G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 11:59 AM
stiizy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's weird though after it happened the car was still drivable. I drove it 15 miles to the dealership. I'm going to wait for the print out and have it towed to a local shop where I live and have them do it. I don't have $2k laying around for this. I'm going to fix it then sell it. Gonna get me another Sti.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by stiizy
It's weird though after it happened the car was still drivable. I drove it 15 miles to the dealership. I'm going to wait for the print out and have it towed to a local shop where I live and have them do it. I don't have $2k laying around for this. I'm going to fix it then sell it. Gonna get me another Sti.
So... if you're down on the car, and looking to go back to Subaru, should we scratch you from next month's Meet-up?
Old 03-24-2014, 12:21 PM
stiizy

Originally Posted by Rochester
So... if you're down on the car, and looking to go back to Subaru, should we scratch you from next month's Meet-up?
Na I'll be there, love the community here.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:23 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
That's pretty sad to hear, hopefully you can get it back for a lot less than $2k w/ a local shop. It would be interesting to know the true history of the car. Wonder if the dealer you bought it from did the repair?
Still, it could have been much worse than $2k so you have that
Old 03-24-2014, 12:53 PM
stiizy

Originally Posted by blnewt
That's pretty sad to hear, hopefully you can get it back for a lot less than $2k w/ a local shop. It would be interesting to know the true history of the car. Wonder if the dealer you bought it from did the repair?
Still, it could have been much worse than $2k so you have that
So the car has no front left axle but still drivable? I'm not a noob but explain??
Old 03-24-2014, 01:04 PM
aktif8

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr
I'm assuming it would add destination information and new routes. It wouldn't change the look of the system - that would be a SW update.

That's what VW said and you can copy the software installation and Navteq map disc all day. I'm just wondering if someone on here has their 2014 update disc that I can test out for an install on another G.

I have the update. It includes - on the 6 or so dvds - a map update plus a system update. This time around, the system update doesn't appear to have changed anything, but it is included. Maybe there's a gracenote update in there?

The DVDs are the same for any install, but navteq also provides a keycode that must be entered into the headunit upon the install (which is generated based on your VIN that you provide to navteq when you order the upgrade.) Without the navteq-generated code, you're not going to get anywhere.

(Edit: for the purposes of clarity - I have a 2012 nav unit / screen in my 08, which I recently upgraded to the 2014 maps.)
Old 03-24-2014, 01:21 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
So the car has no front left axle but still drivable? I'm not a noob but explain??
You've still got power to the other axles, especially w/ the AWD X.
I'd be curious what brand axles (or axles) were in there.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:34 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
I'd be curious to know why the axles were replaced in the first place...
Old 03-24-2014, 02:46 PM
kOrE

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr
I'd be curious to know why the axles were replaced in the first place...
Same here, I'm not a mechanic but I am pretty sure that axles aren't replaced as preventative maintenance. They are replaced when they go bad or break, right?
Old 03-24-2014, 04:27 PM
stiizy

Ok so I did some more digging since the left side of my car has been a constant headache. According to NID my car was hit front left side. This is why when I bought it I had vibration issues. The axle was torqued to spec causing the bolts to pretty much snap off. Dealer wanted $750 for the axle and 1100 in labor. Just went to a mechanic over by me and ordered the part and they'll do the work for way way cheaper and lifetime back their work. Bad thing is I have to wait till Wednesday or Thursday but whatever. My thing is I work 40 miles away. I'm not that comfortable with driving to work like this.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
There it is. Your car was hit and repaired (poorly).

We got no food! We got no job! Our pets' heads are falling off!

You need a vaca, buddy. I suggest a place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called Aspen.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:42 PM
stiizy

Originally Posted by Rochester
There it is. Your car was hit and repaired (poorly).

We got no food! We got no job! Our pets' heads are falling off!

You need a vaca, buddy. I suggest a place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called Aspen.
I'm actually watching that right now haha. Also looking at vacations online too
Old 03-24-2014, 10:09 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Man... I think the meet up crew is cursed. First KoRe kisses the back end of a truck and his G had to go in under the knife to be fixed, and then stiizy had his axle snap, and then today I came close to totalling my G when someone took the wrong exit on I -75 and decided to pull off to the right and shoulder before cutting across 3 lanes of traffic to get to the right exit. I almost t boned that person at about 75 mph.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:22 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by '11G37S
Man... I think the meet up crew is cursed. First KoRe kisses the back end of a truck and his G had to go in under the knife to be fixed, and then stiizy had his axle snap, and then today I came close to totalling my G when someone took the wrong exit on I -75 and decided to pull off to the right and shoulder before cutting across 3 lanes of traffic to get to the right exit. I almost t boned that person at about 75 mph.
Holy cow man, glad you're okay.

Maybe I'll work from home the next couple days.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:26 PM
kOrE

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by '11G37S
Damn! Yea, now that I have my car back I have been driving sooooo slow, lol. Lets all just agree to park our cars and rent cars for the next month, lol.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread