Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Thank you.. I see said the blind man..

We should start an ot acronym thread
Old 02-26-2014, 08:00 AM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
a question about oil change:
I asked infiniti dealer and they said in regular basis they put regular 5w-30 in G37 not synthetic oil. I dont think I want to use regular 15$ oil in my car... anyone using mobil1 synthetic here ?
Old 02-26-2014, 08:15 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 751 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by main_shoby
a question about oil change: I asked infiniti dealer and they said in regular basis they put regular 5w-30 in G37 not synthetic oil. I dont think I want to use regular 15$ oil in my car... anyone using mobil1 synthetic here ?
There's a definitive oil thread hashing out everything you ever wanted to know about oil and filters.

I'm using Mobil 10w-30.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:57 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
I think I can use this thread to ask small questions, rather than spamming new threads lol.
a question about oil change:
I asked infiniti dealer and they said in regular basis they put regular 5w-30 in G37 not synthetic oil. I dont think I want to use regular 15$ oil in my car... anyone using mobil1 synthetic here?
OMG, you weren't kidding? This is going to get old super fast, shoby.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/general...il-thread.html
Old 02-26-2014, 09:08 AM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
OMG, you weren't kidding? This is going to get old super fast, shoby.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/general...il-thread.html
I have no idea why it didn't show up in search. no kidding... When I search for oil, all i see is "coil" threads.
Thanks for the link
Old 02-26-2014, 09:13 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I have no idea why it didn't show up in search. no kidding... When I search for oil, all i see is "coil" threads.
Thanks for the link
Just a suggestion, but I also use advanced search and select 'search titles only' to narrow results down.

And speaking of searching, can someone spare me from searching....does the 6mt use a washer on the drain/fill plugs? I'm going to switch to synthetic trans fluid this weekend
Old 02-26-2014, 09:13 AM
Rochester
Administrator

BTW, in that thread (and IMO) the reason why you'll see Mobil 1 Synthetic overwhelmingly selected over other synthetic oils, is because when you ask the INFINITI dealership to use a synthetic oil, that's what they use.

If you research oil & filters, and find places that sell oil inexpensively (like WALMART), and buy your filters online, and if you DIY the oil changes... then you'll end up spending less money, less frequently, and on better quality product than otherwise.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
can someone spare me from searching....does the 6mt use a washer on the drain/fill plugs? I'm going to switch to synthetic trans fluid this weekend
I've noticed that I had no washer on my last few oil changes, and it's bugged me. So next oil change, I'm picking up a pack of copper crush washers at the auto store.

I also bought this little guy on Amazon a few weeks back... sitting on my desk here, waiting for the next OCI. I'm kind of curious what I'll find on that magnet the next-next oil change.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:22 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester

I've noticed that I had no washer on my last few oil changes, and it's bugged me. So next oil change, I'm picking up a pack of copper crush washers at the auto store.

I also bought this little guy on Amazon a few weeks back... sitting on my desk here, waiting for the next OCI. I'm kind of curious what I'll find on that magnet the next-next oil change.
That reminds me....I'm out of crush washers for the oil pan drain plug. I guess I'm going to the infiniti dealer today.

Got a link to that drain plug?
Old 02-26-2014, 09:23 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
For those that try searching the site it's 10x faster (and better IME) to just google your search rather than using the forum search engine, and just put "myG37" behind your question. For example
"DIY painted headlights myG37"
FWIW I use 5/20 Pennzoil Platinum w/ the bigger oil filters from the M56 (Bosch Premium filters)
The following users liked this post:
Choman (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 09:28 AM
Paratrooper

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Scored some weathertech mats for my G off craigslist(was a former member on here), and also a spare emblem and roof antenna (gloss blk, incase I decide to wrap the roof). It was all together with the mats. $100.

On a side note, I painted my brakes as well about a week ago. Just a simple grey color with high gloss, since I have non sport brakes (nothing wild).
Old 02-26-2014, 09:29 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
For those that try searching the site it's 10x faster (and better IME) to just google your search rather than using the forum search engine, and just put "myG37" behind your question. For example "DIY painted headlights myG37" FWIW I use 5/20 Pennzoil Platinum w/ the bigger oil filters from the M56 (Bosch Premium filters)
This is what I do regularly when searching for threads within the website.

Also, I use the east same combination for oil changes now. I'm running the new Pennzoil Platinum w/ PurePlus. It's one of those new GTL formulas, starting from natural gas and other essential additives. Looks like it tested pretty well over on bobistheoilguy.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:31 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Got a link to that drain plug?
Amazon.com: Blox Racing BXAC-00407 Magnetic Oil Drain Plug for Nissan: Automotive Amazon.com: Blox Racing BXAC-00407 Magnetic Oil Drain Plug for Nissan: Automotive

Be forewarned, I haven't actually used it yet, and it feels stupidly light, so I'm suspecting it's aluminum. All that means is to be really careful threading it into the oil pan, and don't over-torque it.

For those that try searching the site it's 10x faster (and better IME) to just google your search rather than using the forum search engine, and just put "myG37" behind your question. For example
Yes and no. The proper syntax is to search on:

some-search-topic site:myg37.com
Old 02-26-2014, 09:34 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

FWIW I use 5/20 Pennzoil Platinum w/ the bigger oil filters from the M56 (Bosch Premium filters)
I think the site search works fine. Search topics instead of by key words and filter by sub-forum--generally coupe/sedan/convertible, DIY, and whatever technical forum would correspond to your search. You can even filter your search by number of replies so you can find good discussions on whatever topic you're looking for.

These cars have been around for awhile, whatever you're searching for has probably already been done, or at least discussed.

I would have a lot higher post count if I wasn't so proficient at searching
Old 02-26-2014, 05:17 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
I think the site search works fine. Search topics instead of by key words and filter by sub-forum--generally coupe/sedan/convertible, DIY, and whatever technical forum would correspond to your search. You can even filter your search by number of replies so you can find good discussions on whatever topic you're looking for.

These cars have been around for awhile, whatever you're searching for has probably already been done, or at least discussed.

I would have a lot higher post count if I wasn't so proficient at searching
I dont like how it works. always end up using google and specifying using "site:myg37.com"
Old 02-26-2014, 05:22 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
I don't know if it still holds true, but for earlier VQ's DE's German Castrol was one of the best rated for oil analysis tests. I haven't researched the VQ37HR's yet.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread