G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 04:58 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by maxgator
Rochester... You the same guy from maxima.org?

Having just test driven the s compared to new g, there is no doubt that the handling is stiffer. Unless there is some other suspension component like bushings or spring rate that could account for it, it sure seems like sway bars are different.

It was clear to both my wife and I, long time maxima se owners, that there was a difference between the two. Especially in turn in and dip in corners.
I know. Can't explain it. The RWD Sport Package is so obviously a better driver's car setup, and yet AFAIK the only difference is in the struts... not the sways, and not the springs. Certainly the closer steering ratio in the RWD-Sport has something to do with driver impressions, but that's steering, not suspension.

The Hotchkis website describes the S-swaybars as having a different compression rating than both the AWD and the non-Sport Journey, and yet Newt here did the measurements, and installed sport-sways on his non-Sport Journey... with that same-as assessment.

Like I said, can't explain it. Sometimes I wished we had an actual INFINITI Technician on this forum. Sure would be nice.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:31 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 751 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

I know. Can't explain it. The RWD Sport Package is so obviously a better driver's car setup, and yet AFAIK the only difference is in the struts... not the sways, and not the springs. Certainly the closer steering ratio in the RWD-Sport has something to do with driver impressions, but that's steering, not suspension.

The Hotchkis website describes the S-swaybars as having a different compression rating than both the AWD and the non-Sport Journey, and yet Newt here did the measurements, and installed sport-sways on his non-Sport Journey... with that same-as assessment.

Like I said, can't explain it. Sometimes I wished we had an actual INFINITI Technician on this forum. Sure would be nice.

Perhaps it's the wheel size disparity. The larger wheels on the S package provide less "springiness" than smaller wheels with a bigger sidewall. It might be the reason for the planted feel you get with an S.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:40 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
Perhaps it's the wheel size disparity. The larger wheels on the S package provide less "springiness" than smaller wheels with a bigger sidewall. It might be the reason for the planted feel you get with an S.
17" AS tires compared to 18" Summers... impacting the suspension *that* much? I kind of doubt it, even though I don't dispute it's a contributing factor.

Here's the thing: run that theory by Wannabesport, and see how much he jumps down your throat. You've seen his rants. It's almost funny sometimes.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:43 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
+1 for that. When I jacked my F150 up and threw 38's under it the difference was night and day. I believe it is called sidewall sway in the truck community. You really feel it at speed and it takes a bit of time to get used to. For me it was a little unnerving at first, I thought the truck was actually losing stability but it wasn't. I guess the opposite can be said if you're going with larger rims with less sidewall on the tires. It's going to feel stiffer. The truck however sways like a boat a bit, but rides as smoothly as a Cadillac.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:47 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Rochester... You the same guy from maxima.org? Been on there a long time! I recently bought a 2012 s.

Having just test driven the s compared to new g, there is no doubt that the handling is stiffer. Unless there is some other suspension component like bushings or spring rate that could account for it, it sure seems like sway bars are different.

It was clear to both my wife and I, long time maxima se owners, that there was a difference between the two. Especially in turn in and dip in corners.

Oh, and does this forum have a mobile app? Because it is very difficult to post on mobile.
I use the IB Auto Group app. Search for myG37 and then save it as a favorite. You're good to go!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:57 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts

AFAIK the only difference is in the struts.
That's a pretty big difference.....
Old 03-11-2014, 07:22 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Any update on the meet up? I'll need to know soon so I can put it to get those days off.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by '11G37S
Any update on the meet up? I'll need to know soon so I can put it to get those days off.

End-of-month April... Saturday the 19th or 26th?

Best I could figure out, Scanton PA would be a fair mid-point, all things considered.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:11 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
GFN is partially correct about the adjustment options. They are 2-way adjustable in the front, and 3-way adjustable in the rears... as opposed to no-way and 2-way respectively for Hotchkis. But that's not why I bought them. I was forum friends with a member last year who offered to sell them to me at a very reasonable price. They were only on his car for a couple of months, and he was trustworthy, so I took the opportunity (with my wife's blessing, of course.) At the time, I had just spent money on a GT-Spec FSTB, so the sway bar purchase was a little ahead of schedule.

My original plan was to buy Hotchkis sways last Summer.
The Hotchkis sport asways are two way in the front and three way in the rear. (That sounds dirty I know) that coupled with the grease able bushings are what sold me on them.

Hotchkis Sport Suspension
Old 03-11-2014, 08:13 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

End-of-month April... Saturday the 19th or 26th?

Best I could figure out, Scanton PA would be a fair mid-point, all things considered.
Scranton or Willamsport both look good to me. I apologize, I'll try and drop the locations in MS streets and trips tomorrow. I'm still 90% in but definitely going to try.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
The Hotchkis sport asways are two way in the front and three way in the rear. (That sounds dirty I know) that coupled with the grease able bushings are what sold me on them.

Hotchkis Sport Suspension
Greaseable bushings are nice but seem like overkill. I've ran after market sways on other cars and never had an issue. I don't see what they really gain you. The car still needs jacked up so you can get to the bushings. For $150 difference, doesn't seem worth it.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:15 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

I'm not certain what the other sways are going for but I got my Hotchkis bars for around $320 shipped IIRC. I shopped around and caught a sale so it worked out fairly well.

I hear what you're saying but for me the bushings made sense and were worth it.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:23 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
I'm not certain what the other sways are going for but I got my Hotchkis bars for around $320 shipped IIRC. I shopped around and caught a sale so it worked out fairly well.

I hear what you're saying but for me the bushings made sense and were worth it.
For $320 it doesn't make a difference. I was just commenting on the msrp price
Old 03-11-2014, 09:34 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
For $320 it doesn't make a difference. I was just commenting on the msrp price

I hear ya, for MSRP I would have passed I think.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:41 PM
pdpMIATA

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
oo lala. All this talk is making me wanna start a build thread hehehe

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread