G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 10:34 AM
nishfish871

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Has anyone noticed any tire cupping/whirling sounds? Just had the car checked at the dealer for wheel bearings but they said it is tire cupping. Sounds like I need alignment/rotation/balancing with the front set high for toe in. These tires have tons of life left in them.

Has anyone thought about running long tube headers?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:10 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,707 Likes on 3,515 Posts
Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
You've heard them in person, does it?
I think so. Drove Connor's 7AT, and Kevin's 6MT... both with the FI catback. The 7AT seemed more quiet, but I had just gotten out of Albert's 6MT with the ARK setup, so the comparison between the two was significant. Plut, the 7AT isn't tuned.

The FI cat-back is completely live-able in the cabin. If anything, it could be louder (for me).

The full ARK setup, tuned, makes the G sound like a musclecar with an aftermarket cam. I know that's kind of a stretch, but still... so-o-o sexy.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:00 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
It wasn't tone I was talking about, rather loudness in cabin. I want my exhaust to make noise at low speeds but I don't want it obnoxious either. One thing that worries me about the FI is that it does not retain the VQ sound. You've heard them in person, does it?
The Ark system has a great tone to it and I can't wait to hear what it sounds like paired up to FI RHFCs. There is someone who is local to me who will have this same setup and I'm eager to hear what it sounds like. I too didn't choose Ark because of the following:
  • They are made in Taiwan in large batches and don't have much quality control. I've read horror stories of folks installing there systems and having alignment issues with the tubing
  • FI makes each order to spec and test fits each piece before shipping
  • The burnt tips were too large and didn't do it for me. I like the polished look
  • FI has the nice baffled tip and they are perfect size IMO
  • The Ark system does hang a bit too low for my liking
  • FI's system is just right - I could easly drop another inch and never have an issue with this system dragging anywhere
Originally Posted by Rochester
I think so. Drove Connor's 7AT, and Kevin's 6MT... both with the FI catback. The 7AT seemed more quiet, but I had just gotten out of Albert's 6MT with the ARK setup, so the comparison between the two was significant. Plut, the 7AT isn't tuned.

The FI cat-back is completely live-able in the cabin. If anything, it could be louder (for me).

The full ARK setup, tuned, makes the G sound like a musclecar with an aftermarket cam. I know that's kind of a stretch, but still... so-o-o sexy.
Also the 7AT (7 auto tragic, as Mike puts it - which is really true) is limp, in general. The shift timing and shift points are all over the place and it can get quite annoying when you want the car to move. As for the tone, Kevin's FI 18" RES'd exhaust sounded very similar to the FI 12" RES'd I have - I'm hoping the EcuTek tune I'm getting in a few weeks will make my system really pop.

The tuner I have spoke with assured me the 7AT will become "alive" once the tune is completed. He has tuned over 50 different vehicles with EcuTek and has even modified it for a few Mercedes to work as their transmissions encounter lazy attitudes just like the G37's 7AT. Very excited to see what happens there.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:25 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr
The Ark system has a great tone to it and I can't wait to hear what it sounds like paired up to FI RHFCs. There is someone who is local to me who will have this same setup and I'm eager to hear what it sounds like. I too didn't choose Ark because of the following:
  • They are made in Taiwan in large batches and don't have much quality control. I've read horror stories of folks installing there systems and having alignment issues with the tubing
  • The burnt tips were too large and didn't do it for me. I like the polished look
  • FI's system is just right - I could easly drop another inch and never have an issue with this system dragging anywhere
Thanks man and these are some of the same reasons I went with the FI. My question is, if I want it loud do I drop the resonators all together or stick with the 12? Keep in mind high flow cats will not be installed.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

IDK about quality issues. Not exposed yet to "horror stories". Is that hyperbole?

Tips are irrelevant. Get your own, hand them to a skilled welder. (That's my plan.)

AFAIK, the "hanging low" comments are because of the humongous tips, not the piping itself.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:55 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Thanks man and these are some of the same reasons I went with the FI. My question is, if I want it loud do I drop the resonators all together or stick with the 12? Keep in mind high flow cats will not be installed.
I recall you ordered the FI CBE with X-pipe and 12" resonators? If that's the case, call FI up and order an X-pipe w/o resonators and install that. I personally wouldn't just chop the resonators out and weld in a pipe on each side.

IDK about quality issues. Not exposed yet to "horror stories". Is that hyperbole?

Tips are irrelevant. Get your own, hand them to a skilled welder. (That's my plan.)

AFAIK, the "hanging low" comments are because of the humongous tips, not the piping itself.
No sir on the hyperbole. There were a lot of comments about fitment on the 350z platform and I've read a few posts for the Infiniti family. Also, my tech stated that he's installed a few ark systems and has encountered irregular consistencies during production. Some fit better than others.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:14 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

I recall you ordered the FI CBE with X-pipe and 12" resonators? If that's the case, call FI up and order an X-pipe w/o resonators and install that. I personally wouldn't just chop the resonators out and weld in a pipe on each side.

Yes, that's what I ordered. Will it really make that big a difference going without resonators to 12?
Old 05-14-2014, 03:25 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Yes, that's what I ordered. Will it really make that big a difference going without resonators to 12?
This I am not too sure of. I have yet to hear a FI unresonated system so there isn't any basis to go off of. Now I will say, the size of the resonators will provide a good amount of noise cancellation so there will definitely be a noticeable difference. An even bigger difference will be noticed if one were to use FI RHFCs + unres'd FI CBE.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:46 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

This I am not too sure of. I have yet to hear a FI unresonated system so there isn't any basis to go off of. Now I will say, the size of the resonators will provide a good amount of noise cancellation so there will definitely be a noticeable difference. An even bigger difference will be noticed if one were to use FI RHFCs + unres'd FI CBE.
More decisions.......
Old 05-14-2014, 04:06 PM
Rochester
Administrator

More decisions.......
That's why I started with the cats first, rather than the cat-back. Just seemed to make more sense modding the exhaust outward. Baby steps.

Plus, as far as being a power-mod goes on this car, cats > catback, IMO.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:55 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts
I know this is a 370Z but I have this identical FI setup on order with Lance for my sedan. I loved the sound on Lance's setup on his Z so I went with it. Default size for sedan piping is 2.25". I've upgraded to 2.5" with new X-pipe and no resonators and resonated HFC's.

I'm pretty excited for it to get here. I think it will be a unique setup for a sedan AFAIK. I plan on doing a full review with a video of the sound once I get it installed.

Here's how it sounds with a normal take off and then a full throttle take off:

Old 05-14-2014, 06:01 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Originally Posted by twin_snails
I know this is a 370Z but I have this identical FI setup on order with Lance for my sedan. I loved the sound on Lance's setup on his Z so I went with it. Default size for sedan piping is 2.25". I've upgraded to 2.5" with new X-pipe and no resonators and resonated HFC's.

I'm pretty excited for it to get here. I think it will be a unique setup for a sedan AFAIK. I plan on doing a full review with a video of the sound once I get it installed.

1cleanZ - Fast Intentions RHFCs paired with SS Catback - COLD START - YouTube

Here's how it sounds with a normal take off and then a full throttle take off:

1cleanZ - Fast Intentions RHFC paired with SS Catback - YouTube
I don't mean to be a cyber bully but the coupe/Z exhaust note will be completely different than what a sedan will sound like - mostly due to length of exhaust and the difference in muffler style. Round canisters on Z/G coupe versus the oval cylinders the sedan used. My neighbor has this exact setup on her Z and I can verify it's definitely loud. Not as loud as her old HKS setup but that was because she had an H-pipe with that setup.

It's is a similar exhaust note but the Z/G coupe setup will be slightly louder than the G sedan with the identical setup in the video.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:13 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts
^^

Connor, I agree that it will sound a bit different. I've talked with Lance at length on this and he said my sound will be very close to what's in his video. I posted the Z video because I've yet to find any sedans that are running a non-resonated X-pipe, on youtube at least. Also (mistakenly) thought that you had not heard a non-resonated FI setup.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I don't mean to be a cyber bully...
You are a cyber bully. A trail of broken dreams and salty tears everywhere you go.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:37 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

You are a cyber bully. A trail of broken dreams and salty tears everywhere you go.
Hey that's not very nice....

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread