G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 03:55 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
The base model VW Tiguan comes with a 6MT on that 2.0T.

In case that's interesting to you, pretty sure that's the only SUV Crossover that offers a manual transmission. When times comes to get rid of my wife's Honda CR-V, we're going to take a good look at VW (for her). Although the styling is kind of boring, I like the mechanics and quality. As for style, the new Ford Escape is very nice. And for power in that segment, the V6 model Rav4 is pretty impressive.
There is more than just that SUV that offers a manual transmission... another one would be BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne, there's probably more but these are the two I can remember off of top of my head
Old 03-27-2014, 03:57 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,707 Likes on 3,515 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
There is more than just that SUV that offers a manual transmission... another one would be BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne, there's probably more but these are the two I can remember off of top of my head
Those are full-sized Sport SUV's, not little family cross-overs. Also, those are like 3x to 5x the cost. You're comparing apples to gold-plated oranges.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:01 PM
Mik3G37S

Those are full-sized Sport SUV's, not little family cross-overs. Also, those are like 3x to 5x the cost. You're comparing apples to gold-plated oranges.
doesn't matter to me, an SUV is an SUV to me
Old 03-27-2014, 04:24 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts
Pics are coming. Car is filthy. If not tonight, then tomorrow.

But the wheels are on both sides now, and I'm all cleaned up. Had to remove that OEM front fitment bolt (forgot about that little guy.) Cleaned up the hubs and used anti-sieze on the hub rings and faces. I did this because the OEM rims were kind of frozen on. Took a few good kicks to loosen them. All lugs nuts were hand-tightened, then torqued to spec in alternating pattern. And I'm done.

Like Rex Havoc was suggesting, about stepping back and enjoying the moment... that's not quite how I feel. The rear wheels seem 1/2" too wide, and the front wheels have what looks like 1/32" clearance between the spokes and the BBK front calipers. Seriously... 1/32" Maybe 1/16"... hard to say. Either way, it kind of freaks me out.

Truth is, instead of being totally psyched, I'm feeling a little weird.
What'd you clean it with? I always have this problem. I hate kicking the wheels when its up on jack stands. I usually use my hand to hit it lose. Then my hand hurts Alternate method is rock it back and forth if it is loose anywhere.

Sometimes changes take a little getting used to. The look and fit will look different from different angles. Remember that and walk around your car spiralling out and look at different heights

It seems tight, but those are fixed clearances. The system does not need room to expand and contract, so if you're in the clear if they clear!
Old 03-27-2014, 04:40 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dough1397
Sometimes changes take a little getting used to. The look and fit will look different from different angles. Remember that and walk around your car spiralling out and look at different heights

It seems tight, but those are fixed clearances. The system does not need room to expand and contract, so if you're in the clear if they clear!
Thanks, buddy. That was very supportive.

Just took the car for a quick drive around the neighborhood, checked things out... nothing rubbing. So I then I took it out on the highway. Two thoughts:
  1. Need4Speed perfectly balanced these wheels. That was nice to know.
  2. OMG am I happy to have these tires on my car again. It's like I've got my sportscar back.

Came back, re-checked the torque on the lug nuts. Will keep an eye on them over the next week.

Oh, and I just cleaned the hub ring with a dry scrubby, then applied anti-seize. The aluminum hub-centric rings just slipped right on after that. And I'm OK with giving the wheels a swift kick to break them loose. Sometimes a rubber mallet works, too. As long as they're just a little bit off the floor, and don't go flopping off the hub after it loosens.

My back aches a little, though. I'm old, dammit.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:49 PM
stiizy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pics are coming. Car is filthy. If not tonight, then tomorrow.

But the wheels are on both sides now, and I'm all cleaned up. Had to remove that OEM front fitment bolt (forgot about that little guy.) Cleaned up the hubs and used anti-sieze on the hub rings and faces. I did this because the OEM rims were kind of frozen on. Took a few good kicks to loosen them. All lugs nuts were hand-tightened, then torqued to spec in alternating pattern. And I'm done.

Like Rex Havoc was suggesting, about stepping back and enjoying the moment... that's not quite how I feel. The rear wheels seem 1/2" too wide, and the front wheels have what looks like 1/32" clearance between the spokes and the BBK front calipers. Seriously... 1/32" Maybe 1/16"... hard to say. Either way, it kind of freaks me out.

Truth is, instead of being totally psyched, I'm feeling a little weird.
When i had the STi i swear there was like maybe a 2 credit card gap from the rim to brembos..

Damn what size are your rears? i went 11 in the rear. you dropped yet?
Old 03-27-2014, 04:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by stiizy
Damn what size are your rears? i went 11 in the rear. you dropped yet?
19x10". No drop, OEM height on RWD Sport.

I bought a new Canon SX50 last week. This camera has a 50x optical zoom. Pretty amazing. I took this photo from way down the street. Seriously.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:58 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts

The rear looks great. The front looks like it needs a very slight drop.

I actually like those rims. Good call on them!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:02 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I bought a new Canon SX50 last week. This camera has a 50x optical zoom. Pretty amazing. I took this photo from way down the street. Seriously.

Wow.. Nice! Those look much better than I thought with the slanted spoke design, great job!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:19 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Ohhhhh YES John, those look phenomenal. I think I'm more excited for you lol.

When you plan to lower the car, I'm pretty sure any set of springs will pull your rear wheels in enough to help the poke.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by connoisseurr
Ohhhhh YES John, those look phenomenal. I think I'm more excited for you lol.
That's funny. Thanks. Yeah, I feel kind of weird about the whole thing at the moment. Need to decompress.

Originally Posted by connoisseurr
When you plan to lower the car, I'm pretty sure any set of springs will pull your rear wheels in enough to help the poke.
That's true... lowering the car would do that. Hmm. Damn it.

Well, if that ever happens, it certainly won't be before the meet-up. So you can check it out as-is then. Poke poke poke
Old 03-27-2014, 05:45 PM
Mik3G37S

Looks good, now with those wheels on, it's really itching for a drop to get rid of that damn wheel gap and it'll look even better !
Old 03-27-2014, 05:57 PM
doublea88
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
Love that look, subtle yet Sporty! I personally like the way it looks at that height. Not a big fan of lowering cars ( camber, tire wear, pot holes....etc.). It is hard to keep a Sedan looking modded but keeping that classy appeal. Good choice indeed.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:06 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Looks great J, what a perfect wheel choice, the backs poking a bit is why I suggested going w/ +45s over +42s but dropped just a bit and it will tuck just right. If you stay that height in back you'll still clear your fender under compression, just might kick a bit more grime on the back of your lower side bumper

The rear height looks pretty good, might give this thread a look for the front.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...the-front.html
Shoot some pics down the side when you can.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
Looks great J, what a perfect wheel choice, the backs poking a bit is why I suggested going w/ +45s over +42s but dropped just a bit and it will tuck just right.
VOSSEN only has the two offset options on the 19"x10" CVT for our bolt pattern: +42 and +20. If it really kills me, I may forgo being staggered, or drop the car, like you're suggesting. Going square means another big outlay of cash and hassle.

We'll see. I need to live with this for a bit. And yes, I'll suck up my discontent with the poke and show you pics tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread