G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 10:26 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Pics of my somewhat clean car with gloss black window trim and a shot of the rear with the Invidia exhaust and color matched OE spoiler.

Thinking about vinyl wrapping the remaining chrome slats on the grille. Opinions??
Looks good sir, nicely done.

I had my grille painted and I liked it though it really quiets down the nose of the car. With the chrome Mt Fuji and the chrome on the lights I think you'd be okay though and won't look murdered like mine does.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:29 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Nice job on the trim & cans Lego. I knew you could do it! As far as vinyl on the grill, should be pretty straightforward and only take another 1x5 ft section (leaving enough left over for a couple re-dos). With those sharp ends on the grill slats you'd surely need some heat and a tight stretch to eliminate any bunching.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (05-17-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 10:36 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
My plan is to wrap the trim and spray the grill. Hopefully it comes out alright.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:55 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
My plan is to wrap the trim and spray the grill. Hopefully it comes out alright.
Just watch your following distance. I picked up some nasty chips recently.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,707 Likes on 3,515 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
Just watch your following distance. I picked up some nasty chips recently.
That's true. You went from murdered to mottled, in one easy road trip.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:06 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Rochester
That's true. You went from murdered to mottled, in one easy road trip.
Ouch! I went from murdered to mottled to T-boned then back to murdered, but the road trip wasn't quite as easy
Old 05-17-2014, 06:29 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Ouch! I went from murdered to mottled to T-boned then back to murdered, but the road trip wasn't quite as easy
Brad you got rid of that target right?!?

I'm definitely mottled now, chips all over the hood as well. I was hoping to get it all touched up today but it's raining so we'll see when I can get it done. It's starting to look more and more like a full repaint one of these days. Then the next questions becomes if I'm going to paint do I stay with the original color and paint... That's way down the road though.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:49 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Brad you got rid of that target right?!?

I'm definitely mottled now, chips all over the hood as well. I was hoping to get it all touched up today but it's raining so we'll see when I can get it done. It's starting to look more and more like a full repaint one of these days. Then the next questions becomes if I'm going to paint do I stay with the original color and paint... That's way down the road though.
The hood? I mean, I can understand the grille, because you just painted it. But why is your hood all messed up all of a sudden?

Is it because of the 3K miles of road trip you just put on the car? Geeze, that sucks, Chris.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:13 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

The hood? I mean, I can understand the grille, because you just painted it. But why is your hood all messed up all of a sudden?

Is it because of the 3K miles of road trip you just put on the car? Geeze, that sucks, Chris.
The hood was covered in chips (8 - 10) when I got home, I think it was from driving in the storm leaving NYC but I'm not certain.

Yeah, it's almost all from the road trip. I had two chips in the grille that I had touched up before I left and actually ran through the entire car with the touch up paint before detailing. These are all new unfortunately. Damn cheap paint.

Ah well, it was a good trip and great to meet everyone. Going to have to practice my taping skills for future trips though.

I was thinking about your recent event, do you think lowering the car had anything to do with that John? I only ask because I was looking at my car after I parked last night when I got home and I started wondering if I would have to learn how to park all over again if I were to lower mine.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I was thinking about your recent event, do you think lowering the car had anything to do with that John? I only ask because I was looking at my car after I parked last night when I got home and I started wondering if I would have to learn how to park all over again if I were to lower mine.
Nope, not at all.

I pulled into a parking spot at the end of a row, where the left side of the spot was nothing but curb. I swung into the spot as a right-hand turn-in, and the left corner of the bumper clipped the cement. That would have happened whether I was lowered or not. It's the kind of parking spot that I would normally make a couple of passes to do properly tight to the curb, but I thought I judged it properly. Apparently not.

After two weeks, I can honestly say that my only concern about being lowered on Swifts is my driveway. I'm relatively OK right now, but come winter it's going to be a real PITA, unless I keep the entire width of the driveway entrance cleared so that I can hit it at the same severe angle that I have to do now. Seriously, if I'm going too slow at this angle, then one of the rear wheels is off the ground. That's how much of an angle I have to be at, and how severe the rise.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:31 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

I pulled into a parking spot at the end of a row, where the left side of the spot was nothing but curb. I swung into the spot as a right-hand turn-in, and the left corner of the bumper clipped the cement. That would have happened whether I was lowered or not. It's the kind of parking spot that I would normally make a couple of passes to do properly tight to the curb, but I thought I judged it properly. Apparently not.

After two weeks, I can honestly say that my only concern about being lowered on Swifts is my driveway. I'm relatively OK right now, but come winter it's going to be a real PITA, unless I keep the entire width of the driveway entrance cleared so that I can hit it at the same severe angle that I have to do now. Seriously, if I'm going too slow at this angle, then one of the rear wheels is off the ground. That's how much of an angle I have to be at, and how severe the rise.
That blows man, hopefully the fix will be simple and inexpensive. I know you mentioned a roof wing, I got an email from Stillen that they're having a Memorial Day sale. STILLEN Roof Wing KB11844 | STILLEN

That's the one I got but it's says 2010-2012, I imagine it might fit though?

That's a heck of an angle man. Hopefully the winter won't be as harsh as last year was.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:32 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Seriously, if I'm going too slow at this angle, then one of the rear wheels is off the ground. That's how much of an angle I have to be at, and how severe the rise.
Lol, welcome to my world
Tough to keep these cars immaculate, I've had a few mishaps where I thought my navigation was proper only to hear something scrape, especially pre-coilover when I was a bit lower.

Sorry toi hear about that hood Chris, mine probably had about 60 chips prior to the T-bone, just never experienced such brittle paint. Definitely a learning curve w/ my driving habits (thanks Rochester )just to keep paint on these cars. I know the low VOC paint processes are mainly to blame but something else w/ Infiniti paint isn't up to par. The butter soft clear coat combined w/ the brittle base coat and probably not the best base primer all combine for a rather delicate finish

I'd imagine the rough winter you guys dealt with left a lot of debris on the roads, just open season I'm afraid
Old 05-17-2014, 08:45 AM
Rochester
Administrator

hopefully the fix will be simple and inexpensive.
I'm going to sand the area this weekend, mask it off and throw on some white primer... at which point I doubt anyone would ever notice except me. After that, I'll decide how to proceed with the actual paint (QAA).

$189 sale price on that Stillen wing... argh!
Old 05-17-2014, 06:48 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
So ... looking at doing a series of performance mods for my 6MT sedan. I have two kids in college so this is going to be over a couple of years. Here is what I'm thinking:

Long tube CAI - Stillen Gen 3
Catback exhaust - Stillen or FI
(Maybe) Hi-Flow CATs - Stillen or FI
Sways - Hotchkiss
(Maybe) a dyno tune when done

There are tons of opinions and a lot of information in the forums - enough that it's hard to sort out. Out of these, which do you guys think I should start with to get the most bang for the buck? Still debating the high-flow CAT and tune due to the emissions testing situation here. The catback exhaust is as much for sound as performance. My 6MT doesn't sound anywhere near as good as my xS used to.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 05-17-2014, 07:31 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by gsm026
So ... looking at doing a series of performance mods for my 6MT sedan. I have two kids in college so this is going to be over a couple of years. Here is what I'm thinking:

Long tube CAI - Stillen Gen 3
Catback exhaust - Stillen or FI
(Maybe) Hi-Flow CATs - Stillen or FI
Sways - Hotchkiss
(Maybe) a dyno tune when done

There are tons of opinions and a lot of information in the forums - enough that it's hard to sort out. Out of these, which do you guys think I should start with to get the most bang for the buck? Still debating the high-flow CAT and tune due to the emissions testing situation here. The catback exhaust is as much for sound as performance. My 6MT doesn't sound anywhere near as good as my xS used to.

Thanks,
Greg
I'd start with Sways. Do you plan on getting springs or coilovers at all? I opted for the OEM G37 Coupe IPL sway bar and I love the inexpensive upgrade out of that.

Second mod I would do would be RHFC or Intake. Here's my opinion. Put your name on the list for RHFC, pay your deposit (if they do that for the HFCs) and then go buy an intake. It'll take at least 8 weeks for your RHFCs to be completed. That way you have some mods spaced out with funding and what not.

I think that's the best way to start IMO.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread