hotchkis, Eibachs, Whiteline... Whatever. Just upgrade your sways. If you like to toss your car around hard, this is the best mod for the money.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread