G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 07:21 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Rochester, If you don't do the drop, are you considering a sport lip? It would look great and help complete the aggressive look of the wheels.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:15 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Wheels look pretty good Rochester! Do you have a pic from the rear?

Ive had better luck using a dead blow hammer than a rubber mallet or my hands/feet.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:10 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
VOSSEN only has the two offset options on the 19"x10" CVT for our bolt pattern: +42 and +20. If it really kills me, I may forgo being staggered, or drop the car, like you're suggesting. Going square means another big outlay of cash and hassle.

We'll see. I need to live with this for a bit. And yes, I'll suck up my discontent with the poke and show you pics tomorrow.
That Nismo drop is subtle and should be enough to get that poke just about flush w/ your fender, I wouldn't resort to going square in your case, you're very close to being Aces.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:18 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr
On a side note, I'm glad I changed to the 12" resonators from the 18" - HUGE difference.

I've decided to go purple on the Akebonos, we will be showing up with the same car. HAHA I'm JK

I can't wait to see what we both come up with in the next month. It'll be one fun cruise up to PA, that's for sure.
Don't forget the pearls!! I got some teaser pics the other day, I think it's going to look good. As much as I thought I would stay with blue I'm glad I adjusted.

I think 12 was definitely the way to go as well, I'm wondering now about non resonated... But I like the 12 a lot too. This should be a great cruise, looking forward to it.

Pics are coming. Car is filthy. If not tonight, then tomorrow.

But the wheels are on both sides now, and I'm all cleaned up. Had to remove that OEM front fitment bolt (forgot about that little guy.) Cleaned up the hubs and used anti-sieze on the hub rings and faces. I did this because the OEM rims were kind of frozen on. Took a few good kicks to loosen them. All lugs nuts were hand-tightened, then torqued to spec in alternating pattern. And I'm done.

Like Rex Havoc was suggesting, about stepping back and enjoying the moment... that's not quite how I feel. The rear wheels seem 1/2" too wide, and the front wheels have what looks like 1/32" clearance between the spokes and the BBK front calipers. Seriously... 1/32" Maybe 1/16"... hard to say. Either way, it kind of freaks me out.

Truth is, instead of being totally psyched, I'm feeling a little weird.
19x10". No drop, OEM height on RWD Sport.

I bought a new Canon SX50 last week. This camera has a 50x optical zoom. Pretty amazing. I took this photo from way down the street. Seriously.

J, I think it looks great in that shot. The rims really set the car off nicely IMO. I can understand you being on the fence about the poke, I may agree with you after you post the photos tomorrow. FWIW, I felt that washy about my car with the spacers on, didn't like the look dunno why. It's a big change, maybe it wasn't exactly what you pictured so there needs to be adjustment time? Would love to see a rolling shot of the car.

I can see where the slight pronounced gap in the front may bug you a bit but I think it looks good as-is. A slight drop and the front lip would probably give it a much more aggressive look but I think it's a head turner right now even if it's filthy... (Dude please don't look at my paint when we get to the meet )

If it helps at all... Got up early this morning to get my new tires put on. Rims wouldn't fit... Looks like the two coats of powder was enough to cause some fitment issues. Finally got it over the hub and it wouldn't seat flush. Back to the powder coater to have them zapped with some paper and checked. Tomorrow is another day and I have a 0700 appt to try again. On the upside, once we did get the rims on to check fitment I think it looked pretty darn good.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:28 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
If it helps at all... Got up early this morning to get my new tires put on. Rims wouldn't fit... Looks like the two coats of powder was enough to cause some fitment issues. Finally got it over the hub and it wouldn't seat flush. Back to the powder coater to have them zapped with some paper and checked. Tomorrow is another day and I have a 0700 appt to try again. On the upside, once we did get the rims on to check fitment I think it looked pretty darn good.
Constantly reminded the only thing that's truly perfect is what's sitting on the showroom floor. Every time we modify these cars, there's some problem (i.e. challenge), something broken (i.e. opportunity), or something not quite right (i.e. unique).

The trick is maintaining a positive attitude and rationalizing the money spent. Because really, there are far more unhealthy and expensive hobbies out there. Modding a sport sedan on a glacial scale really isn't one of them.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rochester:
doublea88 (03-28-2014), nishfish871 (03-29-2014), samuel1021 (03-28-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 09:50 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Constantly reminded the only thing that's truly perfect is what's sitting on the showroom floor. Every time we modify these cars, there's some problem (i.e. challenge), something broken (i.e. opportunity), or something not quite right (i.e. unique).

The trick is maintaining a positive attitude and rationalizing the money spent. Because really, there are far more unhealthy and expensive hobbies out there. Modding a sport sedan on a glacial scale really isn't one of them.
This, I grock. Very well said sir.

This is the "cheaper" of my hobbies, unhealthy wise is up for debate I'm certain. Right now I'm enjoying the opportunities and I'm finding it's also changing my outlook to a small extent. The perception of an issue vs. viewing it as an opportunity for improvement is carrying over into a lot of other things which, for me, is somewhat needed right now. Not to mention once the opportunity is seized there is the immediate sense of gratification and completion.

I'm hopeful I will be able to adjust fully and truly enjoy and space out (on a glacial scale) my next project vehicle if I go that route. I did that with another of my hobbies a few years ago and the final result was well worth the time and effort for certain.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:32 PM
kOrE

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Rochester, I think it looks great! Those are some sick wheels, good choice!
Old 03-28-2014, 09:15 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Finally feel like I made some progress. Yep, there's a gap. Yep, I can live with it. For now

Name:  D8832F3D-44A9-406F-8529-BF73CA14B5AA_zpskbsnlult.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  968.8 KB
Old 03-28-2014, 10:08 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Murdered your Sedan, did you? Never really had a picture of your car in my head until now. It's so black, LOL. I like it, man.

You and me with gap and poke... We'll be commiserating at the meetup, I think.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:17 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
You and me with gap and poke...
Partners in crime
Funny stuff. Wheels look great on both your rides.
Chris, those 4DSC stickies will really shout on that black G and those newly freshened Rays look sweet! So you're Gap and John's Poke right
Old 03-28-2014, 10:31 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Murdered your Sedan, did you? Never really had a picture of your car in my head until now. It's so black, LOL. I like it, man.

You and me with gap and poke... We'll be commiserating at the meetup, I think.
Lol, it really is huh? I tried to get a little color in the with the center caps being chrome and all... Thank you sir. I really need to get some better full car shots, I have a lot of angles but that's about it.

I think we'll be commiserating for certain but I'm looking forward to it.

Originally Posted by blnewt
Partners in crime
Funny stuff. Wheels look great on both your rides.
Chris, those 4DSC stickies will really shout on that black G and those newly freshened Rays look sweet! So you're Gap and John's Poke right
You got it Brad! The 4DSC stickies will definitely pop. I asked Ed if he would do a one off roll of frost but I'm thinking it's a no. I'm still leaning towards white but I think the silver would look good too. Thank you sir, you were spot on about the Rays and the tire sizes! Couldn't have done it without your insight, much appreciated!

It definitely feels... I dunno, more planted maybe? I'm not sure if it's the tires, the rim size or just that I want to feel a difference? It's pouring out now and I'm traveling next week so I'm thinking I'll have the dealer do an alignment while they're doing the differential and then open it up a little bit to see how things feel.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:24 AM
doublea88
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
Chris that turned out really amazing!! Just need to shine those tires and it will look really look despite the drop. Love what you did so far, paint looks really clean. Also, i can't tell but did you also paint the chrome sides?
Old 03-29-2014, 09:33 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by doublea88
Chris that turned out really amazing!! Just need to shine those tires and it will look really look despite the drop. Love what you did so far, paint looks really clean. Also, i can't tell but did you also paint the chrome sides?
Thank you sir, much appreciated. I'm hoping to get them shined this weekend if the weather cooperates. I'm okay with the gap, it isn't ideal but I don't find it offensive or anything. It's come together much as I had been envisioning which is nice. I can't complain about the progress on a car I wasn't going to mod ya know?

That lighting was very good to me though the paint is worlds better than it was. One more machine polish then wet sanding and I think it will be good. Definitely going to clear bra it when I'm done.

All the chrome has been wrapped or painted. The grille was painted (probably going to change that up a little)' fogs wrapped and the door trim wrapped. Blnewt has a great DIY for wrapping if you're so inclined.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by stiizy
When i had the STi i swear there was like maybe a 2 credit card gap from the rim to brembos.
That's it exactly. Two credit cards. I can't get a third in there. And you never had an issue with that, stiizy?

Oops. A little premature on the summer tires. We're in the middle of a snowstorm right now. Seriously. They're expecting 10" by morning. WTF? Longest winter ever.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-29-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:18 AM
aktif8

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
Finally feel like I made some progress. Yep, there's a gap. Yep, I can live with it. For now

Nice, I really like the rays in gloss black. When I had mine they were matte, and I got sick of them really quickly.

it'll look great w the black headliner

I've been way too obsessed with modding the abarth of late, since the G is basically a finished project. Having a turbo car is a neverending wallet emptier.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread