G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 10:02 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

Why don't you come early, and zip into Wilkes-Barre for a hand-wash facility? I'm sure there's at least one or more.

Google to the rescue! 13 miles from the Park. Here you go:

Sans Souci Car Wash LLC
1379 Sans Souci Pkwy
Hanover Twp, PA 18706
Well Chris... looks like we'll have to either get up early Saturday or make a pit stop on the way to the hotel. Haha
Old 03-15-2014, 10:09 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,707 Likes on 3,515 Posts
Originally Posted by '11G37S
Well Chris... looks like we'll have to either get up early Saturday or make a pit stop on the way to the hotel. Haha
Coming from so far away, I'm guessing you two are driving in on Friday, and staying overnight for the Saturday meet-up? We haven't talked times yet, but a Noon-ish meet seems reasonable. That gives us all afternoon to hang out, take pictures, drive around, etc., before heading out to dinner. If that's the case on Saturday, you two have all kinds of time to wash your cars that morning before heading out to the Park.

I'm impressed with your road trip commitment.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:15 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Coming from so far away, I'm guessing you two are driving in on Friday, and staying overnight for the Saturday meet-up? We haven't talked times yet, but a Noon-ish meet seems reasonable. That gives us all afternoon to hang out, take pictures, drive around, etc., before heading out to dinner. If that's the case on Saturday, you two have all kinds of time to wash your car that morning before heading out to the Park.

I'm impressed with your road trip commitment.
Yes. I believe the tentative plans are for Chris to make the dive from Memphis to Lexington Thursday night and spend the night. Then early Friday I'll meet up with him and we'll set off for PA. I think we will try to stay at the same hotel to make traveling a little easier. We had discussed making the trip from PA to Lexington a two day trip and just take our time coming back.

I'm excited about this meet up!

Edit: I'm actually getting my summer tires put on right now, coupe 19's, and then vinyl wrapping my chrome trim with gloss black next week. I just got a glance of the 19's on my G and I'm getting extremely anxious.

Last edited by '11G37S; 03-15-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Yes. I believe the tentative plans are for Chris to make the dive from Memphis to Lexington Thursday night and spend the night. Then early Friday I'll meet up with him and we'll set off for PA. I think we will try to stay at the same hotel to make traveling a little easier. We had discussed making the trip from PA to Lexington a two day trip and just take our time coming back.

I'm excited about this meet up!
Wow.

Yeah, I'm pumped, too. Meeting Choman last December was the first and only time I've ever seen another modified G37 Sedan. Maybe it's because I don't get out of the house much anymore, or because I'm just an old suburban family man in a small, conservative city... but mostly I think the G37 Sedan just isn't a platform that's typically modified.

That said, getting a dozen of us together should be pretty cool. Particularly when you two are so motivated as to put this much effort into it.

Edit: I'm actually getting my summer tires put on right now, coupe 19's, and then vinyl wrapping my chrome trim with gloss black next week. I just got a glance of the 19's on my G and I'm getting extremely anxious.
Nice! I'll probably install my VOSSENS next weekend. Can't wait to get off these snow tires and hit the pavement with a brand new set of PSS.

And Monday morning I'm getting my RHFC's installed. I'm expecting anywhere between indifference and contentment. Not really expecting awesome.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-15-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:29 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Wow.

Yeah, I'm pumped, too. Meeting Choman last December was the first and only time I've ever seen another modified G37 Sedan. Maybe it's because I don't get out of the house much anymore, or because I'm just an old suburban family man in a small, conservative city... but mostly I think the G37 Sedan just isn't a platform that's typically modified.

That said, getting a dozen of us together should be pretty cool. Particularly when you two are so motivated as to put this much effort into it.
I think I'm really excited because I've always been jealous of my older brother who took his Audi TT to a huge TT meet at the Biltmore in NC a few years ago. I think he said there were about 100 there. They lined them all up in front of the house alone the dive way for a picture. I'll have to see if I can find it. It's pretty awesome.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:36 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Four years ago I went to a "Maxus" event, which was a national meet-up of Maxima owners. I drove 6 hours for that, and stayed overnight. It was both amazing and lame at the same time. The lameness were all the ricers driving truly junky cars. The amazing-ness were all the non-ricers, and the sheer number of modified sedans. Easily 100 or more.

Given our G's are each relatively new, and it's a smaller crowd of much more similar cars, I'm actually expecting this to be a better experience. Just no best-in-show event, and no drag-racing. (Well, I won't be...)

Speaking of which, I took my 14 year old to see "Need for Speed" last night. OMG that movie sucked in more ways than I can count. The story was weak, the math was always wrong, and the physics were make-believe nonsense. We spent the entire movie mocking it out, so that part was fun at least.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-15-2014 at 10:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
Choman (03-16-2014), RexHavoc (03-15-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 11:25 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing all the cars and to meeting everybody. It's fun interacting in the forum but face to a name is always cool. I like the road tripping, I don't really drive my car on long trips too often normally so these last couple have been a lot of fun.

I typically avoid cruise nights and car shows unless they're more of a late model muscle car focus but I get the sense this will be a really good time. The two sedans I've seen in person I've really liked and I think the mods everyone is doing are things I can learn from and appreciate.

No drag racing for me either, I'll be there with ya. I figured the need for speed was gonna be awful, glad the bonding and mocking time was fun though!

I know there are things on mine that need fixed. I'm working on it slowly but I'm on the fence about the paint right now until I can garage it. I would live to get tires on by then... Still struggling with the way to proceed. Brad was kind enough to give me some advice again and, as usual, he's on point. I just don't know which set I should buy first. Logic says the all-seasons so if I hit a financial snag I'm good to go next winter. But, because race car says go with the summers since, you know, summer is here.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:36 AM
Rochester
Administrator

^^^
If you're going to be winding your way through TN, KY and PA in the Springtime, pumped up for a car meet, then you're going to want high-performance, summer-only tires on that car.

You know it's true, Chris.

[edit] Here's some perspective.

Last year, I had OEM Bridgestone RE050A tires on the front, and Michelin PSS on the rear of my 18" staggered Sport wheels. The fronts were almost out of tread, whereas the rears were brand new. By the time Fall 2013 was winding down, the fronts were losing grip and understeering. (Rears were amazing.) In November, I had the tires dismounted and replaced with my second season of Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60, which are supposed to be a high-performing snow tire. Believe me when I tell you they are not high-performing tires. Certainly not when compared to the tires they were replacing, tread-wear notwithstanding. They are squirelly and loose out of the hole, and absolutely horrible to maintain control when sweeping into a curve on dry pavement. On ice, they're excellent. On snow, they are so-so. I was b1tching about them to anyone who cared to listen. (And honestly, no one did, LOL)

But you know, Winter happens, and time slipped by. Here it is four months later, and I can't remember what all my fuss was about. There's a "new normal", and it is what it is. So in a week or two, when I put brand new 19" PSS on all four corners, I'm fully expecting a Night & Day head-jerk of hell-yeah awesomeness.

Do you see where I'm going with this? The point is that until you put high-performance, 3-season tires on your G37, you don't know what you're missing.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-15-2014 at 07:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
'11G37S (03-15-2014), RexHavoc (03-15-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 05:46 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

I do see exactly where you're going.... Dammit. And you make damn good sense. I ran the Blizzaks for a day then got rid of them but that was for squaring more than anything. The tires I'm running now are just tires though new. This is a time I wish I was still in NJ so I could get the tires at cost. I'll have to see if I can swing having my buddy order tires in NJ but delivered to TN... I wonder?

I'll talk to my guys tomorrow to see if they have any local hookups for tires and go from there. It may put some other plans on hold but I'm sure you're right.

On a different note... I just heard that my calipers and engine bay parts should be done on Monday. I'm stoked.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:47 PM
kOrE

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DAMN SNOW!

Name:  IMG_2124_zps6de4d144.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  74.6 KB
Old 03-15-2014, 07:58 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Speaking of trolling the Z forums... let me run this by you guys.

One of the best mods, hands-down, that I ever did to my previous car was replace the engine-torque mount bushings with solid poly bushings from Energy Suspension. Sure, there was more NVH, but I like that sort of thing. Moreover, I very much liked the (perceived) improvement in throttle response and the loss of wheel-hop. It made that FWD Sedan a monster off the line; (all things being relative, of course.)

Anyway, just now I ran into a thread that brought up replacement of rear differential frame bushings with Energy Suspension bushings marketed for the 350Z. They fit the 370Z, apparently. Which means they likely fit our car, too.

Thoughts? Does anyone follow what I'm talking about?

Energy Suspension 7.1119 Rear Differential Carrier Bushings Made by Energy Suspension

Old 03-15-2014, 08:06 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 750 Likes on 356 Posts
Speaking of trolling the Z forums... let me run this by you guys.

One of the best mods, hands-down, that I ever did to my previous car was replace the engine-torque mount bushings with solid poly bushings from Energy Suspension. Sure, there was more NVH, but I like that sort of thing. Moreover, I very much liked the (perceived) improvement in throttle response and the loss of wheel-hop. It made that FWD Sedan a monster off the line; (all things being relative, of course.)

Anyway, just now I ran into a thread that brought up replacement of rear differential frame bushings with Energy Suspension bushings marketed for the 350Z. They fit the 370Z, apparently. Which means they likely fit our car, too.

Thoughts? Does anyone follow what I'm talking about?

Energy Suspension 7.1119 Rear Differential Carrier Bushings Made by Energy Suspension

Once again, I've seen a Z with the engine and transmission mounts replaced with something more solid, he says it improves the response significantly. I don't think the work is cheap, though.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:13 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Bit of a different look

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-11-12-13-INFINITI-G25-G37-4-DR-SEDAN-MAS-STYLE-FRONT-BUMPER-BODY-KIT-/161144442963?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AInfiniti%7CModel%3AG37&hash=item2584f51053&vxp=mtr
Old 03-16-2014, 12:27 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
Oh my, that makes the Q50 front end look stellar.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:18 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
Once again, I've seen a Z with the engine and transmission mounts replaced with something more solid, he says it improves the response significantly. I don't think the work is cheap, though.
Oh man, you aren't kidding. Read through this DIY thread.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-bushings.html

In 2015, I'm planning on 4.083 gears, so maybe I'll consider rear diff frame bushings at that time.

Hey, 6MT Owners... what research have you done on STS between Stillen, B&M and TWM? I seem to be leaning towards TWM lately. Whichever one I choose, it's definitely happening Summer 2014 sometime. I'm thinking, after wheels and cats, the STS would round out my mods for this year, at a reasonable price point. Figure $250 for the kit, $180 for the Titanium NISMO ****, and $150 for the installation.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-16-2014 at 08:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread