G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 12:38 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr
I read some of you guys getting trans & diff fluid replaced... Is this something that could be recommended for a 7AT or is it more for manuals? My trans is all over the place while shifting and I'm wondering if it's time to just swap in fresh fluids...

Thoughts, everyone?
It certainly wouldn't hurt to change the transmission fluid. I recently replaced the transmission fluid as part of the 30K service on my wife's MDX, and even she commented that it is smoother. The difference is particularly noticeable on downshifts.

Originally Posted by Rochester
I did something similar about 6 years ago, pulling my lawn mower out of the garage and scraping the heck out of the front bumper on my other car. Lesson learned there: my ancient, little garage is for cars, not lawn mowers.
Ouch. Can you get touch up paint in a spray can from Infiniti?

I brushed into a ladder getting to my garage the other day and just caught it from falling on my car. It's one of those little giants, so it would have been a heavy hit on the front fender. On this weekends to-do list is to add some bungee-cords as an extra layer of security.

If my wife was a better driver, I'd take the 2 car bay and let her have the single bay, but that would be a recipe to lose both of her side view mirrors real quick. I know, first world problems and all that
Old 05-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,707 Likes on 3,515 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Can you get touch up paint in a spray can from Infiniti?
I don't think so, but IDK... can you? Anybody?
Old 05-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

I don't think so, but IDK... can you? Anybody?
2011 Infiniti G37 Touch Up Paint - Colors for 2011 Infiniti G37

IDK what kinda match it is, but they list it by paint code
Old 05-16-2014, 01:06 PM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
There is a company that mixes up the factory paint code and gives you a bottle of clear that is in a spray can and you can use that for touch ups.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:51 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
John, I have guys local who can mix Moonlight White and load it into a spray can for you? It's essentially a can that has a bladder on the bottom - you squeeze the bladder to pressurize the can and then you can spray it on. Once you pressurize the can, you have to use it within ~30 hours of pressurization. I can see about mailing you one if there aren't any shops around you that will do it for you.

It works great. It's a great way to get an OEM color onto a part without having to go through getting an entire panel repainted.
The following 2 users liked this post by connoisseurr:
twin_snails (05-16-2014), warped ideas (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 03:55 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
John, I have guys local who can mix Moonlight White and load it into a spray can for you? It's essentially a can that has a bladder on the bottom - you squeeze the bladder to pressurize the can and then you can spray it on. Once you pressurize the can, you have to use it within ~30 hours of pressurization. I can see about mailing you one if there aren't any shops around you that will do it for you.

It works great. It's a great way to get an OEM color onto a part without having to go through getting an entire panel repainted.
That's cool.... I did not know of this, and I WILL use this if I run across the need.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:05 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts
Has anyone cleaned their MAF sensor yet? My dealership recommended an "Induction service" which is pure nonsense - just another reason to try to get $100 out of my pocket. I planned on getting a can of MAF cleaner and throttle body cleaner and taking care of those guys thoroughly. I'll probably reset the computer as well and see if that does anything as well.

I read some of you guys getting trans & diff fluid replaced... Is this something that could be recommended for a 7AT or is it more for manuals? My trans is all over the place while shifting and I'm wondering if it's time to just swap in fresh fluids...

Thoughts, everyone?
I haven't cleaned the MAF yet. Do they basically just spray the MAF cleaner over the wire in the MAF sensor?

I had the trans fluid flush mainly because I have a hard time believing that it's a "lifetime" fluid. We all know that fluids break down over time so that was my main reason for having it done.

TBH, I haven't noticed any difference with the transmission fluid flush. Just peace of mine knowing that I have new fluid in the 7AT.

Some have said that TB cleaning helps out with the funky shifting. That and maybe see if there's a newer (than what you have) TCM software update for your car. I've heard that dealers are reluctant to just apply new TCM firmware just for the sake of doing it. Generally you have to come in with an issue with the shifting and such to have them do it.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:10 PM
PERMAT

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Has anyone cleaned their MAF sensor yet? My dealership recommended an "Induction service" which is pure nonsense - just another reason to <i>try</i> to get $100 out of my pocket. I planned on getting a can of MAF cleaner and throttle body cleaner and taking care of those guys thoroughly. I'll probably reset the computer as well and see if that does anything as well.<br />
<br />
I read some of you guys getting trans &amp; diff fluid replaced... Is this something that could be recommended for a 7AT or is it more for manuals? My trans is all over the place while shifting and I'm wondering if it's time to just swap in fresh fluids...<br />
<br />
Thoughts, everyone?
<br />
I cleaned my MAF with CRC MAF cleaner. Just pulse the spray ~10x ~6" from the sensor.<br />
<br />
Replaced my differential and x-fer case fluid ~45k miles with Redline.<br />
<br />
I plan on taking my car to the dealer for a transmission fluid drain and refill only.

Edit: Forgot to mention the 2 pack MAF and throttle body cleaner @Walmart. I believe it was <$10
Old 05-16-2014, 05:00 PM
nishfish871

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
I haven't cleaned the MAF yet. Do they basically just spray the MAF cleaner over the wire in the MAF sensor?

I had the trans fluid flush mainly because I have a hard time believing that it's a "lifetime" fluid. We all know that fluids break down over time so that was my main reason for having it done.

TBH, I haven't noticed any difference with the transmission fluid flush. Just peace of mine knowing that I have new fluid in the 7AT.

Some have said that TB cleaning helps out with the funky shifting. That and maybe see if there's a newer (than what you have) TCM software update for your car. I've heard that dealers are reluctant to just apply new TCM firmware just for the sake of doing it. Generally you have to come in with an issue with the shifting and such to have them do it.
I just had the TCM updated and it initially feels great but then within a few days it started resorting to the high gear low speed and not wanting out of it when you need it most. On the good side, the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are much much smoother and less laggy (didnt think both were possible).
Old 05-16-2014, 05:12 PM
Rochester
Administrator

That's kind of you, Connor. Thing is, Moonlight White is a three stage paint: base coat, top coat and clear coat. Can't do it with just one can.

IDK. The problem is still fresh, so I'm not rushing into solutions just yet. Like I said earlier, I might just get this done professionally at the same time I get a Roof Wing painted. And if I go that route, then it will wait until deep into June, after I get back from vacation.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:57 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
That's kind of you, Connor. Thing is, Moonlight White is a three stage paint: base coat, top coat and clear coat. Can't do it with just one can.
It works so you don't have to do three coats, but only two. The formula is mixed with a base coat and a top coat - you spray that on and it will be a pretty damn close match. I'm sure even closer for you since the car has seen zero sunlight LOL.

You would the by some clear to go on top of that, I'd recommend a can of 2k. I've actually painted front and rear lips on a few cars in the past using this method and the results were astonishing. For spending ~60 in paint, the job can be done yourself.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:18 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Pics of my somewhat clean car with gloss black window trim and a shot of the rear with the Invidia exhaust and color matched OE spoiler.

Thinking about vinyl wrapping the remaining chrome slats on the grille. Opinions??
Attached Thumbnails Sedan Chat Thread-windowtrim1.jpg   Sedan Chat Thread-windowtrim2.jpg   Sedan Chat Thread-windowtrim5.jpg   Sedan Chat Thread-rear.jpg  
Old 05-16-2014, 08:57 PM
Rochester
Administrator

It works so you don't have to do three coats, but only two. The formula is mixed with a base coat and a top coat - you spray that on and it will be a pretty damn close match. I'm sure even closer for you since the car has seen zero sunlight LOL.

You would the by some clear to go on top of that, I'd recommend a can of 2k. I've actually painted front and rear lips on a few cars in the past using this method and the results were astonishing. For spending ~60 in paint, the job can be done yourself.
I suppose since it's a lower corner and such a small area... you know, what the heck. PM me for details, please. Thanks, man.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Pics of my somewhat clean car with gloss black window trim and a shot of the rear with the Invidia exhaust and color matched OE spoiler.

Thinking about vinyl wrapping the remaining chrome slats on the grille. Opinions??
That trim looks extremely good in these photos. Well done. Are you happy with the close-up details?

Nice job on the exhaust. Invidia cans look better black, and the tips are fine.

You know, I usually think painting the trunk chrome is a fantastic look, and on yours it looks better than otherwise. But for some reason, it looks stunted on black. Hmm.

Ah, duckfeet...
Old 05-16-2014, 10:01 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

[Rochester;3779538]That trim looks extremely good in these photos. Well done. Are you happy with the close-up details?

Nice job on the exhaust. Invidia cans look better black, and the tips are fine.

You know, I usually think painting the trunk chrome is a fantastic look, and on yours it looks better than otherwise. But for some reason, it looks stunted on black. Hmm.

Ah, duckfeet... [/QUOTE]

It looks pretty good up close, if a professional job was 100% I would grade this a 96%. It came out great, no ripples or bubbles. My cuts by the mirrors could have been better, but you would almost need to fold them away to see.

I actually kinda like the duckfeet

I could conceivably see picking up some coupe 19s some day. There was a set in Atlanta that was tempting me

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread