G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 05:07 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
The real question is what else is he going to buy and install before the meet-up.
Haha I guess we'll find out.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:05 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
LOL, you're kidding, right?

The real question is what else is he going to buy and install before the meet-up.
exactly... something I would totally say...
Old 03-13-2014, 06:31 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Lol, John / Mike you guys know me too well!

I'm slowing down right now, tenants moved out so I'm carrying the house again.

I'm hoping to have the engine bay back together by the meet-up but we'll see if I can make that happen. Planning on installing the grounding kit on Saturday. I'd like to assess and see before I start spending money on 4AWG and other assorted bits and pieces. Other than that... I don't have anything new on tap I'm ashamed to say. Maybe an intake but I want to talk to John V. and get a better sense of cost and benefits related to a tune before I make a final decision.

Big thing for me right now is try and wrap up some of the ongoing projects that have been in works. Of course I have the attention span of a flea so that could change.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:28 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
So..... It's now time after a long grueling wait of 3 to 4 months to FINALLY get my car Uprev tuned! HP-Logic in West Palm Beach will work their magic on my sedan. I'm not getting my hopes up because they use a heartbreaking Mustang Dyno, but everybody think 305BWHP @ around 1230 today! And, with that I'll say to all of you be looking for my Uprev and HP-Logic installation and review tomorrow morning. Videos will be put up on YouTube and linked within the reviews.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:49 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by warped ideas
So..... It's now time after a long grueling wait of 3 to 4 months to FINALLY get my car Uprev tuned! HP-Logic in West Palm Beach will work their magic on my sedan. I'm not getting my hopes up because they use a heartbreaking Mustang Dyno, but everybody think 305BWHP @ around 1230 today! And, with that I'll say to all of you be looking for my Uprev and HP-Logic installation and review tomorrow morning. Videos will be put up on YouTube and linked within the reviews.
Congrats! Look forward to hearing the results.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:45 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
Congrats! Look forward to hearing the results.
Hopefully it'll exceed your expectations, we'll be waiting
Old 03-15-2014, 08:52 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by warped ideas
Numbers shmumbers. I'm just hoping you know something has changed for the better, and what's happened there is something to appreciate.

Should be a fun day.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:59 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Numbers shmumbers. I'm just hoping you know something has changed for the better, and what's happened there is something to appreciate.

Should be a fun day.

I like the pants dyno the best. Driving for the pleasure of it is really what I love about driving and so far the G really makes that happen for me. I don't have to be the fastest (though I still like to pretend I'm Speed Racer) I just have to enjoy the trip.

On the topic of tunes though. I reached out for John V to discuss this whole e-tuning thing. I'm interested to see what he says and what is involved. Not that CT is too far to go but, we'll see.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:05 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I've noticed here on this forum that people go right for the tune without considering swapping the UIM for the Motordyne M370 beforehand. I wonder why that is?

On my last car (2003 Maxima), I had fantastic improvements overall after installing phenolic intake spacers. Partly for the reduced heat soak in that heavy aluminum UIM, but mostly because of the increased air volume in the manifold... which is what I'm guessing () is where the gains are in this Motordyne manifold. Granted, that was a different engine, but only slightly... both are VQ variants. Keep in mind, I make these assumptions while holding up my Not-an-Engineer badge of awkward shame.

Either way, I'm 2-3 years away from making those decisions, so there's still buckets of time to keep an eye on the mod.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:15 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

I've noticed here on this forum that people go right for the tune without considering swapping the UIM for the Motordyne M370 beforehand. I wonder why that is?

On my last car (2003 Maxima), I had fantastic improvements overall after installing phenolic intake spacers. Partly for the reduced heat soak in that heavy aluminum UIM, but mostly because of the increased air volume in the manifold... which is what I'm guessing () is where the gains are in this Motordyne manifold. Granted, that was a different engine, but only slightly... both are VQ variants. Keep in mind, I make these assumptions while holding up my Not-an-Engineer badge of awkward shame.

Either way, I'm 2-3 years away from making those decisions, so there's still buckets of time to keep an eye on the mod.
That I cannot answer. John and I have discussed the tune and I know I'm not going to get it tuned without adding the M370. For me this is merely part of the data gathering process.

I haven't pulled the trigger on the M370 yet simply because there have been other projects in front of it. Once the exhaust is on I think I'll be done with performance mods for awhile and have the other projects to finish. Headliner, swapping out calipers, engine bay and cusco bar install. Then onto paint repairs.... My poor car suffers at times, I need to find a home for it. Was planning on moving to a different place with a garage but now it seems as if my son is considering a move to TN so that may change the plans again.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

That I cannot answer. John and I have discussed the tune and I know I'm not going to get it tuned without adding the M370. For me this is merely part of the data gathering process.
Well good then that the UIM is on your radar. At least I can follow what you're doing with it. I'm surprised there aren't alternatives to the Motordyne M370 out there. Then again, I just don't troll the Nissan 370Z forums for info, and I suspect that's where all the really juicy mod info is.

For that matter, hanging out in the Sedan forum vs. the Coupe is kind of counter-productive to following performance mods. But it's where I am, so meh.

Once the exhaust is on I think I'll be done with performance mods for awhile and have the other projects to finish. Headliner, swapping out calipers, engine bay and cusco bar install. Then onto paint repairs.... My poor car suffers at times, I need to find a home for it.
Engine bay and paint repairs? Oh man, you're going to be self-conscious when you see my G's engine bay. And my paint looks 99.99% brand new. I'm guessing Mike's does as well, but then again, his car actually is brand new, so...
Old 03-15-2014, 09:38 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Well good then that the UIM is on your radar. At least I can follow what you're doing with it. I'm surprised there aren't alternatives to the Motordyne M370 out there. Then again, I just don't troll the Nissan 370Z forums for info, and I suspect that's where all the really juicy mod info is.

For that matter, hanging out in the Sedan forum vs. the Coupe is kind of counter-productive to following performance mods. But it's where I am, so meh.

Engine bay and paint repairs? Oh man, you're going to be self-conscious when you see my G's engine bay. And my paint looks 99.99% brand new. I'm guessing Mike's does as well, but then again, his car actually is brand new, so...
The only option I've seen thus far to the M370 is the Z1 modded intake but without clear details as to what's been modded I'm reluctant to lean that way. Not that I'm an engineer or anything either but if you're only going to tell me that you did it and it works I'm not quite satisfied with that. For all I know you just carved out the innards of my doo-hickey and now I'm out of tolerance and a time bomb waiting to happen. NOT that I am saying or alleging that is what Z1 is doing, my experience with them has been positive this far. I just like to have a clear picture. Let's be honest though, as GFN has pointed out, the NA mods we do are negligible. SC or TT is really going to produce the most bang for the buck. But that's not the route I want to go at least not with this car.

Anyway, trust me when I tell you I am already self conscious. The paint on my car has never been perfect but I think a good machine polish will do wonders. I have been hit with car doors and goodness knows what else. There is also a gouge that was touched up but not properly repaired and I lost faith in the dealers ability to get it fixed so I'm just living with it for now. Most people don't notice it, I do. I know you will. but it is what it is. Engine bay wise... Heck I may not even have all my parts back yet. I'm hoping I do but don't have a solid timeline yet. Now that the weather is starting to cooperate and I'm not I the academy I have more than I thought I would. Of course I'm also taking over another region at work again and back in school so we'll see.

Wait, I mean I'm driving 15 hours! Of course it's gonna be dirty!!
Old 03-15-2014, 09:52 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts

Anyway, trust me when I tell you I am already self conscious. The paint on my car has never been perfect but I think a good machine polish will do wonders. I have been hit with car doors and goodness knows what else. There is also a gouge that was touched up but not properly repaired and I lost faith in the dealers ability to get it fixed so I'm just living with it for now. Most people don't notice it, I do. I know you will. but it is what it is. Engine bay wise... Heck I may not even have all my parts back yet. I'm hoping I do but don't have a solid timeline yet. Now that the weather is starting to cooperate and I'm not I the academy I have more than I thought I would. Of course I'm also taking over another region at work again and back in school so we'll see.
I need to get my front bumper repainted or replaced because the previous owner peppered the front pretty good. I was going to try to get that done before the meet up, but I don't think I'll have the funds to be able to do so.

Yeah... I've been trying to figure out what to do about that. I may just have to deal with it. I'll probably just give it a good wash and wax before we drive up.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:53 AM
Rochester
Administrator

For all I know you just carved out the innards of my doo-hickey
There was a mod with the VQ35 called SSIM (secret sauce intake manifold), where people would get out the dremmel tool and cut away the shelf between the upper and lower runners that were managed by the VIAS valve. It was a dumb mod for most NA builds, but actually worked for cars that were boosted.

I have been hit with car doors and goodness knows what else. There is also a gouge that was touched up but not properly repaired
I have zero dings, a couple of very small chips that I only notice when detailing, a few chips in my lower front bumper, and one scratch about 1/2" long that is poorly touched up, but low near the rocker panels. Otherwise, the paint is sweet; no swirls, dents, digs or scratches. Just beautiful Moonlight White.

Most people don't notice it, I do. I know you will.
Sadly, that's true. I'm going to have to actively dial back my predisposition to point at things people don't want to talk about.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by '11G37S
Yeah... I've been trying to figure out what to do about that. I may just have to deal with it. I'll probably just give it a good wash and wax before we drive up.
Why don't you come early, and zip into Wilkes-Barre for a hand-wash facility? I'm sure there's at least one or more.

Google to the rescue! 13 miles from the Park. Here you go:

Sans Souci Car Wash LLC
1379 Sans Souci Pkwy
Hanover Twp, PA 18706
The following users liked this post:
Choman (03-16-2014)

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread