Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

People buy it and break it down into quarts
Old 05-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Lego, how many quarts of transmission gear oil for the VQ37HT?

You got me thinking on doing the Red-Line MT-85 swap on the car this summer.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:28 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Lego, how many quarts of transmission gear oil for the VQ37HT?

You got me thinking on doing the Red-Line MT-85 swap on the car this summer.
I'm not exactly sure. The owners manual conveniently doesn't say. I put in a little less than 4 quarts. Just keep filling until it starts dripping out the fill plug.

Remember you need new crush washers for the drain and fill plugs.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I'm not exactly sure. The owners manual conveniently doesn't say. I put in a little less than 4 quarts. Just keep filling until it starts dripping out the fill plug.

Remember you need new crush washers for the drain and fill plugs.
I suppose one measurement is that you put in whatever you take out.

This might actually be something I'd go to the dealership for. The Nissan dealership I used to frequent sold Red-Line products. Couldn't hurt to make a call and inquire about that option.

Thanks for the heads-up. It's on The List (capital "L")
Old 05-11-2014, 03:36 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
^^^^

We've corrupted you, you're modding like a mad man now!
Old 05-11-2014, 03:40 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

I suppose one measurement is that you put in whatever you take out.

This might actually be something I'd go to the dealership for. The Nissan dealership I used to frequent sold Red-Line products. Couldn't hurt to make a call and inquire about that option.

Thanks for the heads-up. It's on The List (capital "L")

It started leaking out the fill hole somewhere between the 3rd and 4th quart. I had left the pan under there to catch it.

Edit: Black Betty says 3 quarts https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ssion-oil.html

Glad I could add to The List

All this has got me thinking....I should do the rear differential when I tighten things up and touch up the paint.

Last edited by Lego_Maniac; 05-11-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:05 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Allows independent control of your fog lights.

Exhaust: I think everyone knows the Invidia Q300 is one of the more quiet cat-back exhausts, and that is exactly what I wanted. I've had exhausts that set off car alarms, and I wasn't looking for that.
I wouldn't really agree, well it may be one of the more quiet ones but honestly, paired up with my Berk HFCs, it's not obnoxiously loud but DEFINITELY noticeable especially on side streets between cars? last night I even set off an alarm for the first time on a side street and I've been told when I downshift my friend can hear me like from like at least 5+ blocks away. Pair it up with Berk HFCs and You will see what I'm talking about, I love it

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
That's how I used to run my PIAAs, I tapped into the parking lights and they stayed on as long as I kept them switched on.

That how I use to run my fogs with parking lights... but that has been temporarily until I eventually get the fog light module
Old 05-11-2014, 04:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
We've corrupted you, you're modding like a mad man now!
IDK if that qualifies as a "mod", Havoc. I suppose it does... not exactly sig-worthy, however. Not there are any rules, LOL.

But it's a low cost thing, and can fill in the calendar gap on the budget without breaking the bank. Plus, I went through this with my last car, and was very happy with the results. Weird that I didn't think about it for the G. But like I said, new car and all.

All this has got me thinking....I should do the rear differential when I tighten things up and touch up the paint.
That's something I figured could wait for 2016, which is when I'm tentatively planning on 4.083 gears. I was originally going to do gears next year, but Johnny wants an ARK Grip catback real bad.

You've a 6MT, Lego... have you considered rear gears, or doesn't that fit your situation? My G is a daily driver, but I really barely drive it, and as such don't care about the MPG. That, and I don't have bumper-2-bumper traffic to contend with.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-11-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Z1 Motorsports, 4 quarts of MT-85 shipped for $56. That's a pretty good price.

I need to look at Z1 Motorsports more often. Particularly since I'll never be looking at Need4Speed again.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:13 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
I wouldn't really agree, well it may be one of the more quiet ones but honestly, paired up with my Berk HFCs, it's not obnoxiously loud but DEFINITELY noticeable especially on side streets between cars? last night I even set off an alarm for the first time on a side street and I've been told when I downshift my friend can hear me like from like at least 5+ blocks away. Pair it up with Berk HFCs and You will see what I'm talking about, I love it
I was referring to the sound level with the stock cats. Obviously HFC are going to change the sound

You've a 6MT, Lego... have you considered rear gears, or doesn't that fit your situation? My G is a daily driver, but I really barely drive it, and as such don't care about the MPG. That, and I don't have bumper-2-bumper traffic to contend with.

I haven't put much thought into gears. I have a 9 mile/30 minute commute, so I'm not sure I'd want to deal with it. I should probably start trolling the 370 boards for feedback on gears.

Up next...I'll need new tires in July/August, do I A) keep the duck feet and mount PSS tires on them, or B) pick up some 19" coupe wheels, mount PSS on them and flip my factory 18s in the classifieds.

Beyond that, Swift springs and Konis at some point after 35,000.

But that is a long time off. I could win the lottery or get promoted or who knows what finances will be like in 2-3 years.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:43 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Z1 Motorsports, 4 quarts of MT-85 shipped for $56. That's a pretty good price.

I need to look at Z1 Motorsports more often. Particularly since I'll never be looking at Need4Speed again.
Z1 is a good source, THMotorsports is another solid shop. Sorry to hear about your N4S experience, seems like you had a black cloud over you during those transactions
BTW, when are you getting aligned?
Old 05-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
Z1 is a good source, THMotorsports is another solid shop. Sorry to hear about your N4S experience, seems like you had a black cloud over you during those transactions
BTW, when are you getting aligned?
Not until the tie rod gets replaced. Waited all week only to discover after calling on Friday that my mechanic simply forget. He was pretty embarrassed. So we'll be making plans tomorrow for the upcoming week.

**** happens sometimes. It's OK.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:42 PM
AlphaPie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First full day in my new to me g37x. Hot rodding around like a teenager I'm really digging this bluetooth, my first car with hands free calling (finally). Tomorrow will initiate the first work day in it, I spend a lot of time in the car during the day, I'm hoping to cut down on this in an effort to keep it pristine.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:20 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts
^congrats & welcome sir. Same here w/ the bluetooth (for voice & music), got accustomed to it so quickly, couldn't imagine driving w/o it now
Old 05-12-2014, 05:20 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Found out what the wife was wanting me to pack a wetsuit for, vacationing in N.C. Whitewater Rafting Wednesday....... Horse back riding on Tuesday, and 30+ ziplines off of cliffs and through valleys today. I have to say; You all from the Blue Ridge Mountains in N.C. are spoiled. The atmosphere and the geography are about the closest place to heaven I would say.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread