G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 09:32 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
That's excellent! I was afraid the phone just didn't do it justice though when listening to both right after another it was clearly better. Definitely may be a noisy meet.

Ray's and tires go on tomorrow and it sounds like the calipers and engine bay parts will be heading back to me this weekend or early next week. Closer, getting closer.
On a side note, I'm glad I changed to the 12" resonators from the 18" - HUGE difference.

I've decided to go purple on the Akebonos, we will be showing up with the same car. HAHA I'm JK

I can't wait to see what we both come up with in the next month. It'll be one fun cruise up to PA, that's for sure.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:35 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Originally Posted by stiizy
I think i'll hold on to the car for a bit, only giving it 4 months isn't fair. Plus i ordered some wheels for it and a friend of mine is trying to get me a good deal on an Accuair setup.
Wheels are 6-8 week wait so i'll be rolling my stock 18's for the meet lol.
Would love to get some spacers for it but eh whatever...

Rochester I wanna see those Vossen's too, that's probably my fave Vossen wheel...
You should definitely hold onto it for a bit longer. Once you get everything taken care of, you really shouldn't have any maintenance problems from there on out, unless you're driving it like a racecar

Can't wait to see where you take your G with an Accuair setup. That'll be a fun project.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:58 AM
stiizy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're on FB you could reach out for Adam Race Consulting, his prices seemed pretty good. My 18s are coming off today as are the spacers (assuming all the calculations wee correct) as long as I have clearance I don't think I'll be running them again. Mind you, I've been wrong before...

I dunno, I loved the car immediately. Some nuanced items that "would be nice if different" but overall it works for me. I drove a Q50 yesterday and will probably be in one for three or four days in the next couple weeks. Was a nice car in some areas but not at all in others. At least IMO but I know there's other threads for that convo

Thanks i'll see whats up with them.
I'm going to keep it, I mean i do love the car. Next i have to get my soon to be fiance into something, she wants an SUV so we're looking around for one to purchase or lease by July
Old 03-27-2014, 11:01 AM
stiizy

Originally Posted by connoisseurr
You should definitely hold onto it for a bit longer. Once you get everything taken care of, you really shouldn't have any maintenance problems from there on out, unless you're driving it like a racecar

Can't wait to see where you take your G with an Accuair setup. That'll be a fun project.
I figure go air, I love the look when it's aired out. Plus it gives me the flexibility to adjust for these stupid NYC streets. Having the wheels made can't wait for them to come in
Old 03-27-2014, 11:06 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,707 Likes on 3,515 Posts
Thanks i'll see whats up with them.
I'm going to keep it, I mean i do love the car. Next i have to get my soon to be fiance into something, she wants an SUV so we're looking around for one to purchase or lease by July
The base model VW Tiguan comes with a 6MT on that 2.0T.

In case that's interesting to you, pretty sure that's the only SUV Crossover that offers a manual transmission. When times comes to get rid of my wife's Honda CR-V, we're going to take a good look at VW (for her). Although the styling is kind of boring, I like the mechanics and quality. As for style, the new Ford Escape is very nice. And for power in that segment, the V6 model Rav4 is pretty impressive.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:35 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
The base model VW Tiguan comes with a 6MT on that 2.0T.

In case that's interesting to you, pretty sure that's the only SUV Crossover that offers a manual transmission. When times comes to get rid of my wife's Honda CR-V, we're going to take a good look at VW (for her). Although the styling is kind of boring, I like the mechanics and quality. As for style, the new Ford Escape is very nice. And for power in that segment, the V6 model Rav4 is pretty impressive.
When that time comes the Tiguan will be available in a 6MT with a 2.0TDi drive train. I would totally go for that over the 2.0T drivetrain. There are STILL oil consumptions problems with the 2.0T motor. Plus, who doesn't love to get great mileage with a diesel, plus that extra ooommph of torque from that diesel motor
Old 03-27-2014, 12:08 PM
stiizy

We're definitely going to look at the Escape. She also wants to look at the GLK which i am highly against. also the Evoque is on the list i don't know why..
Old 03-27-2014, 12:17 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Stay far away from the GLK for a few years. I've heard many nighmare stories about those things. Evoque is so.... meh. I'm I'm buying a Land Rover, I'm getting a Range Rover, not settling on an Evoque.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:36 PM
Serpens

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2011+ GLK's are fine. The car has been out since 2010. The first couple of years of production had transmission issues that developed in the ~50k miles range that was caused by its integration with the AWD system. It's not a Japanese car but they're not going to strand you either.

That being said, if we're looking at luxury cute ute's the X3/Q5 are my favorites (under warranty).
Old 03-27-2014, 12:39 PM
stiizy

Originally Posted by connoisseurr
Stay far away from the GLK for a few years. I've heard many nighmare stories about those things. Evoque is so.... meh. I'm I'm buying a Land Rover, I'm getting a Range Rover, not settling on an Evoque.
Exactly how i feel, I want the RR Sport Supercharged of course..
Old 03-27-2014, 12:40 PM
stiizy

Originally Posted by Serpens
2011+ GLK's are fine. The car has been out since 2010. The first couple of years of production had transmission issues that developed in the ~50k miles range that was caused by its integration with the AWD system. It's not a Japanese car but they're not going to strand you either.

That being said, if we're looking at luxury cute ute's the X3/Q5 are my favorites (under warranty).
I told her to look at the X1/X3 and the Q5. I might have to revisit that convo with her.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:52 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts

50:50 sounds about right
This winter has been a bit nuts for certain. I thought by now I would have been able to get summer tires on but the weather here hasn't really cooperated either. No snow but low temps. Looks like one more under 40 morning and that should be it. I hope.
I've been running summer tires during the past two snow flurries. I haven't had much of a problem running the summers mainly because my all seasons u was running were pretty close to the wear bar so I tend to get more traction out of my summers, albeit not by much, but I just wanted them on the car. I was tired of waiting.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:08 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Got one side of the car done, and feeling kind of awkward about the wheels. I know 10" is pretty wide in the rear, but it sure looks to me like they're sticking out 1/2" from the fenders.

Um... Um...

Old 03-27-2014, 03:19 PM
stiizy

Originally Posted by Rochester
Got one side of the car done, and feeling kind of awkward about the wheels. I know 10" is pretty wide in the rear, but it sure looks to me like they're sticking out 1/2" from the fenders.

Um... Um...

pics or it never happened... haha.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

pics or it never happened... haha.
Pics are coming. Car is filthy. If not tonight, then tomorrow.

But the wheels are on both sides now, and I'm all cleaned up. Had to remove that OEM front fitment bolt (forgot about that little guy.) Cleaned up the hubs and used anti-sieze on the hub rings and faces. I did this because the OEM rims were kind of frozen on. Took a few good kicks to loosen them. All lugs nuts were hand-tightened, then torqued to spec in alternating pattern. And I'm done.

Like Rex Havoc was suggesting, about stepping back and enjoying the moment... that's not quite how I feel. The rear wheels seem 1/2" too wide, and the front wheels have what looks like 1/32" clearance between the spokes and the BBK front calipers. Seriously... 1/32" Maybe 1/16"... hard to say. Either way, it kind of freaks me out.

Truth is, instead of being totally psyched, I'm feeling a little weird.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread