G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 04:06 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by '11G37S
Hey Chris, I've been talking to Lance about the FI CBE... looks like that's the route I'm going to go.
Did we blast you all weekend with our exhausts? LOL

How was the rest of your trip after we split on 81 - did all go well?

PS I like your new Scranton Hilton Rooftop garage avatar
Old 04-28-2014, 04:37 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr

Did we blast you all weekend with our exhausts? LOL

How was the rest of your trip after we split on 81 - did all go well?

PS I like your new Scranton Hilton Rooftop garage avatar
Haha. Yeah. I really liked the sound of the FI. Chris said you two had pretty much the exact same set up even though his seemed a little bit louder. He thought it may be because his has been on longer and may have burnt through a little more. Plus I didn't feel like trying to do a tip swap with Ark.

The rest of my trip consisted of me stopping every 2 hours to clean the bugs off of my window. Otherwise it was much less fun than before we split off. It was a long trip home, I think it ended up being about 11 hours. It was worth it though.

Thanks
Old 04-28-2014, 04:40 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Haha. Yeah. I really liked the sound of the FI.
So did I... until I heard the ARK Grip in person. That was a game changer.

Figure I've got until Xmas to decide, so plenty of time to keep an open mind.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:56 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Haha. Yeah. I really liked the sound of the FI. Chris said you two had pretty much the exact same set up even though his seemed a little bit louder. He thought it may be because his has been on longer and may have burnt through a little more. Plus I didn't feel like trying to do a tip swap with Ark.

The rest of my trip consisted of me stopping every 2 hours to clean the bugs off of my window. Otherwise it was much less fun than before we split off. It was a long trip home, I think it ended up being about 11 hours. It was worth it though.

Thanks
I did notice his being a bit louder than mine.... I'm wondering if there is an issue with my FI RHFCs or perhaps it really is a matter of his exhaust being broken in for a few more weeks than me.

We were cruising for a good while - crotch rockets are always fun to ride with. I let him get up ahead in case there were cops. I'm surprised we only saw one patrolman that had stopped someone. Other than that, zero bacons out there.

I'm cutting my GoPro footage together tonight so it'll show the point where I finally caught up to you on 81 after some minor speeding
Old 04-28-2014, 05:10 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts

I did notice his being a bit louder than mine.... I'm wondering if there is an issue with my FI RHFCs or perhaps it really is a matter of his exhaust being broken in for a few more weeks than me.

We were cruising for a good while - crotch rockets are always fun to ride with. I let him get up ahead in case there were cops. I'm surprised we only saw one patrolman that had stopped someone. Other than that, zero bacons out there.

I'm cutting my GoPro footage together tonight so it'll show the point where I finally caught up to you on 81 after some minor speeding
Haha. I was starting to get tired of driving by the time you caught up to me. It was more entertaining being in a convoy even before the crotch rocket came up.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:25 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts

Thanks
I know our exhausts went on about a week apart. Connor when did your cats go on? Mine have been on for almost six months plus I think maybe I've done more miles on them?
OR, maybe I have an exhaust leak?

Originally Posted by Rochester
So did I... until I heard the ARK Grip in person. That was a game changer.

Figure I've got until Xmas to decide, so plenty of time to keep an open mind.
We do this thing called Christmas in July... Just saying
Old 04-28-2014, 07:10 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
I know our exhausts went on about a week apart. Connor when did your cats go on? Mine have been on for almost six months plus I think maybe I've done more miles on them?
OR, maybe I have an exhaust leak?
My cats went on Christmas Eve, however they were used. I've put about 5,000 miles on them, plus the 5,000 they already had. I may just buy new ones and sell the ones I have, just because. I'd be too paranoid that maybe they're clogged or something when I'm getting a tune.

BTW, I spoke to my local tuner who does UpRev and EcuTek and I am wait listed for getting a tune. That's fine with me because I need to make a decision on what to do with my intake manifold. The decision between the M370 and the Z1, or this other solution you may have mentioned... do you recall what it was? More of a home-brew approach with a stock manifold, a bottle of whiskey and a cigar, if I recall correctly?
Old 04-28-2014, 07:27 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Chris was of a mind that he could port his intake manifold with sandpaper and a sixpack. I was thinking there are likely intake spacers available, if you troll the Z forum.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:29 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
It sucks that I couldn't have made it to the meet with my car but the new trans, new power steering pump including synthetic oil change (the only thing I paid for) fixing windshield cowl noise and new exhaust gaskets are all making up(especially the first one) for not having it on saturday. Now it is fun and games while enjoying smoothly shifting (or down-shifting) gears ahhh feels good to have her back after nearly a week!!!

Next meet up I am even willing to drive down as far as the tail of the dragon
Old 04-28-2014, 08:34 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Chris was of a mind that he could port his intake manifold with sandpaper and a sixpack. I was thinking there are likely intake spacers available, if you troll the Z forum.
Yep, this. In "speaking" with some folks that seems to be largely what the Z1 consists of and at least one feels that he has modded his and gotten equal gains to the M370. Would likely be a long process I imagine though.

I'm leaning towards an M370 but am also on the fence as to whether it's needed or just preferred.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:36 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

My cats went on Christmas Eve, however they were used. I've put about 5,000 miles on them, plus the 5,000 they already had. I may just buy new ones and sell the ones I have, just because. I'd be too paranoid that maybe they're clogged or something when I'm getting a tune.

BTW, I spoke to my local tuner who does UpRev and EcuTek and I am wait listed for getting a tune. That's fine with me because I need to make a decision on what to do with my intake manifold. The decision between the M370 and the Z1, or this other solution you may have mentioned... do you recall what it was? More of a home-brew approach with a stock manifold, a bottle of whiskey and a cigar, if I recall correctly?
Forgot to multiquote... That's more miles than I have then, sort of tosses that thought process out. How long are you wait listed?
Old 04-30-2014, 08:18 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Yep, this. In "speaking" with some folks that seems to be largely what the Z1 consists of and at least one feels that he has modded his and gotten equal gains to the M370. Would likely be a long process I imagine though. I'm leaning towards an M370 but am also on the fence as to whether it's needed or just preferred.
I feel like it's more of a preferred mod, however when you've spent $2k+ on intake and exhaust, then add the money for a tune, what's another couple hundred for the intake mani that has been proven to increase numbers throughout the powerband. Just my opinion at least.

Forgot to multiquote... That's more miles than I have then, sort of tosses that thought process out. How long are you wait listed?
I might wait on this. What I may do is pull them down, check out the cores and see if anything is noticeably blocked or clogged (it really shouldn't be). They could just have more particulate accumulated and that is restricting the sound a bit. That's what I want to think at least lol.

If I do replace, it'll be after a tune because I may get an unresonated X-pipe for my system, depending on how much louder a tune makes the exhaust sound.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:54 AM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
She'll open up post tune. You'll hear the differences as the tuner starts adjusting parameters. Should be fun to watch!
Old 04-30-2014, 11:13 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Kevin did you toy with the idea of getting an intake mani before you got tuned? If you did, what was your differentiator of why you didn't get one? I'm really trying to figure out if it will be of any added benefit.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:35 AM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I did consider it but when I spoke to the tuner (he only does Z's and G's) who installed my entire FI setup he said it wasn't really worth it and that the gains were mostly at the high-end just like others who have posted on the forums.

This is the link I was referring to from our meet about someone looking to do both the upper and lower manifolds. I'm interested to see the results of having both the upper and the lower done.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...torsports.html

At this point, I am happy with where my car sits. The only other mod I would consider is changing my SRIs to CAIs and then a quick re-tune and swapping out the drive shaft. Then again $600 for a drive shaft is quite a bit.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread